Behold the Kharadron Overlords!

Just from my first impressions of the video they did, I am actually wondering if it will be blatantly op. Because at least from what we saw, it doesnt look like they have any big synergies that break things. No kunnin ruk volume of shots, no massive mortal wounds like tzeentch, no BCR auto 6 damage. It seems like their abilities will all only slightly increase an aspect of the force. So it will all come down to how you customize and being able to use your customizations well. Just my two cents. Everything looked and felt cool, but nothing struck me as "push here to win"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Volund said:

Just from my first impressions of the video they did, I am actually wondering if it will be blatantly op. Because at least from what we saw, it doesnt look like they have any big synergies that break things. No kunnin ruk volume of shots, no massive mortal wounds like tzeentch, no BCR auto 6 damage. It seems like their abilities will all only slightly increase an aspect of the force. So it will all come down to how you customize and being able to use your customizations well. Just my two cents. Everything looked and felt cool, but nothing struck me as "push here to win"

We have seen absolutely zero of the battalion rules or various customization options.  We have no idea if a Kunnin Rukk option is out there.

At the very least they're a shooting-heavy army with lots of counter-charge abilities and transports effectively acting like Deep Strike for them (keeps them safe until they're in shooting range). I can't see it being a bad army from that alone, but it will depend a lot on point costs and Battalions.

i guess I worded that poorly, because that is kind of what I was trying to say. The previous poster said

18 minutes ago, Skrekkugle said:

Having played only mortal chaos and now death, I'm finally gonna teach my regular opponent (elves) how it feels to get shot to bits! This does look pretty OP tho. Can't wait! 

So I was saying that I didnt think there was anything that we were shown that looked singularly strong, and my guess was that it was going to lean more toward customizing to your strength and play style, rather than just taking X because it is better.

It looks like that the army floats close and unloads the ships to a deathly vollet of fire, which I guess is not too bad as the weapons have quite short range and the transports can be encirclened with quick units preventing disembarking. It will be bit like 5th Edition 40k :)

14 minutes ago, Jamopower said:

I guess some of the shooting options will find their home alongside Kurnoth hunters and hurricanums behind a skink screen quite soon. Especially some of the weapons of the thunderers look quite strong.

A unit of Thunderers with all Mortars is a fairly effective artillery piece. No rend, but a bunch of d3 damages getting through can be quite brutal, and they'll be 3+/3+ near a Hurricanum.

So the big counter I'm seeing is that it's easy to instakill units if you can blow up the Ships in melee. Disembarking models have to be set up 3" away from the ship and 3" away from enemies, so if you can get a surround on one with a couple units, you can effectively gib the units inside. Difficult for many armies, but for something fast or with teleporting/burrowing you can effectively remove a lot of points if they stay inside the airship.

52 minutes ago, Volund said:

Just from my first impressions of the video they did, I am actually wondering if it will be blatantly op.

I will of course wait for games under my belt before making that call,  but my initial impression leaves me similarly concerned. 

It seems pretty brazenly so,  but if all the factions end up like this,  I'm ok with it.  It will be like 40K, where everything is super so none of it is. 

Not seen anything blatantly OP yet. Certainly nothing on the level of blood letter bombs, skyfire, thundertusk or bow-kurnoth spam.

Suppose a lot is to be determined by points/formations/the still unseen units.

Paucity of ranged mortal wounds though so far. A fair bit of -2 rend but looks like they might struggle a little with the real tough 2+ re-roll with a heal type dudes like fulminators/stardrakes/buffed treemen. 

My emphasis was supposed to be on "actually." Because i would normally expect a new faction to have some gimmik where i do that thing to win, but I was trying to say that I have not seen it for KO yet. They have lots of cool things that look good, (like counter charge abilities, healing ships, "artillery") but nothing yet where I would think that I could just max out that thing and feel like I didnt have to try. (The counter charges are only 1-3 mortals except for the once per game supremacy mine which could still fail or roll a 1 for damage, the healing ship sounds like a lot, but according to the white dwarf it is definitely destructible, and the grundstock mortars arent really any more terrifying on paper than Flamers.) Obviously everything comes down to points, but I dont really expect bad shenanigans there either, since the one thing we know is the battleline guys and they seemed pretty reasonable to me.

So I'm sitting here thinking about somthing like 10 Thunderers with the aethercannons, 4+/2+ -2 d3, getting aeitherkhemists to two shots each.  Drops outta a ship 12 inches from an enemy unit (or more like 12+3(disembark)+4 (move) so 16-19ish) and dump 16 wounds into a 5+ save unit on average.  That seems pretty cool!

That is definitely a lot of damage, but I think you are underestimating how vulnerable 12" really leaves you. Did you attack the 20 blood reavers or the 5 skull reapers right behind them? Because whichever one you didnt kill, will probably get whipped and command abilitied, and be enough to kill most of the thunderers. I am probably overlooking things too, but in my experience with dispossessed, if my guns are within 12" i better have a good plan if i expect them to still be alive next turn.

Of course we have no idea of benefits formations/other things could be giving us, but even just the volly of fire a few of those core units with the Volly guns, 18 shots at 18 per unit seems really nice, expectially shooting them at a monster/hero to get the hits back to a 4+ (assuming there aren't MORE plus to hits in the armybook which would surprise me)

To have even the core unit stripping wounds with the -1 seems nice.

Very eager to see their whole book but I don't see how anyone thinks they're OP based off of what's shown, which I'm seeing as a common reaction around the Interwebs. I do hope the boats are costly though, they have no draw backs that will be actually exploitable. I know people are saying surround them and kill the unit...I don't think that's very realistic. That's even without them having some lighter screen, which is likely.

Even if you are worried about it just.....don't embark? It's not like the boats don't put out damage, can't kill everything. Then you can embark in your turn if you need to. I really don't think it's a drawback at all in the same way it was almost impossible to surround 40K vehicles and kill the unit. And those wouldn't let you disembark from every inch of the vehicle. Between that and dying on 1's, at least with that vehicle, it's really no drawback and seems like a flavor rule.

Do you all read the Arkonaut Company warscroll as being able to take 9 special weapons? Maybe I just need to type it out and dissect the grammar, but to me it looks like you get 3 special weapons total for the unit of 10.

2 minutes ago, Dez said:

Do you all read the Arkonaut Company warscroll as being able to take 9 special weapons? Maybe I just need to type it out and dissect the grammar, but to me it looks like you get 3 special weapons total for the unit of 10.

They mentioned on the stream that you can have 9 special weapons in a unit of 30, yeah. 

I believe he was saying a 30 man unit if I heard correctly. I was lagging on my phone I need to go back and watch it again lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Archived