Create Your Own Faction (why not)

Nubgan

On 5/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, Menkeroth said:

Maybe something like turning the table into water with bonuses for aquatic beings and penalties for ground ones (but flying units will be unaffected). Then the magic of aquatic priests would be to change the landscape?

Well sylvaneth do the same with the wyldwoods I think. So yeah that could be interesting. 

I've honestly been thinking about this a lot and I think I've got a good idea for a Destruction faction. Termites! For those of you who have ever dealt with Termites, you know that they love to destroy any wooden structure to make their towering mounds.

So my concept is this; massive Termite warriors ravaging the to the realms and cites of Sigmar to be broken down to build city size mounds to dominate the realms. War is the norm for termites, so feel they would very easily fit in the setting. There is also the idea that they could be more effective in combat against Sylvaneth (they are made of wood after all) and battlefield terrain.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Trout said:

I love your idea. But I wonder if you couldn't just do this already by mixing models from the Death line with some of the priests and flagellants of the Devoted of Sigmar faction. Sure, you wouldn't get the special bonuses of the units you came up with, but you could have the whole backstory. I would love if one of the locals had an army like that in my area.

Thank you! Quite possibly you could. That would do well for some of the characters and cultists. The regular line could be Free People Militia and Night Haunt spirit hosts smoothed together. And obviously much of it is to give another way to get wights on the table so, they're always an option :-)

35 minutes ago, The Door Master said:

I've honestly been thinking about this a lot and I think I've got a good idea for a Destruction faction. Termites! For those of you who have ever dealt with Termites, you know that they love to destroy any wooden structure to make their towering mounds.

So my concept is this; massive Termite warriors ravaging the to the realms and cites of Sigmar to be broken down to build city size mounds to dominate the realms. War is the norm for termites, so feel they would very easily fit in the setting. There is also the idea that they could be more effective in combat against Sylvaneth (they are made of wood after all) and battlefield terrain.

They would also be a great counterpoint to the Skaven burrowing through reality. The mounds could be filled with the detritus of what they burrowed through.

• Like 1

I would like GW to make new factions or fleshed or fleshed out factions from the existing ones.

i think the spiderfang grots is a thing. they have the arachnorok spider that can be build in many ways. Then there is the spiderriders and the hero on gigantic spider. 

Fora battletome release they could make a new hero on gigantic spider, a spider shaman and a infantry unit. This could be a spider version of the squish with herders unit. 

Maybe an elite unit of infantry that are like Spider-Man grots. Shooting webs from they're wrists and swinging between units and terrain(like the KO with grappling hooks) 

then the spider grots from the silver tower set could be mixed in as cheap throwaway unit. 

Then there is the scourge privateers that could be a good faction with some additional models.

A unit riding a giant version of a viscous Flying sea creature. Maybe dragonets. They shoot harpoons and could be build as a monster hunter units or a swift anti infantry unit with lots of attacks firing a brace of repeated crossbow pistols. The kharibdys could be used as amount for a hero too with some clever reprinting of the building manuals. 

The corsairs kit could make two different units. One pure fighting unit and a ranged unit. 

For elite infantry they could release a new version of the shades. 

The plastic sorcress is such a great and simple model that it can be used in any elf faction. She could be a sea witch in a scourge privateer battletome. 

For death I would love a mixed undead, mortal faction like suggested earlier. 

I'd like a variant based on the Frankenstein/van helsing universe. I like the idea of them seeing Nagash as their lord and savior guaranteeing their souls salvation from chaos.

Angry peasants with pitchforks forming the infantry

monstrous infantry being huge constructs animated into unlife by mad doctors. 

Blood dragons As the "knights of the realm"

The lords could be made up of the soulblight faction where the vampire takes the role of castellant and guardian to the peasantry in sort of a feudal system. 

Necromancers as wizards or priests for the cult of nagash. The Mortis engine could in such an army have the role of the sigmarite warshrine. 

On 5/13/2017 at 0:45 AM, Dorimant said:

Thank you! Quite possibly you could. That would do well for some of the characters and cultists. The regular line could be Free People Militia and Night Haunt spirit hosts smoothed together. And obviously much of it is to give another way to get wights on the table so, they're always an option :-)

They would also be a great counterpoint to the Skaven burrowing through reality. The mounds could be filled with the detritus of what they burrowed through.

Yeah, I think that would be great. I think at first, upon seeing such an army I'd be like "wth? you can't be serious". But once the backstory gets explained, that would switch to "oh hell yeah, let's do this!".

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Baardah said:

For death I would love a mixed undead, mortal faction like suggested earlier. 

I'd like a variant based on the Frankenstein/van helsing universe. I like the idea of them seeing Nagash as their lord and savior guaranteeing their souls salvation from chaos.

Angry peasants with pitchforks forming the infantry

monstrous infantry being huge constructs animated into unlife by mad doctors. 

Blood dragons As the "knights of the realm"

The lords could be made up of the soulblight faction where the vampire takes the role of castellant and guardian to the peasantry in sort of a feudal system. 

Necromancers as wizards or priests for the cult of nagash. The Mortis engine could in such an army have the role of the sigmarite warshrine. 

I think the Van Helsing/Fairy tail style universe would probably be a great way to widen the death range, there isn't really a Werewolf style creature for example and these would be different enough to really freshen up the range and take it into a new direction, I also think the current Vampire/Soulblight offering is a bit on the weak side, some regular/elite troops wouldn't go a miss there either, give me Kate Beckinsale in model form please! :D

• Like 2

On 13/05/2017 at 5:03 AM, The Door Master said:

Love it. I would buy an army like that. Reminds me of old realm of chaos with half human half insect models.

Your idea made me think of other insect types that could work. Colony insect eg Ants, wasps, and bees could all make good armies individually or even as a combined destruction force of nature that has had enough. Solitary insects make good monsters - we already have a giant beetle and spider so not hard to expand this.

Nice idea ?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I like the idea of an army of Spites. Maybe with abilities to randomly determine their weapon every turn, to represent shapeshifting, or maybe even the ability to trade out one unit for another of equal cost. I think they would be a very Destruction-esque army, but I would totally do open play to ally them with my Wanderers and Sylvaneth.

12 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I want to see an army of Behemoths.  If I were to pick what that is then I would expand the Destruction Gargants into a full faction.’

Big dumb drunk idiots stomping all over the little tiny people.

Might I suggest BCR? You must be drunk to climb on a freezing mammoth ;) 

10 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Might I suggest BCR? You must be drunk to climb on a freezing mammoth ;) 

Well for starters they are not giants.  I still want more giants.  Did I mention that I want an army of all giants?

Beastclaw are a bunch of fat guys riding weird elephants - which I am cool with.  I’ll most likely build a force of them when they get a new book.  But they are still not Giants.  In addition they cannot field a full army of big monsters as they have to obey the standard limitation on behemoths.  GW showed that they are willing to play with allowing an army of all big monsters with the new FEC book and so now I want the all Giant army to happen.

6 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Well for starters they are not giants.  I still want more giants.  Did I mention that I want an army of all giants?

Beastclaw are a bunch of fat guys riding weird elephants - which I am cool with.  I’ll most likely build a force of them when they get a new book.  But they are still not Giants.  In addition they cannot field a full army of big monsters as they have to obey the standard limitation on behemoths.  GW showed that they are willing to play with allowing an army of all big monsters with the new FEC book and so now I want the all Giant army to happen.

Nah, they're a conversion project waiting to happen ;) Bulky giants as stonehorns, Giants with a snowball ready to throw in their hand. ;) 

But the serious note, they are a Behemoth army. 

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

But the serious note, they are a Behemoth army. 

Maybe with a new book, but they are not designed as an army meant to field purely big monsters.  The only army that I am aware of that can currently do that is Flesh Eater Courts as they have the ability to remove the behemoth keyword from some of the big monsters.  Maybe Beastclaw gains something similar in the new book - but who knows.

Until that time I will stick with Gloomspite.  You can field 4 Bonegrinder Gargants if you want in that army.

Just now, Skabnoze said:

Maybe with a new book, but they are not designed as an army meant to field purely big monsters.  The only army that I am aware of that can currently do that is Flesh Eater Courts as they have the ability to remove the behemoth keyword from some of the big monsters.  Maybe Beastclaw gains something similar in the new book - but who knows.

Until that time I will stick with Gloomspite.  You can field 4 Bonegrinder Gargants if you want in that army.

True, Flesh eater courts now outperforms them in the one thing that shoul dmake BCR unique. It's a bit messed up in that way...

but to be fair I also resent all factions getting endless spells and faction terrain because it makes faction less unique. I loved Sylvaneth for their functional terrain pieces... seems a lot less special to me now. But I understand it's personal, some might love that their faction gets one (or more) of both as well.  

• 2 years later...
On 3/16/2017 at 10:38 AM, Lucio said:

Faction wise, I think we need to see something more closely associated with the Realms themselves, something a little more supernatural than we've seen so far, without leaning towards too close to the others. Maybe something elemental, an embodiment of the various realms.

HELL YEAH. Ive actually been brainstorming the "flamelings", which are basically the flames of aqshy that the fyreslayers tried to contain but it just helped them be able to roam free. Its nice to see someone with similar ideas!

29 minutes ago, micahlegobutter said:

HELL YEAH. Ive actually been brainstorming the "flamelings", which are basically the flames of aqshy that the fyreslayers tried to contain but it just helped them be able to roam free. Its nice to see someone with similar ideas!

Funnily enough, in the years since I posted this, I refined the idea.

Chaos Duardin, aka the Legion of Azgorth, where the race serves as a dark mirror to Teclis's Lumineth.

Rocky skinned armoured warriors, fire breathing, fire winged duardin, shapes of poisonous vapours that were once slaves but now transformed and imprisoned by sorcerers or steam powered constructs.

Ties back to the artifice and cleverness of the Legion but wholely twisted elemental magics

Lots of ocean based ideas in this thread.  I have to say, my maritime (cthulhuan) itch has not really been scratched by the Idoneth alone. At some point I even pondered the idea of customizing Akhelians with the tails of their mounts to make some eel centaurs. But those elves are just too skinny to look convincing that way.

Right now, my idea would be a band of mutant pirates, with all manner of sea creature mutations. Maybe a cult worshipping some long forgotten gods. With a ragged 18th century dock worker flair instead of the mutant barbarian look. Innsmouth, basically.