Dangerous terrain - how to play?

Haanz

Question

Hi guys,

To keep it simple - my friend and I have been playing games on my gaming table, and it's got a pretty serious fissure of lava through the middle, about 2 inches wide. As far as I can tell, there's no explicit rules for crossing dangerous terrain such as lava, thornbushes, pallisades, etc.

How do you guys play something like this? Originally, we decided it was impassable, but found that slowed the game down too much. Then we had a house rule where you couldn't end your movement or break unit cohesion over the lava, and on a d6 roll of 1 or 2, the unit suffers D3 mortal wounds. I added a couple bridges (although narrow a bit of a PITA) to alleiviate the issue a bit, and then a couple of Realmgates and made it impassable again.

I still can't really decide what to do about it. Making it impassable can really slow games down, although it does force you to consider using the Realmgates and bridges, which can arguably make things more interesting (and make flyers a little more useful), but I can't seem to figure out the right kind of balance to making crossing lava still something you would consider crossing in a pinch, but keep the usefulness of the Realmgates.

Any thoughts?

7 answers to this question

We played a couple of games with similar obstructions and we played it as: when running or charging over dangerous terrain every roll of 1 means d3 mortal wounds. (Edit: on the running or charging dice that is)

Makes for interesting gambles without slowing the game down that much. 

You could use the Fell Chasm rules from GW's Shattered Dominion warscrolls.  You basically roll a dice for each guy crossing and on a 1 they fall in unless they can fly.  But there are other interesting rules in it you could incorporate as well if you wish.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls//aos-warscroll-fell-chasm-en.pdf

Archived