Nurgle

Ollie Fox

So I keep playing around with nurgle lists and was wondering if the below has any legs, I am working through the painting with just a soul grinder left to paint, but wondering is it worth it. Has any one had any luck with similar lists? The grinders and glotkin just don't hold up to mortal wound spam.

Great unclean one - 240 - Chaos Talisman

The Glotkin - 480 (general)

Soul grinder (mark of nurgle) - 280

Soul grinder (mark of nurgle) - 280

10 Plague bearers - 100

10 Plague bearers - 100

10 Plague bearers - 100

10 Plague bearers - 100

10 Plague bearers - 100

10 Plague bearers - 100

Tallyband of nurgle - 100

So it transpires thoughts were correct, the soul grinders are cack, large bases meant hard to move around table and very vulnerable 4+ doesn't last long. Both died last night fairly easy with no real threat.  It all looked good on table, four behemoths, but it didn't work at all, major loss vs. the sylvaneth.

Back to the drawing board.

The thing is.. why would anybody worry about 60 plaguebearers in basically non threat sized ten "man" :D chunks? Then why would I worry about the somewhat toothless GUO (mainly support hero and caster). Reasonably I'll focus down the soul grinders who have the largest threat range. Once they are dead the glotkin is focused down easily by an entire force. It was a simple order of operations. 

Tallybands work GREAT with one or two large units of PB's, plague drones, GUO..ascending order of threats. You had simply one end of the sprectrum (small units of bearers) and then the opposite extreme end (behemoths) 

I run a daemon nurgle list.  

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
Great Unclean One (240)
Epidemius (180)
The Glottkin (480)

Battleline
10 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (100)

Units
3 x Plague Drones Of Nurgle (220)
1 x Beasts Of Nurgle (60)

Battalions
Tallyband of Nurgle (100)

Total: 2000/2000

Two GUO is simply amazing.  You can kit them out however you want, but I like the chaos talisman for double feel no pain saves.  The beasts are fun for healing shenanigans with both tallyband and GUO spell.  Epidemius is nice to keep things getting stronger.  I sometimes sub in the plague toads, or bile trolls.  Bile trolls are nice for standing behind your plaguebearers and shooting their ridiculous shotgun blast into units.  

TLDR:  Get another GUO they are insane

I have to admit I really like the looks of that list! I have never run two GUO, always feel they are a bit Meh, but can see the potential.

I also don't find epidemius to useful in a 2k list, how do you find him? And yes the trolls shooting attack is nasty!

I was toying with adapting my RAW list which is (it didn't do very well mind you)

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)
Daemon Prince - Axe (160)

Battleline
20 x Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (200)

Units
5 x Furies (60)

Battalions

Make 6-3 dronea since if you take lord of war is way more useful to buff up 6 instead of 3

Other than that i'll suggest 1 axe and 1 sword on the prince, the sword is almost always gonna do more damage

What about doing a unit of 30 pbs and 2x10 instead of 20-20-10?

U get more value out of a 30 mans pbs instead of 20

In the end, furies cant go in the tallyband

Regarding epidemius is much of a mu choice;against some armies he wrecks faces, in others matches he is utterly useless (u can't throw him in cc since u lose all the buffs on death, but u simultaneously can't even waste 180 points)

22 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Make 6-3 dronea since if you take lord of war is way more useful to buff up 6 instead of 3

Other than that i'll suggest 1 axe and 1 sword on the prince, the sword is almost always gonna do more damage

What about doing a unit of 30 pbs and 2x10 instead of 20-20-10?

U get more value out of a 30 mans pbs instead of 20

In the end, furies cant go in the tallyband

Regarding epidemius is much of a mu choice;against some armies he wrecks faces, in others matches he is utterly useless (u can't throw him in cc since u lose all the buffs on death, but u simultaneously can't even waste 180 points)

Thanks for the feedback, usually I run great destroyer and the princes are the focus points. 1 in 3 chance the unit gets the plus 1 to hit.

PB in units of 20 are -2 to hit from shooting and -1 in combat, so if people want to fir these they have to at least show them some attention prior to fighting, which means less shots on the GUO's

Furies are there for summoning late on to grab objective etc.

8 hours ago, Ollie Fox said:

I have to admit I really like the looks of that list! I have never run two GUO, always feel they are a bit Meh, but can see the potential.

I also don't find epidemius to useful in a 2k list, how do you find him? And yes the trolls shooting attack is nasty!

I was toying with adapting my RAW list which is (it didn't do very well mind you)

Leaders
Great Unclean One (240)

Battleline

Units
5 x Furies (60)

Battalions

Two GUO always does work for me.  Two factors that people always underestimate.  A) between the 2 GUOs and Glottkin, there is actually some pretty powerful shooting, which always catches people off guard. 2D6 from the GUO's at 3/2 with -2 rend and 1 dmg and 3/4 with -2 rend and 2d6dmg from Glottkin.  Also the melee on all 3 of these guys is pretty good IMO.  It always manages to squash infantry.  Glottkin especially shines because he tends not to lose much power when he gets more hurt, unlike most monsters.  Depending on your movement and pile in you can also get a nice chance of plague wind, which will heal all the monsters (along with all of their healing in hero phase).  Like I said I like running them with the chaos talisman so they get the 3 save potential.  4+ normal save 5/6 feel no pain save and 6 chaos talisman save.  You could give each of them the daemonic weapon to increase their melee attack potential.  

As far as Epidemius goes, I really like him.  My opponents have actually tended to not go after him too much.  This is fantastic as he can sit behind plaguebearers and buff them (he is after all plaguebearer hero and provides locus), and everything is getting stronger.  I run the list as  mentioned above and regularly get him to providing the +1 to all nurgle save, which is a huge psychological victory.  

Glottkin has been a regular superstar for me.  The unique spell is great for making your plaguebearers a real nightmare, and obviously his command ability is amazing, it is especially good on the two GUO's, as their powerful melee really benefits from it.  

The one thing my list lacks is more Plaguedrones.  The general consensus is that having 6 is a must as it absolutely abuses the tallyband formation.  That being said, I still like the three, they are great at getting objectives.  The other thing I like to periodically add are the Blightkings.  I have 20 of these guys kicking around, and a unit of 15 (even unsupported from a rotbringer list) is still a nice anvil.  The Glottkin ability, combine with Epidemius buffs means that these guys can really get some insane dice numbers generated.  If only they had rend....

Nurgle is a lot of fun.  Between the 3-4 different factions there are a lot of options.  I have yet to look at Skaven in any real way, but have been playing around with a battery of plagueclaws on scroll builder, and like the looks of it.  Also Sayl the faithless is a good choice for some fun shenanigans.  How do you like the furies?  I have never though about taking them, obviously you use them for objective contention, have they performed?    

you make valid points there. 

If you drop a single beast and epi, you could add a second unit of drones in. See if that works?

I have to admit I do like the glotkin command ability, really helps!

I to moved into Nurgle mortal units, mainly as they are stunning miniatures, but I struggle to put synergies into the list that doesn't include 40 blings. (rend would be amazing, to powerful though, I would like to see them more a little quicker, really struggle for movement, as does all Nurgle)

The furies just get ignored all game usually, 60points isn't worth dealing with, but they add speed to somewhat slow list of Nurgle.

14 hours ago, Ollie Fox said:

you make valid points there. 

If you drop a single beast and epi, you could add a second unit of drones in. See if that works?

I have to admit I do like the glotkin command ability, really helps!

I to moved into Nurgle mortal units, mainly as they are stunning miniatures, but I struggle to put synergies into the list that doesn't include 40 blings. (rend would be amazing, to powerful though, I would like to see them more a little quicker, really struggle for movement, as does all Nurgle)

The furies just get ignored all game usually, 60points isn't worth dealing with, but they add speed to somewhat slow list of Nurgle.

I've pretty much made Sayl a NLHWI. He takes care of the need for speed.

Archived