Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Narratively seem like such a fun theme on the table and in your display case, such a departure from the old foot slogging Warhammer world. Look difficult to paint though. Can imagine the assembly and painting on that big airship taking me half the year.

The airship models look great, but really mixed feelings over the direction. This is the harshest transition yet. IP being what it is it was clear Dwarves of the old tin hat pointy axe type were on their way out; this is the death knell surely. After waiting for long heralded release for quite a while I imagine Duardin players will be in all sorts of turmoil... nostalgia, elation, melancholy. I really hope keywords make it gel with other Duardin factions.

These are beautiful but being a dwarf player since 6th they do make me kind of sad. First the fyreslayers and now these. Look like the old line of armored short guys with warmachines in the back is over.

they do look fun to play though. Mobility is always great.

Just now, Urbanus said:

These are beautiful but being a dwarf player since 6th they do make me kind of sad. First the fyreslayers and now these. Look like the old line of armored short guys with warmachines in the back is over.

they do look fun to play though. Mobility is always great.

I agree, these actually look like the first dwarfs that are as fun on the tabletop as in the shelf. The old dwarfs with no movement and magic, but just shooting, no breaking and semi ok in combat were awful, and i have been playing with them for 17 years...

1 minute ago, Jamopower said:

I agree, these actually look like the first dwarfs that are as fun on the tabletop as in the shelf. The old dwarfs with no movement and magic, but just shooting, no breaking and semi ok in combat were awful, and i have been playing with them for 17 years...

Totally. The playstyle made my friends hate me! And I cant with a strait face say it was that fun. Its mostly the look Im going to miss.

The Dispossessed are still mentioned in the background and they are still the old dwarfs of old. I don't expect new releases to them before all the new Age of Sigmar factions are released, just as I don't expect nothing to the free people. But maybe in 1-2 years they will go back to AoSy adapt the old world armys.

This are Sky Pirates, they aren't the new dwarfs. They are totally different. But yeah, we have to face it. If GW release again the dwarfs, even being the classic dispossesed, the look will change. Just the same as it change from 6th to 8th edition.

3 minutes ago, Urbanus said:

Totally. The playstyle made my friends hate me! And I cant with a strait face say it was that fun. Its mostly the look Im going to miss.

I'm already visioning what the airship would look like with some classic marauder dwarfs as a crew :)

I don't really like them on first glance and I was really excited for them haha! They look a bit too over the top for my tastes, metal moustaches etc. They look more 40k. Will reserve judgement a bit until I see more of them but currently feeling a bit let down :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, for one welcome our new Kharadron Overlords!

Really though, they look really friggin' cool! Steampunk dorf engineers are right up there for me. I just had to get my order of Chaos in yesterday..

Outstanding. So, we have:

3 Airships (smallest appears to be around dreadnought size, and largest about Bloodthirster). They are named (all based on the picture file names) in order of size: Grundstock Gunhauler, Arkanaut Frigate, Arakanaut Ironclad. Have seen a tweet which suggests the Arkanaut Ironclad can carry units which is in keeping with the fact that it has an external door.

Character with top hat and cannon in his balloon. Called Brokk Grungsson, so perhaps a special character?

Three units. Balloon guys are called Skyriggers, large unit is called Arkanaut Company, tough guys are called Grundstock Thunderers. So maybe some in game relationship between the Arkanaut Company and the similarly named airships, and the Thunderers and the Gunhauler (somewhat like the Aetherwing / Raptor Sniper in game)

Four characters. Guy with an astrolabe called an Aetheryic Navigator. Guy with pistol and hammer called and Arkanaut Admiral. Guy with a still on his back called an Aether Khemyst. And the two handed hammer guy is called a Endrinmaster.

I am a bit surprised but on the other hand really very excited. I love Dwarves and particularly Warhammer Dwarves, but this is a completely new take which is both bold and (IMO) brilliant.

Wow! Full Steampunk! :D

We are seeing the new setting letting the shackles off Games Workshop's artists. They sure are beautifully designed. If I was to offer criticism, the chainsword and the glowing blue orbs look a little too sci-fi for a Warhammer army. (Not a problem though, I'd swap the chainsword with a dwarf hammer and paint the orbs as solid metal).

I think these guys would look great mixed in with the later Duardin kits like the Hammerers and flame thrower dudes. I think they would go well with Stormcasts too.

My favourite is either Sir Duardin or the unit on foot with nautical looking weapons. :)

Not a fan of the aesthetic + guns. It has put me off starting duardin.

But I can see the appeal and why GW want to move from a traditional Dwarf style.

I expect some awesome other faction conversions with gunship.

Gutted by this release. Just feel it belongs in 40k. Wanted cool new models and new rules that reinvigorated the current range. In the same vein as Ironjawz and Sylvaneth etc.

Have been a Dwarf player since mid-90s and this is a massive disappointment

It marketing genius from GW, all the gaming hipsters who keep banging on about ruddy Squats (despite I suspect most of them not being born when they existed [emoji6]) all the time are going to put their money where their mouths are.

Of course having more stunties to kill is never a bad thing.

For the life of me, every time I see the name, I think "Khadoran Overlords". :D Too much Warmachine lately, I guess.

These guys look great! I probably won't get the airships, but the look for the troops is fantastic.  a little whimsy, a little more advanced but fitting with the setting.  

For some reason, when I see this stuff, I'm reminded of the old D&D Spelljammer game.

My only disappointment is that the battletome doesn't cover all Duardin.  I'd hoped for one book containing Kharadron, Fyreslayers and Dispossessed.  That'd sell me on it for sure.

I suspect that market research has shown a trend towards high fantasy, rather than the grim dark fantasy of old. which is why aos is doing so well, and the models will reflect this 

True, but it has been sitting around in Warhammer background for years , steamtanks, gyrocopters, repeater multibarreled guns, mechanical horses, zeppelins and more. Just seems like they're putting the spotlight on it

Archived