Retreating

Veterannoob

Question

So, my final game in Sunday's event involved Saurus retreating. Player asked how that works & I had no idea. Never seen it. Fyreslayers or no respecting Duardin would even consider such a thing, lol;) but now I've seen it done, seems easier than I'd think. I'll do a post about it.

Now, it appears there's no penalty, only can't run or charge. I guess be better about positioning to prevent such a tactics but am I missing something here? 

9 answers to this question

Retreating is very simple. You are no longer "locked in combat" as you can move away from a fight in your movement phase, the only limitations being that you must finish your move more than 3" away from any enemy models. You CAN run when you retreat, as it is essentially just a normal move.

You cannot shoot in the following shooting phase, and cannot charge in the following charge phase, other than that, feel free to.

It can be a solid tactic if:

a) you're playing an objective game

b) you don't want to risk the unit getting smashed in a double turn/opponent activation

c) or going all in and hoping you get the double turn to recharge something else

There is also nothing that says retreat must be immediately away from the fight.  You could retreat through the enemy units (forward) if your models fit, or if they can fly, as long as you end up at least 3" beyond them.  This can make it a powerful tool.

Retreating is a huge part of the tactics of AoS.  Try fighting large units of prosecutors that can charge long distances, the get a double turn and retreat over the unit they are fighting and onto an objective only for the Paladins to follow up a charge into the now exposed enemy. 

Archived