Sylvaneth for a fresh start

Dracothjay

Hi people. I've been playing various armies over the time, but now finally making a start with Sylvaneth.

im basically after hints tips and tricks on how best to use them. I've seen some players focus less on forest play and other players spam forests etc. 

Any advce would be appreciated.

okay for army building I you want 3 start collecting boxes they are an amazing value and between the three you get 3 of the treelord varients (you can build one of each, Treelord, Treelord Ancient, and Durthu) 48 dryads and 3 branch wyches.  A very solid foundation to build upon.  After that you should pick up 2 wyldwoods and then a box of kurnoth hunters and Drycha. 

After that its just alternating between purchasing wyldwoods, Kurnoth Hunters and a few Tree Revenants until you have reached an army size you are comfortable with.

To transport them the best way is to magnetize the botoms of the models and stick them on a backing pan.  The Wildwoods fit almost perfectly in a shoe box so get yourself some of the white spacers they put in pizza boxes, shorten the legs and use them as dividers between the wyldwoods and you can stack as many wyldwood bases as you'll ever need in one shoebox.  (For the trees.... they look better with the leaves but they are an absolute ****** to transport with the leaves as they keep breaking off, so thats up to you)

This way you'll build up a very flexible army that you can tailor to how you like to play. 

I once saw a box (couldn't find it on the gw webstore just now) that had drycha one of the treelord varients, 10 tree revenants, and 6 kurnoth hunters.  If you manage to find that, it would serve as an excellent replacement for the thrid start collecting box

First of all, have a look at the battletome. You will get 99% of people just say 'Gnarlroot' at you, and it's not the way to look at the faction.

Sylvaneth are great for movement shenanigans, through wood placement and teleportation, they have some of the best ranged options in Kurnoth Hunters (although I would not go down the spam route, expect a points increase soon!), and some fairly survivable battleline in Dryads, dependent on Wood placement and position. I would hope we also get some more definitive ruling on contents of said wood (don't remove the trees is my preference, but your mileage may vary)

I would look at the play-style you feel most comfortable with, and align that to something in the Sylvaneth toolbox. I went rule of cool, and have Durthu, a few Kurnoth Hunters with Scythes, and some dryads. I'm building a treelord ancient with my other treelord model.

• 1 month later...

To me, the base (and end?) for a Sylvaneth army is:

2 Treelord. Ancient+Durthu and Ancient+Drycha are the 2 most common pair that you will try mostly. Thanks for the Gnarlroot/Free Spirit battalion, and that Durthu is a monster (litterally). 

30 Dryads. You will rarely play more of them. 10/10/10 or 10(20)/10+5 Tree Revants as battlelines.

5 Tree Revenats. Those are the tax for the most useful battalion od the book. And they are the cheapest way to pick a battleline (as said above).

1 Branchwitch is needed.

Almost 6 Hunters (9 is better but 6 is mandatory).

After those, then go on with Drycha. She is just amazing.

Those are the mandatory choices for Sylvaneth, in my opinion. Then you will try something more special/weird/funny list, but these are THE choice to me.

On 3/22/2017 at 1:17 PM, Thebiggesthat said:

expect a points increase soon

I've tried looking for a basis for that, and all I see is that people keep saying that you should expect it. There were a few posts about it in the GHB2 feedback thread about how they should be 220 or 240 points per three models, and that's it. Have you seen anything else relating to this? Because I feel like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point, where people keep saying that you should expect it. 

I'm not arguing for or against a point increase on them, although I'd prefer to have them at 180; I'm just trying to see where all this is coming from. I play with a single unit of 3 bows, so my perspective is based around that.

@Kaylethia I'm hoping the point cost for the Hunters remains at 180 as well, I've had a lot of success running 2 units of Greatbows and one unit of Scythes. I've only heard about the points increase from a couple people who have only read speculation threads on the various forums.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:21 AM, Kaylethia said:

I've tried looking for a basis for that, and all I see is that people keep saying that you should expect it. There were a few posts about it in the GHB2 feedback thread about how they should be 220 or 240 points per three models, and that's it. Have you seen anything else relating to this? Because I feel like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point, where people keep saying that you should expect it. 

I'm not arguing for or against a point increase on them, although I'd prefer to have them at 180; I'm just trying to see where all this is coming from. I play with a single unit of 3 bows, so my perspective is based around that.

There's no basis but whiners 

Archived