Bases

I have picked up some old models second hand that are on square bases, do I have to rebase them for tournament use as some of my new gw bought minis come with square bases n some with round.

If I rebase, other than carefully, what's best way to remove model from its old base.

thanks in advance

Tournaments probably depend on the organiser, in my area the tournament banned square bases from competing, but not all take that approach.

In my experience, use clippers to cut the base off around the feet (if they're plastic and the bond is strong, I've found that the model will break before the base), and then file it down, it's not exciting, but it gets the job done.

I agree with Storm. It will depend on the tourney and ultimately the Tournament Organizer. For instance, this years Adepticon is round optional but if your entire army is on rounds, then you get a bonus to your army score. In the future, maybe even GHB2, I foresee rounds becoming a must.

Also, going off of what Storm suggested, I have several scenic square bases with current plastic models on top. Some are even sculpted to use the scenic base as support. What I do is if I want to keep the decorative base, I cut just the sides off the base making it as flat as possible... even sanding the rough areas if needed. Then place on the appropriate round base. Undercoat the base. Then I use Stirling Battlemire texture paint to cover it all, minus the decorations, to make it seemless. If there's too much gap, ill fill with pva glue first, let dry, then add the texture. Im sure pva and sand will work just as good if you don't want to use texture paint.

Thats what I did here with my necromancer:

1deed989c4ae9a88c2dc93287f465eca.jpg

56121ea9fc4cccf6b669ed9796980344.jpg

- Cedric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tyler? (of Mengel Miniatures fame) had a good post on his blog about this.

http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2015/07/tutorial-rebasing-your-fantasy-models.html

I pretty much followed this guide when I rebased my 40+ army of Sylvaneth. I diverged from his guide and used greenstuff instead of milliput for the first 20 or so models (worked fine, but a bit more expensive). Near the end the of the project, I got even lazier and began to not even bother with the greenstuff/milliput and just filled the gap between old base and new base with a white glue and sand mix. It's not quite as nice as filling the gap with greenstuff/milliput, but you have to look pretty darn close to tell them apart.

Hope this helps!

I'd say it would be safer for you to rebase them. Then you';d have no problem. There are tons of ways to do it. The Only one that won't work is pulling the model of thier base. Anything else will be effective.

As for casual play i'd play against you, but if half your army is square and half is round my eyes would eventualy become offended :P. 

The future is rounds. It's coming, there's no point to keeping them on squares if you don't play games which use them on squares.

it can cause...controversy also due to squares being not the new standard, is probably the best way to put it. 

I cut my models off, didn't want to risk popping them off an breaking the model, I happen to have a grinder in my workshop/war room so I used that to tidy it up nice an quick. (It's not for those who don't have a steady hand and good control)

Archived