Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

I'm nearly certain it can't be as bad as it looks with some of the other long ranged units in the game. The unit is super fragile if/when they disembark and hitting everything that can get within threat range can be a big task against some armies. I would love to play against it because Deployment feels like it might be 90% of the game when going against another gunline. They can also get a very low amount of deployments pretty easily depending on how you want to build it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any consensus on painting versus port specific rules?

getting into KO will be a pure hobby thing for me and the occasional game will be a bonus.

im thinking of an alternative color scheme to the gw port ones but don't want to hear any BS if I end up using port rules.

i know that may fly badly in pure competitive gaming groups but my hobby is precious and my own but should I be worried for heading e.g. Into a gw store for a game?

33 minutes ago, Joakim said:

Is there any consensus on painting versus port specific rules?

getting into KO will be a pure hobby thing for me and the occasional game will be a bonus.

im thinking of an alternative color scheme to the gw port ones but don't want to hear any BS if I end up using port rules.

i know that may fly badly in pure competitive gaming groups but my hobby is precious and my own but should I be worried for heading e.g. Into a gw store for a game?

I think as long as you say these guys are from port X you'll be fine.

Personally I'm not using any of the main ones 

Surely you can have your own "Pirate Gang" whom _just coincidentally_ have the same rules as the various main skyports. The fluff bit in the book just ranks the 6 largest ports - leaving lots of room for smaller ports that vy for rank and prestige.

Actually, I think the nastiest thing around is the stormcast allies battallion (just like with sylvaneth, allied batallion being the best around) since it lets you shoot in the hero phase. With two khemists and a unit of 12 skywardens/riggers (whichever cost the 100pts) you'd get, for the same cost of the thunderers: 24 drillcannon shots, 48 volleygun shots and 24 pistol shots. Without factoring any modifiers (which they can get from the knight venator of the batallion) nor re-rolls, you'd get 12 cannon hits, 8 wounds and 12 wounds from volleyguns. Against 1+ save enemies like the treelord that's 14 wounds in a single turn. In other words you've just killed a son of durthu or equivalent, something a similarly costed unit of grundstokk's couldn't come close to achieve.  Against certain armies this will be death incarnate. This formation can delete up to two units of brutes a turn (causing 32 wounds).

Let's remember this is just one unit (well... a third of the army at this point) and there will be other elements causing damage too, however of lesser volume.

Should this army get the double turn it's GG.

1 hour ago, Emicus said:

Surely you can have your own "Pirate Gang" whom _just coincidentally_ have the same rules as the various main skyports. The fluff bit in the book just ranks the 6 largest ports - leaving lots of room for smaller ports that vy for rank and prestige.

Some of the main skyports seem to have options in their Code not available to the custom skyports.  For example Barak Thryng offers a footnote that is a once per game reroll of any dice that you wouldn't have access to otherwise.  Just a heads up.

5 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Some of the main skyports seem to have options in their Code not available to the custom skyports.  For example Barak Thryng offers a footnote that is a once per game reroll of any dice that you wouldn't have access to otherwise.  Just a heads up.

Yeah but you could paint your forces in different colours and say your sky port behaves like Barak Thryng, I don't think it should be a problem as long as you follow all of that sky ports rules.

18 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

Does it specifically state you have to paint your models in that colour for the effect to take place?

1 hour ago, Emicus said:

The main skyports do offer unique things.   

1 hour ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Actually, I think the nastiest thing around is the stormcast allies battallion (just like with sylvaneth, allied batallion being the best around) since it lets you shoot in the hero phase. With two khemists and a unit of 12 skywardens/riggers (whichever cost the 100pts) you'd get, for the same cost of the thunderers: 24 drillcannon shots, 48 volleygun shots and 24 pistol shots. Without factoring any modifiers (which they can get from the knight venator of the batallion) nor re-rolls, you'd get 12 cannon hits, 8 wounds and 12 wounds from volleyguns. Against 1+ save enemies like the treelord that's 14 wounds in a single turn. In other words you've just killed a son of durthu or equivalent, something a similarly costed unit of grundstokk's couldn't come close to achieve.  Against certain armies this will be death incarnate. This formation can delete up to two units of brutes a turn (causing 32 wounds).

Let's remember this is just one unit (well... a third of the army at this point) and there will be other elements causing damage too, however of lesser volume.

Should this army get the double turn it's GG.

Definitely solid, although buffing mixed weapon units is suboptimal. Those same buffs on 20 Thunderers (same as Skywardens), put out 60 Mortar shots at 36" range.  Just something to think about.

13 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Yeah but you could paint your forces in different colours and say your sky port behaves like Barak Thryng, I don't think it should be a problem as long as you follow all of that sky ports rules.

Agreed.

7 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

Does it specifically state you have to paint your models in that colour for the effect to take place?

Pretty sure I remember them saying in either the twitch or facebook stream that you could paint them whatever colour you wanted and still use the rules for any of the skyports, or make your own. 

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

The main skyports do offer unique things.   

Definitely solid, although buffing mixed weapon units is suboptimal. Those same buffs on 20 Thunderers (same as Skywardens), put out 60 Mortar shots at 36" range.  Just something to think about.

Agreed.

The thing is this: those buffs net you 40 additional shots on the thunderers. On the drillcannons it nets you 16 additional shots (8 per phase) but they are of better quality: after hits/wounds, you end up with 14-ish additional hits on the mortars, and with 5.6666-ish on the cannons, without factoring the possible to hit bonuses they may gain from their batallion's knight. Against 4+ units, the additional mortars will cause between 7 to 21 more wounds, so 14 on average. The canons will cause somewhere in the ballpark of 17 additional wounds. On average the formation will be more effective than the thunderers, without getting the bonus from the Azyros, which I think it's a +1 to hit if the venator hit that enemy and results on those 16 shots granting 21.333 additional unsaved wounds on a 4+ save unit. Granted. it relies on getting shots in both phases but I think it's pheasible from turn 2 onwards. Otherwise your combo is more reliable for turn one.

7 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

The thing is this: those buffs net you 40 additional shots on the thunderers. On the drillcannons it nets you 16 additional shots (8 per phase) but they are of better quality: after hits/wounds, you end up with 14-ish additional hits on the mortars, and with 5.6666-ish on the cannons, without factoring the possible to hit bonuses they may gain from their batallion's knight. Against 4+ units, the additional mortars will cause between 7 to 21 more wounds, so 14 on average. The canons will cause somewhere in the ballpark of 17 additional wounds. On average the formation will be more effective than the thunderers, without getting the bonus from the Azyros, which I think it's a +1 to hit if the venator hit that enemy and results on those 16 shots granting 21.333 additional unsaved wounds on a 4+ save unit. Granted. it relies on getting shots in both phases but I think it's pheasible from turn 2 onwards. Otherwise your combo is more reliable for turn one.

My concern is that I just don't know what this force looks like on the table at 2k.  It is reliant on a bunch of low model count, 2 wound model units.  Mobility is solid but those Khemists won't be able to keep up with the Endrinriggers/Wardens.  I could certainly be wrong but I'd have to see this force in action first.  

A bit of divergence from the discussion at hand, but thought I'd share something I've been working on.  Since the unveiling of the Kharadron Overlords, I've been a fan and thus starting thinking of schemes etc while we waited for more information.  My step-son and I are making a narrative map campaign, making Styrofoam hex tiles (similar to Mighty Empires) which we can move around on a felt map with Velcro.  We made our "home" starting tiles a couple weeks ago and I was pleased to see my ideas of a floating sky-port fit in with some of the artwork we saw on Friday!  Again - just sharing with fellow aetherpunk duardin ethusiasts!  A couple other tiles as examples of a Seraphon and Aelven tiles/sites.

Kharadron Overlords hex.jpg

But as long as you have two boats, you can leap-frog.

Drop out of the first one, use your ability, move the second one up close. Next turn, use the abity again and jump into the second boat before you move it.

Or deploy behind the boat, abilify it, then hop on and move. That would be useful for maximising first turn firepower wile still letting him fly around to where he is needed for the rest of the game.

Archived