Stormcast Longstrike Crossbows Raptors

American Raptor

1 hour ago, American Raptor said:

Just ordered three sets of these.  

Anyone use these?  Any advice or tactics?  

Many units work well with them?

thanks. 

For your first 3 I would go 2 of whichever build you prefer and 1 of the other one. I have the same order coming in and I'm making 2 longstrikes and 1 hurricane.

First advice, you really need the special weapons to get the most out of the stormcasts. So 4 starsoul maces, 2 grandhammer and a special weapon for the prosecutors. They are almost universally superior to the standard weapons. Even the retributor hammer.

For the raptors, longstrikes should be in larger squads so they can take buffs more efficiently and hurricanes should be in min squads so you can use the maximum number of charge debuffs and prime +1 to hit.

1 hour ago, American Raptor said:

Just ordered three sets of these.  

Anyone use these?  Any advice or tactics?  

Many units work well with them?

thanks. 

I think the current trend is building the longstikes in big units, then giving them blessed weapons from the Lord Relictor to generate more attacks.

30 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

First advice, you really need the special weapons to get the most out of the stormcasts. So 4 starsoul maces, 2 grandhammer and a special weapon for the prosecutors. They are almost universally superior to the standard weapons. Even the retributor hammer.

For the raptors, longstrikes should be in larger squads so they can take buffs more efficiently and hurricanes should be in min squads so you can use the maximum number of charge debuffs and prime +1 to hit.

I don't believe the negative 2" to charge stacks.  We have read it as "Has this unit been shot by hurrican bolters?" If yes, then -2" to charge.  But we shall need an FAQ to be sure.  

17 minutes ago, Olincay said:

I think the current trend is building the longstikes in big units, then giving them blessed weapons from the Lord Relictor to generate more attacks.

I built all three boxes of mine into 3x3 units of LS w/ 1x Prime each in order to facilitate an Angelos (or justicar... I get these two mixed up) conclave.  

I do think a max sized unit being buffed by LR or just teleported around with Lord Aquilor could be pretty nuts.  I intend on manetizing the Aetherwings and bases so if someone complains that the primes are different models I can put them on appropriate size bases.  If this gets to fiddly I'll just get another box.  Can't have too many Raptors and Aetherwings if you ask me :) 

Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber I am planning for is below.  Basically the Aquilor will teleport around with the large unit of LS-Raptors in order to snipe their heroes, behemoths, elite units, ect.   The rest of the army is there to just mop up, tie down, and take objectives.  It is also a one drop ;) 

Leaders
Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Spellshield 
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Wind Runner
Knight Azyros (80)
- Mystic Light: Shriving Light
Knight Azyros (80)
Knight Venator (120)

Battleline
5 x Vanguard-Hunters (140)

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (160)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Battalions
Vanguard Justicar Conclave (60)
Vanguard Angelos Conclave (100)
Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber (140)

Total: 2460/2000

10 minutes ago, Lord Aquillor said:

I don't believe the negative 2" to charge stacks.  We have read it as "Has this unit been shot by hurrican bolters?" If yes, then -2" to charge.  But we shall need an FAQ to be sure.  

I built all three boxes of mine into 3x3 units of LS w/ 1x Prime each in order to facilitate an Angelos (or justicar... I get these two mixed up) conclave.  

I do think a max sized unit being buffed by LR or just teleported around with Lord Aquilor could be pretty nuts.  I intend on manetizing the Aetherwings and bases so if someone complains that the primes are different models I can put them on appropriate size bases.  If this gets to fiddly I'll just get another box.  Can't have too many Raptors and Aetherwings if you ask me :) 

With their range I don't think you'll need to be teleporting them around :P

And with the -2" to the charge from the Hurricanes the warscroll says.
* If a unit of vanguard raptors with hurricane crossbows directs all of its shooting attacks at a single unit in the shooting phase, that unit must subtract 2 from any charge move they make*
I personally interpret that as if multiple units are directing all their fire on the same unit the negative to charge does stack, that's just me tho.

I've magnetised these and it works pretty decently. I can have:

6 longstrike 1 prime or

6 longstrike 2 primes or

6 Hurricane 1 prime or

6 hurrican 2 prime or

1 of each unit.

Took me a lot longer to build though.

Thinking of a 3rd box, not sure.

26 minutes ago, Lord Aquillor said:

I am working on the Lord Aquilor and 6 Palladors. The models are amazing. 

Anyone use these yet?

IMG_2326.JPG

10 minutes ago, Turragor said:

I've magnetised these and it works pretty decently. I can have:

6 longstrike 1 prime or

6 longstrike 2 primes or

6 Hurricane 1 prime or

6 hurrican 2 prime or

1 of each unit.

Took me a lot longer to build though.

Thinking of a 3rd box, not sure.

Do they have different sized bases?  Hurricanes look circular. The longstrikes look oval. 

Can you put up a pic of those sometime?

19 minutes ago, American Raptor said:

Would you place them back middle of your side with liberator wall?

Really depends on the game you are playing, with their range you definitely don't need them front and centre unless you are using them to hold objectives. A liberator shield wall is always a good tactic if you're worried about them getting charged and into combat.

Putting them in terrain is also a good idea, gives them +1 to their save and is kinda cool/theme'y thinking of them as snipers picking off units and heroes.

2 minutes ago, American Raptor said:

Do they have different sized bases?  Hurricanes look circular. The longstrikes look oval. 

Can you put up a pic of those sometime?

Sure! Bear in mind these are the 2nd and 3rd units I've magnetised (I'm no Magneto).

This is the solution as I see it (The primes are front left and right):

58c313fcea728_2017-03-1021_54_46.jpg.eac8f65aa2f027791a6fca3d51ed5a37.jpg

58c314134767e_2017-03-1021_55_12.jpg.d9ee053bb06f4e5b819122b30fe15a96.jpg

58c3141f1b078_2017-03-1021_57_49.jpg.35e16f887f4388cd11ba2ed196718231.jpg

I should add an Aetherwing to the one on the left but I don't see myself using 2 x 3 longstrike often.

They are not magnetised to the bases as I felt that was too many parts and I don't think it matters, a smaller base size (for example using a 25 when you should be on 32s is more of an issue.

54 minutes ago, Olincay said:

With their range I don't think you'll need to be teleporting them around :P

And with the -2" to the charge from the Hurricanes the warscroll says.
* If a unit of vanguard raptors with hurricane crossbows directs all of its shooting attacks at a single unit in the shooting phase, that unit must subtract 2 from any charge move they make*
I personally interpret that as if multiple units are directing all their fire on the same unit the negative to charge does stack, that's just me tho.

Some armies are very quick and or can move in a way to prevent you using their range.  I feel the teleport will ensure you keep their target at max range and leave the enemies chasing.

As to the stacking... I guess we will have to wait and see how GW responds.  I don't think it stacks still but who knows.  

45 minutes ago, American Raptor said:

I am working on the Lord Aquilor and 6 Palladors. The models are amazing. 

Anyone use these yet?

IMG_2326.JPG

Yeah these models are seriously my favorite.  So far in games they haven't really done anything.  They seem to be over costed for their wound output.  Their ranged threat is negligible and most will be done in close combat.  They look amazing though and I will always field them if possible. 

So anyone have in-game experience with them yet? I've only had one game, where we played on too small a board against 6 Necropolis Knights and a Mourngul, so they never stood a chance. However, I'm convinced that there are plenty of situations where Longstrikes are going to be quite good, just haven't found them yet.

Ive played 1 against beastclaws (3 stonehorns) where they stayed off the board with scions until turn 2 (and we called the game turn 3).

I reckon their damage output is probably about right for 20 pts more than a judicator unit.

I think their use in battalions will be more impressive.

5 hours ago, Requizen said:

So anyone have in-game experience with them yet?

Yeah, I played a game against Lizardmen with them.  I had the Longstrikes set up in a Anvils of the Heldenhammer stormhost with a Lord Relictor nearby.  Only had 3 built at the time of the game though so not optimal.  

I did manage to roll the six for the Heldenhammer ability on turn 2 so they got an extra round of shooting which was tasty.  Also got Bless Weapons off 3/4 turns before the Relictor got smoked by an Engine of the Gods.

There is definitely a lot of potential there as the unit of three did something like 8-10 Wounds to his Stegadon and another 4-6 to his Carnosaur.  

Also the Aetherwings were totally worth the points as they blocked a charge from 10 chameleon skinks on turn 1 and hung them up the rest of the game.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, Lord Aquillor said:

Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber I am planning for is below.  Basically the Aquilor will teleport around with the large unit of LS-Raptors in order to snipe their heroes, behemoths, elite units, ect.   The rest of the army is there to just mop up, tie down, and take objectives.  It is also a one drop ;) 

Leaders
Lord Aquilor (200)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender - Stormcast Eternals
- Artefact: Spellshield 
- Gryph-Charger Trait: Wind Runner
Knight Azyros (80)
Knight Azyros (80)
Knight Venator (120)

Battleline

Units
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
3 x Aetherwings (60)
9 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (540)
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (220)

Battalions
Vanguard Justicar Conclave (60)
Vanguard Angelos Conclave (100)
Vanguard Auxiliary Chamber (140)

Total: 2460/2000

You need a fourth battleline in that list. I wondered how you got so many Raptors in there.

9 minutes ago, American Raptor said:

Thanks for the recon. 

I wondered about the aetherwings. 

For sure!  Aetherwings seem very good at what they're designed to do.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in either the Aetherstrike battalion or the the Vanguard Justicar.  I'm very keen to run one of those formations!

11 minutes ago, American Raptor said:

Dont bother running cuz you'll only die tired

This got you a like.

Archived