Yet another new player thread!

Hello all, glad I found this site as it seems like a great community to be apart of! I will be getting into AoS along with a few friend of mine to play smaller games anywhere from 1-1.5k to start!

The thing I am hung up on is choosing an army! I seem to be more interested in what maybe Destruction or Chaos has to offer (though im open to all suggestions)! Any good recommendations for a newer player? I dont think I would mind maybe an army higher in points with fewer models as I dont have much faith in myself as a painter and not much free time! 

Also any other resources you guys could maybe share in regards to where to buy some supplies/paints/brushes etc would be great! Keep in mind I am in the US :)

Thanks!

Hobby Lobby has some okay brushes.  Be sure to get a wet palette (amazon) and start watching Duncan's videos (https://www.warhammer-community.com/?s=how+to+paint).  I like GW paint so if you can't find a local store you may have to order online.  Vallejo and Privateer Press are also good paints if your local FLGS carries them.

Find models you like.  Zone in on the bigger models if you want less to paint and see which you enjoy the most.  

Grab the Azyr app or GHB (this is slightly out of date) to check points and get an idea of what your army for that faction would look like.  Because, if you fell in love with the Archaon model you might find your army to be very small indeed!

In any case check these models and see if any grab you:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer?Nu=product.repositoryId&N=102351+3194302550+447011667&qty=12&sorting=phl&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat

Welcome to the party!

Ahh army selection! Id say pure beast claw raiders or pure ironjawz for low model count if you are not looking to squeeze out every drop of competitiveness destruction has to offer. basically just run across the board and smash things you see, pretty fun stuff :P

chaos is uh not my forte, but i know a lot of people play nurgle tallyband if you are looking for a really tough, hard to shift army (warning ive heard they dont put out much damage though)  otherwise if you are a wizard harry, then tzeentch seems really fun, a lot of different play styles available with their new book.

edit: i probably didnt help.. haha... i actually just made myself want to start 4 new armies D: 

The best advice you can give any new player is, goto the store and look at models. 

Having a army you really want to paint and have look great is great motivation to doing it,  then worry about the competitiveness of it afterwards.

I split it into two things when I started, my display army, and my competitive army. one looked great together, similar paint schemes etc,

the other was just anything an everything that was the best thrown together, not the best looking forces as some was nurgle, some khorne ,lead by a tzeentch dude etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys! 

I think I am torn between choosing Stormcast Eternals or Beastclaw Raiders (if this would you mix or not and why?)

could you guys help list some pros and cons for both? I think my friends and I will be starting with small army lists around 1k and gradually increasing to 1.5k then to 2k. Thanks!

Can't mix in matched play as different alliances.

Stormcast are the poster boys for aos, they'll always have new stuff coming out. So a huge variety in units to pick from. 

Not many models, easy to paint. Great for starters, Downside looks very same same I guess.

Beastclaws are fun, smashy and tanky. Even less models if you run storm horns an tbunder tusks , lovely models and cool rules.

Downsides, people don't like being smashed game after game, so it gets tedious to play against, if you opt for the power build of 3 thunder tusks for instance people might loose interest in playing them. Look awesome though.

Hey @MagikVileI'm your snowed in neighbor up in Massachusetts :)

Stormcast will be a great way for you to start. Easy on the wallet, they just got an update, and they have a huge model line. There is also a ton of different ways to play them, so if you begin with the Start Collecting or Starter Set, you can branch out and switch up how you play. 

We've also started the Lucky 6's Gaming Group, basically bringing New England AoS gamers together. We're promoting Age of Sigmar in the Northeast, right now we have a Slack channel dedicated to chatting and promoting events in the area. If anyone is interested, just send me a direct message and I'll be happy to add you.

Archived