Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Yeah, I definitely figured they were some form of magical device which provides lift, probably because "magic" to me is a better cover-all explanation than trying to come up with a reasonable solution... like gold-containing gas that is somehow lighter than a vaccuum, when a perfect vacuum weighs zero grams, so a liter of perfect vacuum weighs 0.18 grams less than a liter of helium... Or it's just magic gas. Either way, magic.

PS - they totally look like Deadpool under those suits. Hairless, covered in radiation burns and scars from living in the high altitude aetherwinds. That's why they're never seen outside of their suits, their hideously ugly and beardless... at least that's my theory.

If the book and the fluff doesn't kill all my enthusiasm I am definitely modeling one of the Arkanite company without a helmet and a face only a meat grinder could love. 

23 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

If the book and the fluff doesn't kill all my enthusiasm I am definitely modeling one of the Arkanite company without a helmet and a face only a meat grinder could love. 

Yeah, I've considered making a few like that myself... no beard, ears burnt off, face mangled... probably somewhere between Freddy Krueger and Mason Verger.

The thing that really gets my aether-gold going is the basing on these guys. Could do some cool stuff with floating rock bases, cloud bases, sky bases, things like that...I just realized the gold thing works even better for these guys...they are pirates, they love gold. 

7 hours ago, Grand Exemplar said:

As far as the army goes firstly, its strange that GW create an "aetherpunk" faction after an Aetherpunk set in MTG.

Oh, to be young again... There are influences far older than M:tG.  In gaming, we had Sky Galleons of Mars and Spelljammer long before anyone tapped a card.  This is straight-up Jules Verne/Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff.  Don't imagine for a moment that WotC didn't crib this stuff from somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, HeadHunter said:

Oh, to be young again... There are influences far older than M:tG.  In gaming, we had Sky Galleons of Mars and Spelljammer long before anyone tapped a card.  This is straight-up Jules Verne/Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff.  Don't imagine for a moment that WotC didn't crib this stuff from somewhere else.

Not to mention video games like the Final Fantasy series (especially 6), Chronotrigger, and many others...

Man, the hardest part about these Kharadron Overlord leaks is waiting for more information!

7 hours ago, BadMoon said:

Funny you say that, I'd looked at the new GW "bronze orbs" and just saw it as a balloon inside a protective metal armour casing held up by metal girder rigging. Not exactly realistic, unless the balloon was filled with some arcane gas that was able to lift the balloon, the ship, and the extra armour plastered on both the balloon and the hull. Any time I've ever drawn flying airships I've always got stuck on the issue of protecting the balloon from cannon fire and an armoured shell plus mega-lift sorcery is about the only solution I've been able to come up with!

In theory of course they could be some kind of spherical grav-engine powered by runes...

I have thought about steam punk dwarves, so forgive the following rambling.

OK, so realistically one of the key issues with steampunk being feasible is actually the defining aspect of it: the steam engine. Basically the power output of a steam engine is pretty closely related to the size of the boiler, which then drives the requirements for fuel and water. So the more power you want to create the only solution basically is to build a bigger boiler (compare to internal combustion where you can do a variety of tricks around compressing air flows, turbo charging, super charging etc.). The issue with this is that for things like powered armour or mechs the required engine to make them work is huge, and their resource consumption is huge (hence why in World War 1 one of the first acts of the British was to secure their coaling stations around the world to ensure they could actually patrol the world), which makes the logistics of these things not really work.

Duardin rune technology though answers a lot of these issues. A rune of fire embedded in a water tank removes the need for an external fuel source, and also improves how quickly the engine provides useful work. Runes of strength on the suit themselves reduces the power requirements from the boiler. Runes of stone on the armour means it can be lighter while providing good protection again reducing power requirements, advanced forging to make the steam engine a sextuple expansion, runes to act as batteries for energy created by the steam turbine. (quick aside: basically I imagine the main use for the steam engine is to basically drive a turbine engine to provide electrical energy to the suit). All of these things would make steam powered armour much more workable.

Applying this to the Overlords, the little bit of information on aether-gold (again a little quick aside: I like this name because it suggests science but also fantasy, and links back to Duardin gold madness and also the concept of a rare and precious thing) suggests both a power source and also a fuel source. So perhaps the aether-gold is actually a combination of cavorite (ref. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cavorite) and super fuel source? This would explain the balloons - they both provide a source of lift and also power for other systems. That would make the 'balloon's a combination spherical grav-engine and also the crafts fuel. I would think they will also make use of runes to control and work with the aether-gold which is described as very dangerous.

Additionally looking at all the models we can see that they are all wearing back packs of various sizes and covered with runes. I think they will be powered by aether-gold, and supplemented by runic power.

18 hours ago, Grand Exemplar said:

I understand all the points people are making. The overlords are great models but painted quite badly (scheme wise) i think with the right balance they might look great. Though Dwarfs look after their equipment it wouldnt be flawlessly clean, there would still be dents, oil stains and the like. This weathered look would really make them pop. 

As far as the army goes firstly, its strange that GW create an "aetherpunk" faction after an Aetherpunk set in MTG.

Secondly, they are a unique twist on the typical fantasy dwarf. much like the Fyreslayers. As GW are trying to move to more unique imagry i can sense more and more unique looking factions based loosely on the fantasy type setting.

I think that when we see the "core" faction im sensing that we will see more stone like armour, the artillery and probably tanks, boar or goat riders. etc etc

This army was designed around 2-3 years ago by mr. John Blanche, so I don't think it has anything do with any recently released MTG sets :P 

1 hour ago, Nevvermore said:

This army was designed around 2-3 years ago by mr. John Blanche, so I don't think it has anything do with any recently released MTG sets :P 

I was going to ask where the info on Blanche's design involvement came from - something about putting the basic concept together while on holiday? - but there's one of his pieces in the preview. Dang it looks cool.

For all that there is something sinister with the rapacious mercantilism and the masks - love the Deadpool ideas - there's also something kind of stirring about these guys' background, even from the few tiny hints we've seen. Sailing above the clouds, swinging from the rigging, returning to the "City of the First Sunrise" with plunder... that's kind of hopeful and optimistic, isn't it?

That in itself is completely different from the tone of the old WHF dwarves, who were all about the long slow decline and bitterly lamenting for what had been taken by the elves/goblins/skaven. Which is cool! That fading of the light stuff in the old world was never done so well as when it was about the ruins of the old dwarf holds. But this is something different.

31 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

I was going to ask where the info on Blanche's design involvement came from - something about putting the basic concept together while on holiday? - but there's one of his pieces in the preview. Dang it looks cool.

Well he said it himself on FB, no more details than that though. But it's cool to know that he's still in the thick of it designing new and original stuff :)

edit: To be clear, he didn't say he designed the entire faction, just that he drew pictures of them a few years ago. I'm inferring that they were his designs.

@Dez are you really a manic fanboy or paid shill I wonder? What else is there to make of all these posts in just a single thread... Top notch meaningful DPRK style addition to the conversation.

Posted Wednesday at 04:36 AM
I'm so into them, they are better than what I'd imagined they'd be.

Posted Wednesday at 05:55 AM
Hyped

Posted Wednesday at 05:17 PM
I love them, every last one. Even the Balloons, which after the Arkanaut Ironclad is becoming my favorite. There's nothing I'm 'meh' about.

Posted yesterday at 04:06 AM
I still love them :)

Posted 20 hours ago

I love all of the different opinions on Kharadron Overlords. I feel like usually we see a new faction/model and it's universally loved/panned. Personally they are better than I imagined, and I feel I had high expectations. I don't know how many times I've watched the video through, or just gazed at the pics. Totally hooked, love at first sight haha.

Posted 20 hours ago (edited)
Everyone is flying high again!

Personally not a fan at all, appreciate the sculpts not the feel. Not saying Tolkienesque dwarves were all that should be explored, but after those orc releases I kind of hoped that maybe we could return to normal scaled models, apparently not. These 'minis' don't just look grotesque, this steampunk/advanced tech is not something I can identify with in an, even epic, fantasy setting.  

No one is forcing me to buy them, but they will appear on tables and in tournaments. My personal fantasy immersion and enjoyment would be gone when that happens. 

Don't intend to be that doom 'n gloom guy but I'm recalling the original Sigmarine haters' outcry of AoS becoming 40k. Ridiculous, but now I'm less sure.

4 minutes ago, pachawar said:

@Dez are you really a manic fanboy or paid shill I wonder? What else is there to make of all these posts in just a single thread... Top notch meaningful DPRK style addition to the conversation.

Personally not a fan at all, appreciate the sculpts not the feel. Not saying Tolkienesque dwarves were all that should be explored, but after those orc releases I kind of hoped that maybe we could return to normal scaled models, apparently not. These 'minis' don't just look grotesque, this steampunk/advanced tech is not something I can identify with in an, even epic, fantasy setting.  

No one is forcing me to buy them, but they will appear on tables and in tournaments. My personal fantasy immersion and enjoyment would be gone when that happens. 

Don't intend to be that doom 'n gloom guy but I'm recalling the original Sigmarine haters' outcry of AoS becoming 40k. Ridiculous, but now I'm less sure.

I think most of us here are manic fanboys. We are on forums talking about our love for a game about plastic figures. 

I hated them to start with as it was a shocking aesthetic that I didn't imagine. after the inital shock though I am all onboard and if people here want to waffle about their love for something, good on them. Its kind of expected on a site dedicated to Age of Sigmar

2 minutes ago, pachawar said:

Well, how did folks deal with clan skyre skaven in WHFB for years? Or the empire clockwork-magic horse? Or in 40k, there's a heaps of people who don't like the tau for tonal reasons and feel that they taint any enjoyment that can be gained from the whole game. How do they deal with it? Either by just not playing them or not playing at all.  I'm not sure there's a satisfactory solution or if it's even a problem that demands a solution.

It's fine if it's not to your taste but there is a long history of seemingly out-there technological stuff ('steampunk' and otherwise) in fantasy literature in general, let alone in warhammer fantasy, that's just as valid and significant as the rest.

19 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I think most of us here are manic fanboys. We are on forums talking about our love for a game about plastic figures. 

I hated them to start with as it was a shocking aesthetic that I didn't imagine. after the inital shock though I am all onboard and if people here want to waffle about their love for something, good on them. Its kind of expected on a site dedicated to Age of Sigmar

I disagree about the waffling part. Why would you state the same thing over and over again, because someone might've missed it? What if everyone would go around triple/quadruple/... posting his exact same opinion.

Anyway, I come here mostly to lurk the narrative play section, my particular segue into AoS, the 9th Age then caters mostly to the r&f competitive side, still I'm no raving fanboy about either except maybe for well sculpted and painted plastic fantasy minis. That's why this release kind of bothers me, not merely the aesthetic part (de gustibus et...) but the kind of advanced tech setting direction it's likely a prelude of.

Edit:

8 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Well, how did folks deal with clan skyre skaven in WHFB for years? Or the empire clockwork-magic horse? .

Hah that clockwork horse, that really was a bit of an odd ball. The clan skyre contraptions however were pretty much mechanically plausible within the bounds of an alternatively realistic fantasy setting. This new faction takes that quite some steps further, emphasizing magically imbued advanced technology in an almost comical way (IMO).

Archived