The second army

SolarBur

Hi all, I wasn't sure where to place this question. The modelling and painting section seemed like a good place as any, but if its the wrong place let me know and i will get it moved to the appropriate place. 

So as my Bonesplitterz are closing in on their 1k target, I've been trying to think of what army i want to do next. I can't decide if i want to do another horde style army, or to go smaller and do one with kitbashes and conversions. When it comes to army build i tend to in age of sigmar just stick to the one faction (sometimes dipping into another if the one i choose is too small), but i've having a hard time deciding what to do next. 

I like the idea of a clan verminus army, with support from the other clans, but keeping it mostly verminus. I also like the idea of a ogre army, kitbashed so that every ogor looks and feels like his own, well, ogor. Also a nurgle themed army like the one in A tale of four gamers, mix of daemon and mortal nurgle. 

But like i said, I'm having a hard time deciding. I'm not a tournament or competitive player, i'm more for the fluff and stories. But that's not to say that i don't want to play an army that can't fight back against an enemy ;p

Skaven are my favorite army, and really lend themselves to conversions. You can kitbash/convert weapon teams, Rat Ogres, Stormfiends, Hellpit Abominations...really the sky is the limit! 

They are also really good, as far as play goes. They have every tool in the toolbox, and do really well in competitive play. Basing your army on Clan Verminous and the Verminous Clawpack is the way to go. I love Stormvermin :)

9 hours ago, Dez said:

Skaven are my favorite army, and really lend themselves to conversions. You can kitbash/convert weapon teams, Rat Ogres, Stormfiends, Hellpit Abominations...really the sky is the limit! 

They are also really good, as far as play goes. They have every tool in the toolbox, and do really well in competitive play. Basing your army on Clan Verminous and the Verminous Clawpack is the way to go. I love Stormvermin :)

Well i've just put in on a gamble and ordered some Skaven stuff. The warhammer tutorial video makes the painting look simple enough to paint them. 

I found 80 spire of dawn clanrats, warlock engineer, and packmaster (looks like it would make a nice engineer) on ebay for £45. And I've already got a warlord plastic kit. So i think that's a good start for a cheap price.  Though my mind is confused to how all of this is just 680pts xD

So would you say i've got a good start to this ? 

Just now, Dez said:

I would!

That's a relief. I bought a start collecting set the other day that ate some of my resources up, so this purchase was a nervous one ^^;;;

So then so far I have an army that looks around:

Skaven Warlord

Warlock Engineer 

30 Clanrats with Rusty Spears

20 Clanrats with Rusty Blades

20 Clanrats with Rusty Blades

So that's the base of the army. The next part would basically be to just add other things to assist the army ? Oh, i also have the kit for the plagueclaw catapult as well laying around somewhere xD

29 minutes ago, Dez said:

It would be good to base it on the Verminous Clawpack, which is a free Battalion you can see in the app/downloads. 

I tend to play smaller point games, will this be a problem ? 

I try to start aiming for 500pts then up 1k to help get to grips with the army and learn how the troops work. What would be a nice friendly little starter force to learn how to play with the ratty rats ?

Also i just saw their bravery. Geez i'm in for a rough first few games xD

You'll surprisingly be ok! You get a +1 Bravery every 10 models, which goes to +2 for the Verminus Clawpack. You can get into the Verminus Clawpack at the bare minimum 680 points. As you bulk up the units they get better!

On 3/15/2017 at 4:53 AM, Dez said:

You'll surprisingly be ok! You get a +1 Bravery every 10 models, which goes to +2 for the Verminus Clawpack. You can get into the Verminus Clawpack at the bare minimum 680 points. As you bulk up the units they get better!

Well right now i'm just aiming at the 500pts, just to keep things a little simple and get some practice in. 

Skaven Warlord

Warlock Engineer

20 Skaven Clanrats

20 Skaven Clanrats

Ratling Gun

Right now that's what i have in mind for a starting force. Some numbers, magic, and (hopefully a lot of) shooting. Which hits me spot on at 500pts. Nothing amazing but its a good little starter i think.

Also doing up a little plastic conversion of the skaven warlord model. Swapping he head and back banner out. Though i haven't made up my mind yet if i want to use the half skull head from the plague monk kit. Have a bit of a story of him surviving an "accidental" misfire of a warpfire thrower team. Could be a fun idea, just a shame in the directing that he's facing you can't see the skull portion.

But either way, slowly coming along. Hopefully i should have the rest of the army arriving on monday ^^

Also been looking up the warhammer painting videos, and skaven seem simple enough to paint. so not too worried on the painting side for once.  

Archived