Stonehorns, Thundertusk and Battleline

thediceabide

Hey guys, I'm surprised I hadn't seen this bit of interesting news on TGA anywhere.

The background is, someone was wondering if it was intentional that Behemoth was left out the note in the Beastclaw Raiders for Stonehorn/Thundertusk Beast Riders. Most people (like myself) assumed that Battleline was appended with their natural Behemoth role, but someone got around to asking GW on Facebook about it and got this response:

IMG_9458.JPG.b158ca4eaa227f71be465651167eaec8.JPG

That didn't sway me personally, I've worked at GW, I know how those questions historically were answered. It did however prompt me to take a look at all the other Behomoths with notes to change Battlefield Role (they're all Leaders, like the Phoenix), I did notice that they said that they became "Leader, Behemoth" and never just said "Leader." Then came the talk if GW coming out with their own army building app, and I figured that would put the discussion to rest...

In the new Azyr army builder app, if you're making a Beastclaw Raiders army, the Beast Riders only count towards your Battleline, and not your Behemoth Limit, though the app does count the Leaders against the Behemoth Limit appropriately.

IMG_9457.JPG.68422e561a16011d5e5d1f4c94b62bd8.JPG

This has me pretty well convinced that Stonehorn and Thundertusk Beastriders count as Battleline and not Behemoths, when playing Beastclaw Raiders. The only argument against it would be that you think the Generals Handbook notes are a mistake, the GW customer service rep is wrong, and their own army builder app is incorrect.

So, what do you guys think of the future of BCR running 5-6 Behemoths in 2000 points? :)

I don't have my General's Handbook to hand, but does the rule about cover apply to Monsters (keyword) or Behemoth (battlefield role)? Pretty interesting if it's the latter.

All this said though...

21 hours ago, thediceabide said:

the Generals Handbook notes are a mistake, the GW customer service rep is wrong, and their own army builder app is incorrect.

...Could feasibly be correct! Haha!

I don't have my General's Handbook to hand, but does the rule about cover apply to Monsters (keyword) or Behemoth (battlefield role)? Pretty interesting if it's the latter.
All this said though...

Monsters.

Sent from the Hidden Enclaves via the Realmroots

8 hours ago, Beau said:

I mean I don't think it's super competitive compared to other options but it's thematic and fun.

Not super competitive, but does create some interesting options... I'm sure someone will run 3 Thundertusk Beastriders and 3 Thundertusk Huskards at some point (someone with too many friends?)

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

All this said though...

Hahaha, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in GHB2, which is why I'm waiting before I go jump on some more Beastriders.

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

Battleline
Stonehorn Beastriders (360)
- Beastclaw Raiders Battleline

Units

Total: 2000/2000

Not competitive, but pretty 'themey', and exactly 2000 points.

I looked at exactly this point when GHB came out last year, and after reading and rereading the exact wording, and talking to others, reluctantly concluded that they would be both Batteline AND Behemoth - just like Leaders AND Behemoth for other units. However, if this is an official ruling then......

Or how about this - make your opponents fume!

Leaders
Huskard on Thundertusk (340)

Battleline
Thundertusk Beastriders (320)

Units

Total: 1980/2000

1 hour ago, Soup Dragon said:

I looked at exactly this point when GHB came out last year, and after reading and rereading the exact wording, and talking to others, reluctantly concluded that they would be both Batteline AND Behemoth - just like Leaders AND Behemoth for other units. However, if this is an official ruling then......

I was on the same boat, though for the models that become " Leader, Behemoth" the note does explicitly list both, i.e. Arachnarok Spider's note is "Leader, Behemoth if carrying a Spiderfang Grot Shaman."

1 hour ago, Soup Dragon said:

Leaders

Battleline

Units

Yeah, I like to call that the Zero-Friends Express list. :)

2 hours ago, Soup Dragon said:

Leaders

Battleline

Units

That's a lot of ranged mortal woundage.

The only rules argument to counter is the new Escalation in the FAQ talks explicitly about units which are both Battleline and Behemoths. If this isn't the BCR they are talking about, what other units are both?

Perhaps food for thought.

31 minutes ago, bottle said:

The only rules argument to counter is the new Escalation in the FAQ talks explicitly about units which are both Battleline and Behemoths. If this isn't the BCR they are talking about, what other units are both?

That's a good spot Bottle. I guess that settles it really. An official Errata trumps an opinion on Facebook every time

7 hours ago, bottle said:

Sure, though it says nothing about either of the BCR units, it's just a catch all phrase to cover a rules combination that could exist. I would say that the rules on the actual unit, verified by their own army builder, is a bit more relevant to them than a generic phrase that doesn't specifically indicate them. 

Haha alot of hostlities about this thing all over the internet, but on TGA all is Well ;) I got told by a friend that they will be ruled as Behomoths and I do think he will be right. Personaly I think it would be kinda fun to be able to play battalions like Torrbad not only with bere minimum. And enerybody is saying its not to competetive anyway??

36 minutes ago, Jesper77 said:

Haha alot of hostlities about this thing all over the internet, but on TGA all is Well ;) I got told by a friend that they will be ruled as Behomoths and I do think he will be right. Personaly I think it would be kinda fun to be able to play battalions like Torrbad not only with bere minimum. And enerybody is saying its not to competetive anyway??

Fortunately the discussion here has been much more civil.

That said there isn't much going in favor of them still counting as Behemoths other than it "feeling right." I mean, GW has failed in every instance to say that they're still Behemoths, in the book, their customer service, and their app... I know that I'll personally be waiting for the GHB2 before I add any more Beastriders to my collection, but it would be nice to have the option for the sake of having more list options. Ultimately, it's not that great anyhow, the 3-4 huskard list plus grots is still far more competitive.

Archived