Show me your Abyssal Terrors.. please

Greetings from the Warp

I found a high elf griffon with rider on ebay for 11 dollars, took one of my sons extra giant heads from his gargant kit (loads of great bits there) as well as an empire head, think it was a flagellant with sewed together lips (but stings look quite like teeth anyways. Wings are Dark Elf dragon wings, but I cut of the last section of the wings, they were too long and large otherwise.

Mind you, I only did this last week, as it's for a ladder campaign at my local store next week, so everything in this picture is still very much WIP. The vamp himself on abyssal terror still needs some highlights, fur behind rider painted and some shade/highlights for banner and some touch ups to legs, claws, wings and lance. You asked, so bear with me....

Here's how it's coming along this far. It will end up on a smaller base than in the picture, but same height - soaring over his cousins, the blood knights.

Would love to see some other conversions of this model as well.

Sorry about picture quality.

IMG_20170317_125734.jpg

IMG_20170317_125721.jpg

My one is Melchior on abyssal terror. I have two of them (only one painted now) It's one of the first models I have ever painted and so I don't want to touch the first one^^
IMG_20170322_124216.jpg

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Same as mine but I removed Melchior and used the Vampire Lord from the Zombie Dragon kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Melchior^^ I always preferred him to Zachariah^^ I think it would be one of the few "proxy" I'd use playing VLoAT instead of a proper one.
I like that beast as much as I hate the old ridden by the DS.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you all ( but then aren't we already?), I was going to build some black knights for my army today. However i red this post, googled a bunch and finally pondered the question....

What would the love child of dread abyssal and a dracoth look like. Now i have an abyssal terror xD

IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

I use this stuff:

199542881654.jpg

Or something similar to it, there are a number of effectively identical products under different names.  It's a clear, non-stick molding substance that comes in blocks like that.  You melt it in near-boiling water and it becomes soft, then press it over the detail you want to copy and let it cool, maybe run it in cold water.  Then you can use it to press-mold greenstuff copies.

Here's a video using it to recreate larger basing details:

But I mostly use it for creating mini stampers of smaller details.

Here is a little progress

Cut up and added the Arkhan armour plates I had from a spare mortarch sprue.

Green stuffed some joins and filled in some holes.

Added a load of skulls from miscellaneous skelly kits to beef out the chest and tie it back to the mortarch and morghasts i have in my army a little more.

cut up and stuck archai helmets onto a stormcast body along with a head and arm swap. The lance is from the empire general (more work to be done, filling gaps and maybe some extra).

Used the pedestal for the ghoul king as an extra support ( every tap of a key on the keyboard sent him wobbling otherwise).

The arms head and tail are all mortarch bits, cut down with a saw and bent and cut into place to get a reasonable pose.

Mostly I had a ton of spare bits and have been reading the forums and listening to podcasts (heelanhammer and facehammer mostly). All of this made me really think about trying out pretty big kitbash/conversion. Hesitant to say conversion as I am by no means an expert in using greenstuff and when i do, i try to hide its use wherever possible.

I wanted to go for that tomb king/vampire counts cross theme that runs through the morghasts and Mortarchs.

I don't think i've too much more to do, gap filling and neatening up some flash and stuff. I'm on holiday for few days but I'm keen to get this done when im back so ill post a pic in about 1-2 weeks hopefully (famous last words).

IMG_4124.JPG.2583d050466f267e7332b936161402d6.JPGIMG_4129.JPG.de34eeeac5a646d353735d00a447970f.JPGIMG_4131.JPG.ff289a833b7aef9ad253a0f4b7b083e6.JPG

I ended up going with a chaos manticore as the base for my abyssal terror.

You can find 2 pictures of it here:

Chaos manticore (including the rider saddle) with a terrorgheist head and balrog wings. Then a mannfred model without the cloak and the other vampire head from the zombie dragon kit. Pinned the wings in and used green stuff to build up the muscles/flesh around them.

I prefer going for the bigger looking abyssal terror models and not trying to be gamey for the one reason we all take this warscroll ;)

Going with what moon said earlier, i'm honestly not trying to be gamey with base sizes, i only had a spare 90mm oval. Gonna try and get the one in between 90 and 120 (105?) as that was the one suggested on the Ben Curry ultimate guide to bases (found in the TGA forums XD). Meanwhile i've pinched a 120mm from my brothers tzeentch that he's left at mine, to blu-tac (sticky rubbery material used to hang up teenagers posters for our non-uk friends) it onto if it becomes an issue for others.

Keen to make a tiered base with spooky spirits and skeletal hands coming out around the edges. But that really is a way off.

Also Please send me your bitz if you move again Sception. 

Archived