Voc

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has come up before, I did have a hunt but couldn't see the discussion in the posts I looked through.

I'm at 1k atm with my Ironjawz and am currently building up to 2k with the following list in mind (aimed for competitive play once they're done):

2,000 points target force:

• Megaboss
  • Warchanter x 3
  • Weirdnob Shaman
  • 15 x Brutes
  • 5 x Brutes
  • 20 x Ardboys
  • 10 x Ardboys
  • 10 x Ardboys
  • Ironfist

Whilst the unit sizes could be played with (maybe 2 units of 10 Brutes..) My big sticking point is the load out for the Ardboys.  I'm convinced on going with all Oruk-forged Big Choppas on the 10man units but I reckon I should get some shields in the 20man unit as this unit will mainly be focused on holding ground and tying up the opponents harder hitting unit(s).  Maybe 10 x shields with 10 x 2HW?  Are the shields even worth bothering with?

I wondered if the more experienced players had any advise on this before I start building :-)

(ofc by the time I get the whole force the GH2 will be out and we'll all be talking new lists!)

I'd skip the big choppas, they are only better than dual choppas if your opponent has a save that is better than 3+ (i.e. 2+ or 4+ with reroll). This changes to better than 4+ save if you get an extra attack from the Megaboss, but is otherwise unaffected by buffs.

Putting 3, 6 or 9 shields on a unit of 20 may not be a bad idea, to increase their durability somewhat. The back row won't be able to attack anyway.

This has been covered in several other threads already. Honestly, it doesn't matter all that much how you equip them, they will be fine either way.

Just now, roberto said:

Better yet, included arms that made the shields look good, without having to hack apart the model. 

That's just crazy talk! You're an absolute madman. You been at the goblin's mushroom supplies again?

I've only just begun assembling my Waaagh! and am so disappointed with how the "shield arms" look on my 'Ardboyz, I am very seriously considering trying to track down a bitz re-seller that can get me a pile of regular orc boyz arms and shields...

Just now, Thain said:

That's just crazy talk! You're an absolute madman. You been at the goblin's mushroom supplies again?

I've only just begun assembling my Waaagh! and am so disappointed with how the "shield arms" look on my 'Ardboyz, I am very seriously considering trying to track down a bitz re-seller that can get me a pile of regular orc boyz arms and shields...

Regular boyz are too small.  May have better luck with savages.  It's a problem.

I've gone with 10 2HW and 10 shields in my 20-man unit. 

10 at the front dishing out plenty of attacks (quantity over quality as the Brutes have got rend covered), 10 at the back with shields to soak up the damage. Solid objective holding//chaff killer

Cool thanks guys. Oh and yeah totally agree the Black Orc models are out of date now. Anyone else remember back in the day when they came out in white metal and were the best models ever?!

Ah well... If only there was a recent release of Orcs that would be appropriate to use....ah well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Personally I'm in the "anything but shields" camp.  The 1-in-6 save is only decent for cheap, horde units in my view.  Ardboys are neither cheap nor running around in hordes.  You are trading away 50% more offense (choppas and smashas) for 17% more "wounds" (shields). Ardboys are already pretty resilient with 2 wounds and a 4+.  I don't see the shields helping much it much more.

Futhermore, aesthetically, the shields are way too small. Next, although perfectly legal and intended, I don't like how a bunch of shield Ardboys hide in the back and get to take all the blows.  It just feels gamey, intended or not and has bad Waaagh juju written all over it.

I go choppas and smashas with a few big choppas, mostly for the variety.

1 hour ago, Voc said:

Cool thanks guys. Oh and yeah totally agree the Black Orc models are out of date now. Anyone else remember back in the day when they came out in white metal and were the best models ever?!

Ah well... If only there was a recent release of Orcs that would be appropriate to use....ah well

A semi popular choice is picking up the new Blood Bowl orc team and with a little converting make an excellent choice.

A semi popular choice is picking up the new Blood Bowl orc team and with a little converting make an excellent choice.

Hehe yeah mate that was what I was implying [emoji2]

Archived