Battleline

SolarBur

Question

Hi all. 

Just wondering if someone could explain how batteline units work. I've hard various explanations of it on how it works in terms of matched play but I still can't seem to understand it. 

I understand that i have to take battleline units in matched play, say if its 1k i have to take two from one of the various armies. Some of them say that if you take units with that keyword from that army they count as battleline. And i assume if you mix in something else you lose battleline on them completely ? 

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, SolarBur said:

Hi all. 

Hi!

2 hours ago, SolarBur said:

Just wondering if someone could explain how batteline units work. I've hard various explanations of it on how it works in terms of matched play but I still can't seem to understand it. 

I understand that i have to take battleline units in matched play, say if its 1k i have to take two from one of the various armies. Some of them say that if you take units with that keyword from that army they count as battleline. And i assume if you mix in something else you lose battleline on them completely ? 

Your understanding is correct.  Some units only gain the Battleline status if the whole of your army is chosen from a particular allegiance.  For example if your army contained only models from "Slaves to Darkness" then you could use Chaos Knights as a Battleline unit.  If you wanted to add a Skaven unit, then your allegiance will simply become "Chaos" and you couldn't count your Chaos Knights towards the Battleline requirement.

It's worth noting though that summoned units don't change your allegiance because they're added during the game.  So in the case above* your Chaos Sorcerer Lord could summon a unit of Plaguebearers during the game, but you'd still have a Slaves to Darkness army despite now having a Nurgle Daemon unit.

* without the Skaven unit

11 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

Hi!

Your understanding is correct.  Some units only gain the Battleline status if the whole of your army is chosen from a particular allegiance.  For example if your army contained only models from "Slaves to Darkness" then you could use Chaos Knights as a Battleline unit.  If you wanted to add a Skaven unit, then your allegiance will simply become "Chaos" and you couldn't count your Chaos Knights towards the Battleline requirement.

It's worth noting though that summoned units don't change your allegiance because they're added during the game.  So in the case above* your Chaos Sorcerer Lord could summon a unit of Plaguebearers during the game, but you'd still have a Slaves to Darkness army despite now having a Nurgle Daemon unit.

* without the Skaven unit

Thanks for responding ^^

I've just been reading through the generals handbook at all the points and battleline units. I was concerned that it would be hard to mix armies and units while keeping it a matched play army, but seems my worries were a little unfounded because most of the armies pretty much have a regular battleline unit and optional battleline units. 

Only a few armies don't have that option. 

But thanks for answering my question ^^

3 minutes ago, Durant said:

I have a diferent question, if I take battleline unit twice it's min size is it one battline or two battline?

Still just one. Battleline requirements are for separate units on the battlefield. See the FAQ about "merging" battleline units during setup. 

5 minutes ago, Durant said:

I have a diferent question, if I take battleline unit twice it's min size is it one battline or two battline?

For example:

• one unit of 5 Liberators is one battleline unit
  • one unit of 10 Liberators is one battleline unit
  • two units of 5 Liberators are two battleline units
  • two units of 10 Liberators are two battleline units

etc etc...

25 minutes ago, Durant said:

I can answer that one for you. 

Even if you take a battleline unit twice its size it still counts as just one unit. 

Archived