*Renamed* Hobby Terminology Pet Peeves *Off Topic*

Turragor

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I add pretty much any abreviations being GW?

This game has a fair few models and rules knocking about. It's confusing enough coming back to a new iteration of a game without having to work out what a VLoZD is and why it's so much better than an AGKoT.

1 minute ago, Ryan Taylor said:

For me it's the following:

Rape

Unplayable

WAAC. As in: You are just a WAAC player so your opinion is moot.

Well I am a fluffy gamer. As if that makes you better?

If we're allowed to be serious can I say how much I agree with rape? I really think it's important that the gaming community make serious efforts to stop using terms that associate sexual assault with dominance and victory

Why not "pillaged" or "plundered"? 
Of course, these terms might be offensive to those players who have been pillaged or plundered in their pasts.  Or know someone who has been a victim of pillaging or plundering.   Better to just say nothing, maybe.  No need to trigger players like Moonclan fanatics.

Definitely saying hashtag triggered when deploying fanatics.

Another painting trend that annoys me..

(I realise this may be a bit controversial)

People who copy the miniature painting style of John Blanche. There are only a few cases I've seen online over the last few years, where I've seen both Blanche's signature use of expressionistic colour AND technical understanding combined together effectively.

Most people I've seen try it completely lack the understanding of the later so just end up with these messy-looking copycat models.

I think Blanche demonstrates some very clever painting skills not necessarily seen to the casual observer. I'm pretty sure his miniature painting is a more intensive and thoughtful process than most copycats realise!

(I would like to point out despite what I just wrote, I am still very inspired by what Blanche produces.)

My opinions on a lot of painting would probably get me labelled as a meanie at times, I think people really softball folks - which is fine - but people rarely improve without constructive criticism. The opposite is also true though, I posted a model I was quite happy with to reddit and a guy tore it to shreds with no useful advice. It cuts both ways. I don't see much Blanchian stuff but it is true that a lot more of it looks like a Pollock painting than like Dark Fantasy.

*sorry mods, I didn't realise the J word (like the dried beef snack) was considered a bad word here!

All art is subjective.

I think on reflection my point boils down to people bandwagon-ing popular trends in painting styles.

Please be inspired by others, but don't just copy them. Develop your own style!

I've never seen anyone really unfairly shred anyones work critically online myself, might just be the forums I usually visit.

I didn't start posting my painting on the internet until about 10 years ago - about the same length of time I'd been in the hobby at that point anyway.

25 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

All art is subjective.

I think on reflection my point boils down to people bandwagon-ing popular trends in painting styles.

Please be inspired by others, but don't just copy them. Develop your own style!

I've never seen anyone really unfairly shred anyones work critically online myself, might just be the forums I usually visit.

I didn't start posting my painting on the internet until about 10 years ago - about the same length of time I'd been in the hobby at that point anyway.

I guess the problem is that it's not art-art. It of course can be but there's this whole other practical 'tabletop' requirement to it.

With art (no real time for an art debate but bear with me!) you know, broadly, someone was trying to make something pretty or impart some kind of message.

With minis you don't know (unless ppl ask with directness and clarity) if they mean "Is this good for my average level on the tabletop?" or "Am I approaching Ben Komets or one of those lads in supreme skill?"

And then there's the scale with which you measure yourself and others - all our minis are relative not just subjective. When I see poorly painted minis posted and often wonder "why?" yet often I do the same and fancy myself ok but know there are some  much better than me thinking the same thing. 'Ugh, what the hell is that highlight about?" or something.

And when people ask, who is reading? I've seen some pretty dull constructive criticism on a par with the mini posted - 'thin your paints' is a common one. True but shorthand for a deceptively complex concept.

So I get what you mean. I just think mini painting is just too CONFUSING to find many pet peeves within.

EXCEPT 'pro painted' when it's for sale on ebay.

That's a different kettle of fish! That's staying as a pet peeve.

Quick Edit

This is kind of related and not at the same time - There's a thread in the AoS 28 Fb fanpage (maybe some here are posting there and will perhaps feel miffed at what I say -  ha! I don't really care ;) ) where someone is saying all the new art sucks (paraphrased) in comparison with the "golden age" of which most know only one name - John Blanche.

A lot agree. I don't really. The styles are different.

Even so it has certainly gained legs as a thread filled with what I dub 'whinge'.

And then, like a shining cowboy on a robot horse, John Blanche himself pops in and defends the modern artists and gives a few reasons why it may be the way it is (the style is certainly different). Of course he would, he - as should any with a bit of empathy - understands how it is to be an artist. The new artists aren't all lickspittles not fit to clean his boots, they've different workloads and different tools and different training and inspirations. Different base requirements from GW.

And yet, instead of that being the call to a return to sanity, the post churns on, seemingly unaware it should just die. The person they claim is better than all the others has just said that's not the case.

But it's art I guess, people have opinions greater than the intent or opinion of the artists who shaped the work.

Interesting thread but also feels like it is in poor taste.

19 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

I think after near 20 years in this hobby, I am far more inspired by the illustrations GW put out then the paint jobs they do for their miniatures.

I think minis and art would definitely derail this thread fully.  Its a discussion that reminds me of spaghetti and meatballs eaten by a toddler. No one is getting out clean...

Says the one who just posted a big post on it.

I can condense it to ontopic!

Phrase I do not like:

"The GW art nowadays is rubbish"

@Turragor that post about Blanche and AoS28 reminds me of how fans of a specific genre of Music often have much less of an appreciation of music a broad spectrum than the musicians they love. Case in point: a few of my friends as a teen were into rock etc, hated the stuff I listened to, and were then flabbergasted when Slash was interviewed for a music program and called Ok Computer one of his favourite albums. 

On the flipside, you have some of the recent recolours of classic comics I've seen show a total lack of understanding of lighting and colour theory. It can go both ways.

Going back towards the original topic;

"Sigmarines"

The constant comparisons between Stormcast Eternal and Space Marines (especially from those who are quite antagonistic about AoS) annoy me.

To be fair, I didn't particularly like them on first sight, but the more I read into them the more I liked them. I don't think I'd ever want to paint an army of them, but the couple I have for Silver Tower / Shadows over Hammerhal I look forward to painting.

I think GW have gone a great job of fleshing out not just how Stormcast fight, but of the Sigmarite realms they fight to defend. Reading the Cinderfall story in SoH made me realise how humane and relatable they actually are!

When I begin playing Age of Sigmar I tought they where actually and oficially called "Sigmarines". Then a month later I read a White Dwarf where they called them Stormcast Eternals. 

But in my group we just call them Sigmarines, its easier than Stormcast Eternals, and speaking Spanish you don't want to hear how we pronounce Stormcast Eternals :P 

"Eternos Forjados en la Tormenta" sounds better, but as GW no longer translate the name of his units in the spanish books... like Pink Horrors, they no longer are "Horrores Rosas" they just slap Pink Horrors in the middle of a phrase in spanish. Its so anoying! Argh!

GW: All according to Keikaku.

But thats its a totally different thread.

I watch a bit of Age of Sigmar video battle reports from time to time and I cringe each time I hear Warhammer 40,000 terminology being used.

'I am going to make an assault right now.' 'What's the AP of the weapon?' and my favourite: 'This is my psyker.'

Also: 'current meta at my local club' though this is usually used in conjunction with aforementioned 'help me with my list' post.

7 hours ago, Circus of Paint said:

Going back towards the original topic;

"Sigmarines"

The constant comparisons between Stormcast Eternal and Space Marines (especially from those who are quite antagonistic about AoS) annoy me.

To be fair, I didn't particularly like them on first sight, but the more I read into them the more I liked them. I don't think I'd ever want to paint an army of them, but the couple I have for Silver Tower / Shadows over Hammerhal I look forward to painting.

I think GW have gone a great job of fleshing out not just how Stormcast fight, but of the Sigmarite realms they fight to defend. Reading the Cinderfall story in SoH made me realise how humane and relatable they actually are!

Going to be honest before I decided to plunge in the fluff I called them sigmarines myself it was the audio drama series with Manny and Tarsem that finally made me realize how human they are and how they are nothing like space marines. They are far more relatable as well and calling them space marines kinda starts to fall flat on it's face in context that stormcast are men and women and know fear and other ranges of emotion as well. 

19 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

The Lord-Castallan and the Duardin Cogsmith in Shadows over Hammerhal are friends.

Both adorable and cool! ? 

I agree I loved reading the short story in the guidebook. I love the cogsmith he calls everyone "Boy" including his castellant friend sunhelm. I also enjoyed how both aelf characters were trying to murder each other while the cogsmith and lord castellant were shouting at them to stop. It took the cogsmith dropping crates on top of them to make them cease fighting. 

It's great how the loremaster just somewhat casually get's up and proceeds onto business calmly, I think deep down he was enjoying that fight. Also how the fleetmaster kills people with his bladed peg leg is funny and awesome. 

Archived