Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love all of the different opinions on Kharadron Overlords. I feel like usually we see a new faction/model and it's universally loved/panned. Personally they are better than I imagined, and I feel I had high expectations. I don't know how many times I've watched the video through, or just gazed at the pics. Totally hooked, love at first sight haha.

14 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Yeah, so much this, there's room for all the dwarfs in the mortal realms! If you want bitter-grumbly dwarfs, you can still take dispossessed, if you want angry-naked dwarfs, you can still take fyreslayers. If you want engineering gone bonkers flying sky pirates, you can get those too!

The funniest thing is that I was just considering starting to make some goblin sky pirates, but I'm totally getting these dwarfs instead!

Would it not be hilarious if they made a Destruction faction full of Steampunk Goblins that had sky pirate battles with these guys? :D

7 minutes ago, Dez said:

I love all of the different opinions on Kharadron Overlords. I feel like usually we see a new faction/model and it's universally loved/panned. Personally they are better than I imagined, and I feel I had high expectations. I don't know how many times I've watched the video through, or just gazed at the pics. Totally hooked, love at first sight haha.

I fell in love with the air ships, i cant wait to get a paintbrush to them.

Just now, Nubgan said:

Would it not be hilarious if they made a Destruction faction full of Steampunk Goblins that had sky pirate battles with these guys? :D

I really hope so, imagine a diorama for armies on parade with them both fighting in the sky, boarding actions and the like. I would so buy them as well

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

I'm seriously hoping, I want to see some Sky Skaven too! Everyone is flying high again!

Wouldnt they be Bats? lol

It wouldnt be too difficult to convert them truth be told, the dwarf ships are quite smoothe, get a bit of balsawood planking stuck to the sides... the orbs already fit, insert warp lightining cannon here......

Also could be "doomwheel" powered choppers now that id like to see

2 hours ago, SuperKick said:

Yeah totally get where you're coming from, could perhaps still see that I guess down the line, I hope we do. This is slightly different to what I had in mind but works for me. We might yet see more troops as well. 

Could perhaps be more of a conversation around GW making smaller armies within a race rather than one large army. 

Sucks it wasn't what you wanted but I think polarising opinion makes a great army. I don't particularly like nurlge for example. 

I should probably clarify, I said earlier I didn't like them, which was not really fair. I do actually like them, they're just not what I want for my collection. I get the impression a lot of the factions are being approached rather a lot like Space Marines, different flavours of the same theme, which is actually really good. Still, leaves me wondering where the "vanilla" dwarfs are though, much as people would be weirded out if GW launched nothing but Space Wolves and Dark Angels and ignored something like the Ultramarines, no matter how cool the SW and DA models were.

19 hours ago, Lord Aquillor said:

Not sure if anyone has done this yet, but I was translating the Dwarven Text on the side of the ships.  They appear to spell out the following: 

Large Ship: K,A/I, M, O, N    H,A/I, M, E, R = Kaimon hammer?, 

Hammer of Chamon (realm of metal)

These guys are either big Michael Jackson fans or they've been living in the Realm of metal

On 3/15/2017 at 11:24 AM, Arkiham said:

and the there is rules now to allow the proxies to be used if you dislike these models. 

Is this true? Where can I find those rules? That would make me so happy - I dislike quite a few models, and I love converting.

I totally get why these guys are a bit polarizing, but I'm really liking them other than top hat guy, but he's a small thing. I've always liked the meshing of steam punk and fantasy(my first tabletop game was Warmachine and I still like it's overall aesthetic). I've been holding off on starting a Death army on the promise that new non-naked Dwarfs were coming. I wonder if we'll get a start collecting box or not since we never got one for Fyreslayers. Either way I'm going to be loading up on these in the next month or two.

58 minutes ago, J-P said:

Is this true? Where can I find those rules? That would make me so happy - I dislike quite a few models, and I love converting.

what i meant was,

there is alternative models around. of floating blimps etc. now gw have official rules for a model which looks similar to them, you could use them in your own games. for instance. don't expect them to be welcome at a GW event or store

big_669.jpg

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

These guys are either big Michael Jackson fans or they've been living in the Realm of metal

In before someone makes the ship with huge steampunk speakers, with a stage at the front, and steampunk top-hat Dwarf with the hat cut down to a Fedora, with all his armour painted white.

11 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

what i meant was,

there is alternative models around. of floating blimps etc. now gw have official rules for a model which looks similar to them, you could use them in your own games. for instance. don't expect them to be welcome at a GW event or store

big_669.jpg

I

have

2 of those.

And

6 of his smaller cousins.

(Happy Mike)

I was actually thinking about the balloons earlier, and came to the conclusion that I like the mysterious bronze orbs a bit more. The reasoning is that when it's something unfamiliar, like those bronze orbs, you have no expectation of how it could/should work. Looking at the balloon model makes me think the whole thing is horribly off balance and wouldn't have nearly enough lift to get the thing off the ground. Plus you'd think flying at low enough altitude to be struck in melee, or shot with a gun would certainly mean an arrow/cannonball/axe/arcane bolt through the balloon, wrecking the whole thing.

I don't like em. Not because of the models, which are very pretty or because of the theme, dorfs have been steam/aether/whatever punk for at least the last 25-30 years as far as I'm aware (as has the empire but that's a different story). I don't like them because they are stunties and all stunties must die. The good news is that there is going to be more of them about now so I can kill more of them, in fact given the drop in points cost for Fyreslayers it's going to be a good year for stunty haters there's going to be dorfs everywhere just asking for a smack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Grand Exemplar said:

As far as the army goes firstly, its strange that GW create an "aetherpunk" faction after an Aetherpunk set in MTG.

Considering the design and production process, I'd say it's more coincidence. However Wizards are doing Egyptian themed expansion next, if Tomb King players need a very slim thread of hope. :P

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

Good catch.  This would be the most logical realm.  But I am not sure exactly how the space between the realms is composed.  It almost seem as if each realm exists in the same plane of existence but are separated by vast negative spaces that are almost like outer space.  I envision each realm as it's own "planet" for lack of better terms.  This imagery and the fully enclosed suits would make these dwarves mores astronauts than sky pirates.  Just an idea. 

17 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

I was actually thinking about the balloons earlier, and came to the conclusion that I like the mysterious bronze orbs a bit more. The reasoning is that when it's something unfamiliar, like those bronze orbs, you have no expectation of how it could/should work. Looking at the balloon model makes me think the whole thing is horribly off balance and wouldn't have nearly enough lift to get the thing off the ground. Plus you'd think flying at low enough altitude to be struck in melee, or shot with a gun would certainly mean an arrow/cannonball/axe/arcane bolt through the balloon, wrecking the whole thing.

Funny you say that, I'd looked at the new GW "bronze orbs" and just saw it as a balloon inside a protective metal armour casing held up by metal girder rigging. Not exactly realistic, unless the balloon was filled with some arcane gas that was able to lift the balloon, the ship, and the extra armour plastered on both the balloon and the hull. Any time I've ever drawn flying airships I've always got stuck on the issue of protecting the balloon from cannon fire and an armoured shell plus mega-lift sorcery is about the only solution I've been able to come up with!

In theory of course they could be some kind of spherical grav-engine powered by runes...

The more I think about these guys the more interested I become. I really like the heroes with the hammers, and the more I headcannon them as actual clockwork dwarves rather than dwarves in suits, the cooler I think they are overall. I think if they are a relatively elite army I could see myself picking a few up, or making a small warband for some hinterlands/narrative games. 

16 minutes ago, BadMoon said:

Funny you say that, I'd looked at the new GW "bronze orbs" and just saw it as a balloon inside a protective metal armour casing held up by metal girder rigging. Not exactly realistic, unless the balloon was filled with some arcane gas that was able to lift the balloon, the ship, and the extra armour plastered on both the balloon and the hull. Any time I've ever drawn flying airships I've always got stuck on the issue of protecting the balloon from cannon fire and an armoured shell plus mega-lift sorcery is about the only solution I've been able to come up with!

In theory of course they could be some kind of spherical grav-engine powered by runes...

Yeah, I definitely figured they were some form of magical device which provides lift, probably because "magic" to me is a better cover-all explanation than trying to come up with a reasonable solution... like gold-containing gas that is somehow lighter than a vaccuum, when a perfect vacuum weighs zero grams, so a liter of perfect vacuum weighs 0.18 grams less than a liter of helium... Or it's just magic gas. Either way, magic.

PS - they totally look like Deadpool under those suits. Hairless, covered in radiation burns and scars from living in the high altitude aetherwinds. That's why they're never seen outside of their suits, their hideously ugly and beardless... at least that's my theory.

24 minutes ago, thediceabide said:

PS - they totally look like Deadpool under those suits. Hairless, covered in radiation burns and scars from living in the high altitude aetherwinds. That's why they're never seen outside of their suits, their hideously ugly and beardless... at least that's my theory.

I've heard they wear the suits because they are all in famous boy bands and are trying to avoid the paparazzi. I'd also heard that this is what happens to unemployed Oompa Loompas too.

Archived