Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

Interesting to note that we have not seen a bare head in this new faction. I think the full faced helmets work though, due to their variety. I'd would like to see what they look like underneath their helmets.

They are all wearing sealed environmental suits to protect themselves against high altitude/magic atmosphere so I wouldn't expect any bare heads.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that its totally correct that they respect the fluff and don't show any skin. You know, if they need the suits to live in the high skyes because hazard enviroment and poisonus magic and all that, when they go down they will need the same suits to don't have problems with changin body presure very fast.

But maybe its just that I don't like people without helmet in my armies :P (I hate the "Space marine captain syndrome")

4 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Fortunately, my only issue with the entire model line is easily fixed...

fixed.jpg

What's your plan? 

57 minutes ago, Mohojoe said:

I have had to swallow my pride and admit I jumped the gun when I said I disliked them. They are definitely growing on me and the bits I dont like I will be converting to look more how I envision them. I briefly hopped off the Hype train for an icecream and to use the toilet, but im back.

Me too! All I saw at first was the metal top hat. Now I realise that's the only thing I don't like. 

Me too! All I saw at first was the metal top hat. Now I realise that's the only thing I don't like. 

I think I would prefer a standard helmet instead of the metal beards and a bit less of the mechanics. Will be a good challenge though.
I am actually really inspired to make scenery and try a display board too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mohojoe said:

I would prefer a standard helmet instead of the metal beards and a bit less of the mechanics.

That's roughly what I was thinking too. Some exposed beards and faces, tone down some of the tech so it doesn't seem so distant from something a cogsmith or renegade from the engineer's guild might dream up. I don't think it's a complete miss, and definitely see the allure for folks who prefer a war machine heavy throng. For me though, I'll be relying on the conversions to create some commonality with my existing dwarves.

I think they will be balanced based on points. Take a look at all the other units with crazy guns and big firepower. This faction will be a high cost/low model count army for sure. 

Top hat alone has what...flying, a storm bolter, chainsword, dual mustache flamethrowers or guns and a giant face sized cannon. He will need to be 300pts alone. The Devastator Squad will probably be 200pts. And I can't even begin to think of what a flying transport boat with cannons, guns, and bombs will cost.

Also these guys will be a ****** to paint lol

25 minutes ago, Sete said:

I still don't like them.

But it's ok not to like things. ?

Totally!

Well, I mean, if someone (not saying this applies to you!) keeps appearing in areas dedicated to a thing saying "I don't like this thing" they'll probably ruffle some whiskers no matter how reasonable they may be!

I gave it some time tbh to get used to them, still love the boats, i love flying boats, but the Infantry in general is not my style.

But they have so many awesome details, the Mechanical parrot, the robotic leg, the pistol beard, their theme is very well done.

I'm eager to see what the community does with them ;)

12 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Yeah, so much this, there's room for all the dwarfs in the mortal realms! If you want bitter-grumbly dwarfs, you can still take dispossessed, if you want angry-naked dwarfs, you can still take fyreslayers. If you want engineering gone bonkers flying sky pirates, you can get those too!

The funniest thing is that I was just considering starting to make some goblin sky pirates, but I'm totally getting these dwarfs instead!

I agree with this, but I think what is concerning is that there are a lot of people who want to play Dispossessed and that miniatures line is desperately in need of a refresh, particularly the core unit warriors.

It's just like trad Dwarf players are hyped for some new stuff, then they get Fyreslayers...ok, it's a new faction, maybe we'll get normal Dwarfs later...SteamHead Duardin, right?

Now we get Kharadron Overlords...ok, it's a new faction....it appears this isn't even regular SteamHead Duardin (of the existing Cogsmith/Irondrake design variety). Will we ever see the SteamHead Duardin? Will we get any new normal Dwarfs that aren't some crazy offshoot?

If there's room in AoS for all kinds then can we please get some attention to the base faction?

I think that's where a lot of the grumbling is coming from, certainly for me. It's like fine, have your sky pirates, I don't like them, I won't be getting them, and I don't resent their inclusion alongside the other stuff, the only thing I don't like is that it highlights the continued absence of a rebooted Dispossessed line-up or a proper "SteamHead Duardin" faction that's a little less radical than sky pirates.

I mean this with all due respect but I agree many of the 'base' armies may not get an update with their classic themes. Obviously they had to be the basis for AOS but they could go any direction now. I think to fully embrace AOS it may involve letting go to the idea that the classic themes may not and imo are unlikely to get an update as you remember them. 

I think this is great and look forward to the mad armies to come. Of course you can always take the classic minis and still play them, also endless kitbashing could be done. 

I loved the whfb world but I've decades of minis and lore to look back on and look forward to the new world being built. AOS is only a baby, can't wait until it's fleshed out. City of Secrets was great for this. 

I mean this with all due respect but I agree many of the 'base' armies may not get an update with their classic themes. Obviously they had to be the basis for AOS but they could go any direction now. I think to fully embrace AOS it may involve letting go to the idea that the classic themes may not and imo are unlikely to get an update as you remember them. 
I think this is great and look forward to the mad armies to come. Of course you can always take the classic minis and still play them, also endless kitbashing could be done. 
I loved the whfb world but I've decades of minis and lore to look back on and look forward to the new world being built. AOS is only a baby, can't wait until it's fleshed out. City of Secrets was great for this. 

This is spot on. For example, I imagine grots will start to become more focused on spiderfang and maybe more warmachines. Or even more squigs.

24 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I'm afraid they may not longer be the base faction. 

6 minutes ago, SuperKick said:

Sure, I understand that, but I think for myself and many others that's where the idea of the SteamHead Duardin came in; a group that has been explicitly mentioned in the lore and that, by the sounds of things, is not represented by these new Sky Pirate Dwarfs. I expected the SteamHead Duardin to be quite different from the old school dwarfs and to replace them - I thought the Dispossessed were a temporary stop gap until the SteamHead's took over as the base faction. I figured they would be more techy and steampunk, but to still have a little old flavour just like the Orruks do, for example. And that's my point, this new faction from which the others, such as the Overlords and Fireslayers are supposed to be extreme offshoots, remains nowhere to be found.

I would add that I really did think the Cogsmith, was representative of the Dwarf look going forward and the basis for the SteamHead Duardin theme - the Overlords look like the Cogmsith on steroids, which is absolutely fine, but they don't feel like the main Duardin faction any more than the Fyreslayers did.

Yeah totally get where you're coming from, could perhaps still see that I guess down the line, I hope we do. This is slightly different to what I had in mind but works for me. We might yet see more troops as well. 

Could perhaps be more of a conversation around GW making smaller armies within a race rather than one large army. 

Sucks it wasn't what you wanted but I think polarising opinion makes a great army. I don't particularly like nurlge for example. 

I understand all the points people are making. The overlords are great models but painted quite badly (scheme wise) i think with the right balance they might look great. Though Dwarfs look after their equipment it wouldnt be flawlessly clean, there would still be dents, oil stains and the like. This weathered look would really make them pop. 

As far as the army goes firstly, its strange that GW create an "aetherpunk" faction after an Aetherpunk set in MTG.

Secondly, they are a unique twist on the typical fantasy dwarf. much like the Fyreslayers. As GW are trying to move to more unique imagry i can sense more and more unique looking factions based loosely on the fantasy type setting.

I think that when we see the "core" faction im sensing that we will see more stone like armour, the artillery and probably tanks, boar or goat riders. etc etc

Archived