Beginner thinking of starting!

Hi everyone, first time on the forums.

I have been a 40k player for most of my hobby-life and after taking a huge break, I've decided to come back and try Age of Sigmar.

I've had a good look through the models and rules etc. and thought that I really like the model of Free Peoples (old Empire models? AFAIK).

Now how would I start the Free People army? I want to start small so I thought a unit of Handgunners would be a start...

And do I need to purchase round bases? Because the Handgunners box comes with square ones according to the GW online store.

Finally, would it be foolish to do Free People? 

It seems like they could be squatted or models put off production...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Hi Deductions!

Free People are a great army with lots of tools in their toolbox. @Paul Conti is a great Free Peoples player, and can help with advice I'm sure. While things aren't strictly round base only, it's probably going to head that way. The good news is you can pick them up fairly cheap.

I don't the the FP will get the Squat treatment, in fact I think they will evolve. There are lots of great, recent kits that I'm sure will come back like the Luminark, War Altar, etc. 

Welcome to the party!

1) Download the Age of Sigmar app - that will give you easy access to all the rules and you can page through and see what things you like.
2) You don't need to buy round bases, but I would recommend it if you intend to do tournaments.
3) Free people are unlikely to be squatted, but you may find a new kit comes out to replace the old ones.

My dad plays free people. We both think they are great. The models and what fluff we have (plus what they had when they where empire) is hilarious to me. Ol' shoeless Joe takin on Archaon with his trusty blunderbuss!

They are a pretty horde centric army, though I doubt you have to run them that way if you dont like it.  handgunners can be buffed into the stratosphere to the point that they are autohitting and wounding on 2's.  plus they count as battle line! my dad runs a big unit of 30 of them backed up with cannons and its nuts the damage they put out if I cant reach them to shut down.  he often screens them with small units of swords men. which makes it hard for me to get to them if im not bringing shooting or flying units.  

Like others said you dont ''need'' round bases but it does improve the aesthetic and if you ever plan on tourney's then you're going to want them. 

To start an army I personally would get: An empire(freeguild?) General box, it comes with both a foot and mounted version and they are both great for buffing your troops.  Then maybe a box of handgunners like you said and maybe some greatswords or statetroops and a cannon! 

The Free People's unit choices give you a range of options to persue, whether it's a ranged heavy army, or a cavalry focused force, or just a generalists army that has a little bit of everything.

Handgunners aren't a bad way to get started, look to pick up the equivilent of a start collecting box's content, say an Empire General, 20 x Handgunners and a squad of Pistoleers / Outriders. That'll give you a core force to try out and see what you enjoy building and painting, plus enough to play a game to see where you'd like to expand next.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Free People force works best when combined with other Order options, such as the Collegiate Arcana and the Ironweld Arsenal. They're previously part of the same miniature range, so they'll usually match up and there's nothing as fun as playing with a Steam Tank or two :)

2 hours ago, OlDirtyCosta said:

As long as you dont tell gw I told you check ebay for bases.  I think I got 100 28mm for 10$ awhile back, free shipping.

well that settles it. Over the summer my dwarfs will finally get the shiny round bases. :D

12 hours ago, Hyperion said:

The models and what fluff we have (plus what they had when they where empire) is hilarious to me. Ol' shoeless Joe takin on Archaon with his trusty blunderbuss!

Just had to pop in to give a shoutout to Ol' Shoeless Joe - blunderbussing daemons like a boss since The World That Was.

Archived