Your thoughts on third-party models for AOS

wayniac

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's just ban Sayl, problem solved [emoji23]

He's not 3rd party [emoji13]

If GW didn't charge $70 for Witch Aelves it would solve 3rd party problems for them.

I couldn't care less. Bigger fish to fry in life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have an almost entirely manic dwarf army I use for aos and no one's ever had a problem with it. The guys with crossbows are quarrelers, guns thunderers, axes & shields warriors .ect heck I even have manic balefire catapult converted into a grudgethrower. As long as your army is wysiwyg I don't see why it would be a problem. It's also much easier to convince someone to get into Aos if the buy in is 100$ vs 500-700 for a 1000 point army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I only play with painted and based miniatures on the table (regardless of to whom they belong), and I don't like non-WYSIWYG proxies like a spear wielding skaven counting as an elf with a crossbow.  I don't really care who the manufacturer is as long as everything is painted and there is some connection between what it looks like and the rules/what it represents.

Personally, one of the main reasons I've been a GW loyalist for so long is because I love the aesthetic of their models and game worlds. I've admired models from other manufacturers in the past, but I wouldn't necessarily want to see them on an AoS battlefield. I've never played against an army with 3rd party proxies, but I imagine that if I did it would take away some of the satisfaction because it would break the aesthetic. That's a minor personal thing though, and I doubt I would ever refuse to play someone using 3rd party models.

WYSIWYG isn't a factor for me at all because I love conversions, and if you're willing to accept a heavily converted model using GW parts then you can't really justify not accepting a 3rd party model if it's a reasonably good representation of the unit in question.

5 hours ago, Nin Win said:

I only play with painted and based miniatures on the table (regardless of to whom they belong), and I don't like non-WYSIWYG proxies like a spear wielding skaven counting as an elf with a crossbow.  I don't really care who the manufacturer is as long as everything is painted and there is some connection between what it looks like and the rules/what it represents.

This.

1 hour ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

Personally, one of the main reasons I've been a GW loyalist for so long is because I love the aesthetic of their models and game worlds. I've admired models from other manufacturers in the past, but I wouldn't necessarily want to see them on an AoS battlefield. I've never played against an army with 3rd party proxies, but I imagine that if I did it would take away some of the satisfaction because it would break the aesthetic. That's a minor personal thing though, and I doubt I would ever refuse to play someone using 3rd party models.

WYSIWYG isn't a factor for me at all because I love conversions, and if you're willing to accept a heavily converted model using GW parts then you can't really justify not accepting a 3rd party model if it's a reasonably good representation of the unit in question.

And this.

But the rest has nothing to do with the hobby, especially proxies and "I want to see how it performs". There are plenty of other games, much better as well, but there is only one AoS setting, which first and foremost is about miniatures (thanks to Tzeentch the times of ugly and unproportional GW minis are gone forever). 

2 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

But the rest has nothing to do with the hobby, especially proxies and "I want to see how it performs". There are plenty of other games, much better as well, but there is only one AoS setting, which first and foremost is about miniatures (thanks to Tzeentch the times of ugly and unproportional GW minis are gone forever). 

This is a good point. Some games are very much system-led, with the accompanying miniatures line not being particularly distinctive or inspiring, and being there almost as an afterthought. GW games tend to be more miniatures-led with the system there as a (sometimes quite wonky) framework for doing cool stuff with the world's best miniatures. So it does seem a little odd to choose the AoS system and then choose to play it with non-GW miniatures.

Exactly. Earlier that was understandable (prices, entry prices and generic miniatures) but now everything changed. Of course, if you use another company and their stuff is good and suits AoS, that's fine (as long as you know the degree, of course). But as the time goes it becomes more seldom, and all those who copy GW stuff (and were copying in the past) rarely can make them with such quality.

I don't have a problem with decent third party models in general as long as they're acceptable table top models to begin with. So an army of Mantic models is fine, but don't buy a bucket of cheap plastic knights for $5 at the dollar store and try to field them as an army.

I don't mind rare proxies to test drive a new unit as long I'm aware of it before hand, but don't show up to a random pickup game and try to pass off a cannon as a Mourngul during setup. I also don't care about full army theme proxies as long as I'm aware about it ahead of time, I'm okay with someone bringing an army of Mantic Forgefathers to a game of 40k and playing them as "sqauts" with Space Marine or Imperial Guard rules. Again that's something you do with people you know and don't drop on a random pickup game(but I'd be more open to that than the cannon as Mourngul).

The kind of proxying I'm pretty much always okay with is proxying different weapon load outs of the same model. I get that the guy can have a battle ax or a war hammer and you've modeled it as a war hammer, but you can run it as a battle ax. I'm not a stickler for making people magnetize or have multiples of the same model just for different models.  Of course it gets a little stickier if it's a kit that can be used to build two vastly different types of models.

After a 20 year hiatus, it was a 3rd party kickstarter for Ragin Heroes that actually got me back into the hobby.  I saw their latest models with tons of variety for a Sisters of Battle army as well as Dark Aelves/Dark Eldar all of which need some love in terms of new figures and I went in pretty hard.

It took a while for the first miniatures to start showing up but as they did and I started assembling them and painting the first miniatures I have touched in 20 years, it made me pull out all of my stuff in storage and then after a bit start investigating the current state of the game in order to potentially form them into units and structure and then, well I bought into AoS pretty hard as well and now frequent these forums as well as a few local Indy stores and the local GW store (I am in Los Angeles area).

I think the 3rd party miniatures I have gotten through this Kickstarter are kick-ass personally but I have started painting or repainting older miniatures in between bouts with these ladies and have really gotten into the whole world of AoS (I never pursued getting back into 40K when I saw the state of the game... my 3rd party Sisters of Eternal Mercy are waiting for the next edition to even  bother).

I did buy all of my books and the starter box from my local stores.  I also bought a unit of Deamonettes and a unit of Skyfires because they looked so cool.  One big problem I see with buying where you play or supporting the local shops or whatever is aside from the GW store, they have super limited AoS releases.  They are both heavily 40K/Warmahordes orientated in terms of stock (even books).  It would be impossible to play at either of these stores with just what they have available to buy if you want to play AoS.

I think 3rd party stuff is awesome but entirely agree with what everyone else said about proper representation of an army.  My Void Elves will be Dark Aelves and my Lust Elves I am doing as Slaanesh followers (also in desperate need of some love in terms of models).  I have a killer Deamon Princess that I converted from a game based on Dante's Inferno where you controlled Dukes and Duchess of hell fighting in the Malbowges and Hallows of Hell that leads my Chaos Army.

20170413_062000.jpg

Archived