Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

I am very pleased that people are not immediately finding game breaking options. It is looking like a mid tier army which is what every new release should be. There is lot of potential for a player with skill to make very good use of this army. If the new ghb can increase the points on some of the obviously op stuff the overlords should find a good place in the mix. 

The main game breaking option seems to be the 6 Khemists plus 20 Thunderers with mortars combo, so 140 mortar shots turn one. It does seem OP, but it also seems all eggs in one basket, especially if you are going to put them on the board turn one and watch a 400 point unit evaporate to enemy pew pew. It also seems to be a surefire way to lose against certain armies that laugh at rendless weapons (Fulminators, Treelord Ancients).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My plan is to load up a Frigate with arkanauts and khemists, and then stick as many Balloon Guys on to it as possible, then charge them at the biggest blob of enemies I can find, like this, but dwarves:

Height-Source-pinterest.com_.jpg

The fact that they don't count towards the limit is ridiculous, I reckon you get at least 12 around a frigate, probably 15-18 if you tried, toot toot!

Edit: hang on, re-reading the rules it seems to suggest that you could basically put INFINITE Endrinriggers/Skywardens inside a frigate - they count as embarked. Madness!

14 minutes ago, Nico said:

Looks like a solid base. Are you tempted by the Battleshock immunity bubble of the Admiral? Otherwise that 30 Block looks set to pop.

What are you planning to put in the Ironclad? Presumably not the mortars as they have a long range? The Endinriggers don't take up space, so presumably the two 10s of the Arkanauts?

He is in contention for those final points, although one of the Command Traits also makes any unit touching a selected piece of terrain battleshock immune as well.  I'm waiting to see what other options are available in items and the like.  Additionally, one of the Khemists will be my general and he'll spam battleshock immune on the 30 block.

This is exactly what I've been thinking/talking about with Endrinriggers being a great choice. They heal ships, have good weapons, and can be fast with the grappling hook. Oh yeah, and no overburdening ships :)

Now we need  the right formation and you can get 1 drop, with Barak-Mhorna you will alpha.

im making Barak-Obama called it!

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How much are you guys planning on over loading the boats, just by one for the hero in each boat or more?

And I was thinking, khemyst can hop out with friends in the hero phase, buff up a squad and then in the movement phase bunny hop back into the ship to ensure he doesn't get shot/charged at in their turn. Cowardly but cunning ;)

Dwarves being aelves haha. At this point I just want my battle tome so I can plan my 2000 point army so i knwo what to buy. Really looking forward to the Let's Chat KO thread for help with that.

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How much are you guys planning on over loading the boats, just by one for the hero in each boat or more?

And I was thinking, khemyst can hop out with friends in the hero phase, buff up a squad and then in the movement phase bunny hop back into the ship to ensure he doesn't get shot/charged at in their turn. Cowardly but cunning ;)

I'm still figuring out how many endrinriggers is the right amount.  You only want to supercharge one per turn to get the most out of them since they will explode when the enemy activates.

Regarding the moving the Khemist in and out, you can't disembark and embark the same unit in the same turn.  It is in the rules for disembarking.  

21 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

I'm still figuring out how many endrinriggers is the right amount.  You only want to supercharge one per turn to get the most out of them since they will explode when the enemy activates.

Regarding the moving the Khemist in and out, you can disembark and embark the same unit in the same turn.  It is in the rules for disembarking.  

You missed the 't off can't. :P

A normal dwarf cannon out-ranges the "great" sky cannon by 8" gets twice the number of shots and when deployed in cover has comparable durability considering that it doesn't want to get into charging range like the airships.  and it gets re rolls to hit if close to an engineer every turn, a buff that can be applied across multiple artillery pieces.  Yeah it can't move around like the airship but it has a large threat radius and might actually kill something.

I've been one of the most excited for our bearded overlords but.... seriously?  the airships are very underwhelming and very points heavy.  280 pts.... I mean god Drchya is a much more deadly choice for the same points cost, she is more durable, she is nearly just as fast, and she can kill the enemy.  Everything these airships are not and she's often not even taken in Sylvaneth armies.  

again I apologize for my salt but I was hoping for something more than glorified rinos used just to transport dudes around.  I wanted them to be able to... actually threaten the enemy rather than just a ferry.     

edit

the ironclad does have good firepower albiet shockingly close range but again we are paying quite the premium to bring him at 440 pts.  

Yeah the more I see the more I think they are a bit underwhelming from a power perspective. But that's actually what has me most excited, they are going to be a challenge to play and I'll have to up my game.

I'm with you here fellow captain!

Rule of Cool overrides any actual rules[emoji41]

It's still by good to remember that every model in the army has a shooting Attack with most of them having a rend value. Some might have short range, but that's where the transports come in to play. In addition to that, there are some good close combat weapons spread around and there also seem to be lots of abilities making all those models shoot even more. So I would still wait for actual gaming, before judging the army. Shooting is in the end quite powerful thing in this game.

I am feeling a lot more confident now that there are at least two ports that will let us re-roll things, with the Mhornar being the coolest in my opinion ( think I can still paint them purple?) With that command trait you can pretty much guaranty a unit getting demolished a turn with these guys if you position them right. Adds a nice bit of fire power now, and it will even help out our ships should we not move that far (Remember, disembark, then buff a unit with the khemist, then move, then shooting phase buff + firepower) with the amount of bubbles the admiral could make they are looking more and more worth it.

I'm thinking for 1,000 points Mhornar list for starting out:

Admiral-General w/ special trait

Khemist

x2 squads of arkanaughts, one skyhooks and one volley guns

x6 Enginriggers, two drill cannons

Frigate w/ Cannon + amazing repairing hull

So the idea is that the volleygun company, enginriggers, general and khemist jump into the boat while the other skyhook squad sits in cover to provide sniper support. The ship will only be moving 8" but remember the general can help it run and shoot, so it adds more speed. Use this to flank around to target the enemy and/or deny a flank, then get out and get ready for a firing squad on a target, say some chaos warriors. 

The general designates the target and the khemist buffs the drill cannons to fire 2 times each, or he buffs the saws to finish off whatever is left / another target in a charge. They all open up on the unit, rip them apart, and then get ready for the next turn. the survivors jump back into the frigate and speed around before the rest of the army could really get into position, and after a few more movements they get into another position to open fire.

This could also be done with thunderers, but this list keeps a lot of them inside one ship, which depending on the army would not be able to touch them in the shooting phase and would have to charge. 

Also also... Imagine thunderers with cannons buffed up by the khemist firing in concert with the iron clad! so much dakka! anyone know if the iron clad can be buffed by his own signals?

I don't know if this is the place for such thoughts but I'm having trouble thinking of something that beats the Khemist + Thunderer combination. It can hide in boats for the guaranteed alpha and even if the boats die there's very little drawback in terms of casualties. To get mileage you'd have to be able to kill the boats and put attacks into the unit which is a heck of an ask.

Just on their stats, without any bonuses, they force about 46 Armor Saves. Even if you have a 2+ Armor Save, that's the unit. Against MSU you can just do splits and the Battleshocks will be brutal. Obviously the Thunderers can be Inspiring Presence'd which is likely the case.

Weaknesses seem to be Scenario but the boats help that a lot, I'm probably going to proxy a build for them this week using the Thunderer package. Hoping I can't see the forest through the trees with regards to this since there's so much you can drop it into and I haven't seen the Battalions or all the Allegiance rules up anywhere yet. I really wish in an already shooting heavy game the best combinations weren't consistently shooting oriented.

3 minutes ago, Gauche said:

I don't know if this is the place for such thoughts but I'm having trouble thinking of something that beats the Khemist + Thunderer combination. It can hide in boats for the guaranteed alpha and even if the boats die there's very little drawback in terms of casualties. To get mileage you'd have to be able to kill the boats and put attacks into the unit which is a heck of an ask.

Just on their stats, without any bonuses, they force about 46 Armor Saves. Even if you have a 2+ Armor Save, that's the unit. Even against MSU you can just do splits and the Battleshocks will be brutal. Obviously the Thunderers can be Inspiring Presence'd which is likely the case.

Weaknesses seem to be Scenario but the boats help that a lot, I'm probably going to proxy a build for them this week using the Thunderer package. Hoping I can't see the forest through the trees with regards to this since there's so much you can drop it into and I haven't seen the Battalions or all the Allegiance rules up anywhere yet. I really wish in an already shooting heavy game the best combinations weren't consistently shooting oriented.

yea the thunderers seem downright dirty, even with some of the other guns (imagine a whole unit of decksweepers like that boosted up; 10 + 10d6 shots at close range... absolute carnage) but the other units are fairly good boosted up. even just a 3 weapon Sniping companies of skyhooks can delete a character with a regular volley of fire from 24", so doubled is monstrous. Or, Some enginriggers with boosted saws ripping into units could be a great combo too... or boosted drill cannons! 

Archived