The Unofficial Tomb Kings Battletome Release!

release_announcement.jpg.5b475b8e2407076517b5c6ff1b321879.jpg

It's finally here! At the moment it is just on Mengel Miniatures because it was too awesome for the TGA downloads section (or too large of a file size if you want to be technical). I hope to have it up on TGA later today as well, but for now, head on over to Mengel Miniatures and download the Tomb Kings Battletome!

The Legions of the Kings await!

Mengel Miniatures (so you can read about what went into making it and download it)

or you can skip that and

Download the Battletome Directly Here

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 5:07 PM, Cinncinnatus said:

This is fantastic, and was curious if the 2.0 version was still in the works? I have a buddy who just bought a ton of Tomb Kings models and I wanted to give him this battletome to use with them but noticed there were some differences referenced in the FAQ. 

Yupp, still in the works, though it may be several months off still. Doing a bit more of an overhaul besides just rolling the FAQ in.

• Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

any potential for updates?

Or is this a “wait and see what the Legends Rules will be”?

I definitely second this question.  If there's a revised version of this in the works, I'd love to help in whatever way you need.  I would be happy to provide rules feedback (I've given feedback on the existing homebrew battletome elsewhere, but would be happy to do so again in this forum), play testing (of a somewhat casual sort, as my current opponent pool isn't especially competitive).  I can also do copy editing (used to do a bunch of that for a student newspaper) and painted and/or converted minis.  I'd offer artwork, I've done some for a vamp counts fan zine in the past, but the stuff in the current battletome is so far beyond my personal abilities that I don't think I could meaningfully contribute in that department.

I've got various tomb kings infantry characters (some official, some conversions), a casket, one of each sphinx, 40 odd spearletons (VC style but with TK shields), some bowletons (VC shieldless sword skittles with bow & seaguard bow & quiver on their back) & some chariots (crewed by VC type skeletons).  All currently unpainted - with the official line discontinued other projects cut in front of them in my painting queue - but I could get a couple units and/or several characters out of that done (in an unconventional, clearly-pro-nagash, black & necromantic green on snow bases color scheme) within the next month or two.  Sadly I'm a tragically slow miniature painter, so I probably couldn't get a whole army together in that time, but enough for a convincing skirmish type images, certainly.

Examples of my painted minis (these indicate the color scheme any of my own TK would be in, for other examples of my painted models, see minisception.tumblr.com/my-work)

Spoiler

tumblr_p4ui7icAyq1woua6zo1_1280.png

tumblr_p538l2Qlbs1woua6zo1_1280.png

tumblr_p538l2Qlbs1woua6zo2_1280.png

With Tomb Kings almost assuredly about to be entombed in the Warhammer Legends graveguard, it will come down to community homebrew like the endless legions to keep tomb kings around and relevant.  We've seen a project of this nature succeed in the past - the Chaos Dwarf community maintained a homebrew army book that was fun and balanced enough to see play in third party tournaments, and after years of the community just not going away they returned in an official form via forgeworld, a form that seems set not to remain officially legal in pitched battle even as the official tomb kings rules falls by the wayside.

If they did it, then the TK community can, too, and I'd like to be part of it in any way I can.

Certainly at the very least, if GW isn't going to update their points anymore, then you should feel perfectly free to correct some of the rather egregious points values from the 2017 handbook.

Edited by Sception
  • LOVE IT! 1

Faction design has come a long way since the first version of this project.  It would be cool to see the tomb legions done up as separate allegiances sharing the tomb king unit range, a la Legions of Nagash, instead of mega-battalions.  TK specific endless spells might be cool as well.  And there's a lot of finnicky bits in the existing allegiance ruleset that could probably stand to be revised or trimmed.  A lot probably does depend on what the legends ruleset actually looks like though.

Lore-wise, downplaying the animosity towards Nagash might be a better direction, but there's a serious conflict there between preserving the tomb kings as they were, which would mean enshrining that opposition to Nagash-The-Betrayer, and integrating them into the mortal realms as a proper undead faction, which would mean subborning their will to that of Nagash-The-God.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 5:24 AM, Drahazar said:

GW did say submit things and they could approve it so submit the battle tomb for approval.  At least they have rules in azyr army builder and the PDF is free

When did they say that? I mean then someone should submit it. Who is in charge for that? Is the creator of the book here on the board? With TK going legend they wont do updates anyway, even when they say they would.. so they just could give the book a go and we will be good..  So they community can update it and GW just read it and say yes cool go ahead

This was there response to me.  And my question.

Will the matched play points for tomb kings still stay on your website and in the age of sigmar app or will the app get updated and the points removed along with the points from your website?  And if we in the community try to balance out the points for TK would we be able to get them submitted and approved?

Hey there Duo! The points will still 100% be available in the compendium.  Were not sure if they will be updated at this point, but keep your eyes peeled.  

We've don't that sort of thing before, but never say never! Wy not send us the results at community@gwplc.com

On 7/17/2018 at 1:33 AM, Drahazar said:

This was there response to me.  And my question.

Will the matched play points for tomb kings still stay on your website and in the age of sigmar app or will the app get updated and the points removed along with the points from your website?  And if we in the community try to balance out the points for TK would we be able to get them submitted and approved?

Hey there Duo! The points will still 100% be available in the compendium.  Were not sure if they will be updated at this point, but keep your eyes peeled.  

We've don't that sort of thing before, but never say never! Wy not send us the results at community@gwplc.com

so .. why not send them or are we waiting for version 2.0 with maybe some endless spells and new points?

Well the guy who made the battletome is supposedly working on 2.0.  I don't know if he still is nor not and what the status is and when he will be done.  But I would like to see if it gets updated and submitted.  I only found out about the battle tome a few weeks ago I think it was.  

Just writing to say that I am also still interested in a 2.0 release from the wonderful Mengel.   If the rule set is balanced enough, the dream would be for it to be added to the official website and replace the compendium rules. Its a ton of work but modernizing the rule set, since GW is unwilling to,  might be the only chance we have at making Tomb Kings stick around in matched play. While many people have pointed out how GW bring back the line due to their inability to trademark the concept of Egyptian skeletons or European peasants and knights (bretonnians), just being able to field the army I have in a competitive setting  is all I want. I don't care if they are actually that competitive or good of an army but just to feel like my army isn't going to literally be entombed forever would be very nice.