The Unofficial Tomb Kings Battletome

The release of the free downloadable PDF of the Unofficial Tomb Kings Battletome is almost here! What are you most looking forward too? Will you be waging war amongst the dunes of the Endless Deserts?

tk_teaser2.jpg.e045b26bf529cb13aa80609ec194bd50.jpg

(PS. this is probably one of my favorite miniature photography images from the book. Who can guess the inspiration for it?)

Seems pretty cool.

I like when the community creates things like this (I have 2 different books of Tyranid Warscrolls that work within AOS).

How do players generally react to these kinds of things? Are they ok with playing as long as you let them know well ahead of time, or do they whine about potential balance the whole time?

Incredibly well painted and converted models, stunningly realistic scenery and skilled photography to boot? Oh, and something about a battletome with rules and fluff and everything?!? You're making the rest of us look bad! 

Seriously though I can't wait to see what you've done with this - it looks absolutely incredible. Well done good sir!

P.S. the inspiration for the photo wouldn't be the epic art from ET: Nagash where Settra fights Nagash, would it?

15 hours ago, Bradifer said:

How do players generally react to these kinds of things? Are they ok with playing as long as you let them know well ahead of time, or do they whine about potential balance the whole time?

It really depends on who and where you're playing. Obviously it's verboten at tournaments but in a friendly game where you let them know ahead of time it should be fine. I wouldn't turn up on the day and spent it on someone you've organised a game with, but the novelty will likely be fun and if you thrash your opponent they can just bleat about it being imbalanced and save their pride. 

8 minutes ago, Nico said:

It's always open for a TO to include the Battletome as an appendix to the pack for a given event and allow them to be used.

This is especially true if things in it aren't blatantly overpowered and are fairly well balanced.  We've worked hard to make sure options were competitive but not broken.

4 hours ago, Davariel said:

P.S. the inspiration for the photo wouldn't be the epic art from ET: Nagash where Settra fights Nagash, would it?

Yupp! I worked on this photo for the better part of a day and nothing was working right before I decided to try out the darker green tinge on one side and the golden yellow on the other, like that End Times pic.

2 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

It really depends on who and where you're playing. Obviously it's verboten at tournaments but in a friendly game where you let them know ahead of time it should be fine. I wouldn't turn up on the day and spent it on someone you've organised a game with, but the novelty will likely be fun and if you thrash your opponent they can just bleat about it being imbalanced and save their pride. 

And be sure to let me know about imbalances! Being a PDF book there's no reason I can't release a version 2.0 down the line based on player feedback.

1 hour ago, Thomas Lyons said:

This is especially true if things in it aren't blatantly overpowered and are fairly well balanced.  We've worked hard to make sure options were competitive but not broken.

Yupp :) Many thanks to @Thomas Lyons for keeping my wilder ideas in check too. We went over all of the additional units and battalions many times and readjusted them to make sure their power level and points cost were fairly balanced.

12 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If only this were coming from GW. It's amazing you are doing this, but around me it's almost certain to never see a game. ?

Well, at the very least you can use the book to reference the GW rules. All of the official GW scrolls are in there, including the 2 battalions, with the updated GW points. Just don't use the additional rules and scrolls. It'll still be a much nicer presentation then the blank white scrolls available now. :) 

I'll be using it at Adepticon minus the additional rules.

22 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

If only this were coming from GW. It's amazing you are doing this, but around me it's almost certain to never see a game. ?

There will likely be events here in the States that will adopt the new content from the book.  This is all I have to say about this at this point... ;-)

Last night I showed off the Battletome on Warhammer Weekly with @Vincent Venturella and @Thomas Lyons! You can find the episode Here

So today I'm showing off the cover for everyone who missed it!

cover_image.jpg.e166be00298cb54e3b55bb5ffdbf426e.jpg

This amazing artwork was done by Kenneth Erickson (@Kenquistador) who you can follow on Twitter and Instagram under the same handle.

The full Battletome will be available to download for free next Wednesday, the 22nd.

6 hours ago, AmurayiWestgate said:

I loved the Warhammer Weekly "preview" show. 

Well done, man!

i just wish there would be more Battle Plans in it. 

I wanted to put more Battleplans in there too, but it just became an issue of time and effort. If I had another battleplan in there I would need more artwork, which was the most time intensive part of this book and would have delayed it even further. I'm also restricted by what armies I own and have painted for photographs.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:13 PM, Auticus said:

Also I will be carrying this over in my public events as well and allowing its use.

Awesome! Let me know how it goes, I will be gathering feedback on this for the inevitable version 2.0 release down the line.

teaser_new.jpg.b52a748cca4a1a0709ecb855cff827b5.jpg

This Wednesday everyone! Dust off those khopeshes and chariots, the Kings are back in town!

Can you mark the warscrolls you added with a little icon:

One for "100% official" and one for "House-ruled" in case you made new ones or changed existing ones?

I'd like to dumb my old Tomb Kings PDF printout in favor in yours but would like to be able to identify on a tournament what i actually unmodified content. Thanks! 

@Mengel Miniatures I was able to view last week's Warhammer Weekly video yesterday and was completely blown away by what you and your team have accomplished, what a great labour of love!!! I am very much looking forward to downloading the book in two days.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for sharing with the Community; it is folks like you that make this place so amazing.

I would love for your work to have legs and be at least passively "blessed" by the new GW, but I'm concerned. 

The old GW would be all over you with legal telling you to stop.  Have you had and contact from them at all?  If so, has it been to encourage you or get you to stop? 

If they aren't looking to shut you down, it will make it a lot easier to dive in, build new units, and so on.

Things like this is why I like this hobby (Wargames in general)

The ammount of work and profesionality that fans put in their work its astonishing. Every hobby has their fanworks, but the Wargames hobby, maybe by its own nature (Expensive hobby, time consuming, etc...) has probably one of the best fan-created content.

This its on level with a proper official release from a big multinational. (And in many cases, even surpases it) The maquetation, the presentation, oh... ohm... 

If you are going to present to GW, at least let us download it first if they ask you to shut it down! :P 

Archived