Having second thoughts on colour scheme

Saproling

Hey all,

I'm having second thoughts on the whole pastel-purple scheme for my Aelfs. Mainly it feels really hard to get anything to go with it on a colour theory level, and that having a stronger colour removes focus from the purple. :( Not only that, but silver is a 'cold' colour and gold/brass doesn't seem to work as the main metallic. Trying to get the spireguard shields to not draw all attention from the rest of the mini is a definite speedbump. I'm of two minds on this:

A) I push through with pastel purple on everything- mage, swordmasters, skycutters, etc

or

B) I strip, re-prime and try and follow the 'official' blue colour scheme and just try and pump out painted minis.

I guess there's an option C too where I strip, re-prime and have the pastel purple as a secondary colour to blue or something.

Any help would be appreciated as I've lost steam and just don't feel happy with how the spireguard in particular are turning out.

-Sap.

That's a real shame. I've been thoroughly enjoying your scheme, so much so I've memorised the recipe for when I collect a suitable faction in the future.

I do feel you though. I've been in a similar situation myself a few times. It's really frustrating when things just don't 'click' visually.

That said I think you could salvage your scheme. Two options I can think of are:

1. Stick with the lilac but only on the cloth. The pieces that would be white in the traditional scheneClassic-HELothernSeaGuardCommand_873x627

And paint the trim, feathers and ribbons a deeper, true purple, and use teal (I'd say kabalite green or thousand sons blue) as a spot colour where the traditional scheme has red.

2. Stick with the pastel and use a darker teal colour on the body of the armour and shields to contrast.

I'd keep at it as I've been loving your work, but sometimes if you're not enjoying it you do just have to bit the bullet and start afresh

3 hours ago, Saproling said:

Hey all,

I'm having second thoughts on the whole pastel-purple scheme for my Aelfs. Mainly it feels really hard to get anything to go with it on a colour theory level, and that having a stronger colour removes focus from the purple. :( Not only that, but silver is a 'cold' colour and gold/brass doesn't seem to work as the main metallic. Trying to get the spireguard shields to not draw all attention from the rest of the mini is a definite speedbump. I'm of two minds on this:

A) I push through with pastel purple on everything- mage, swordmasters, skycutters, etc

or

B) I strip, re-prime and try and follow the 'official' blue colour scheme and just try and pump out painted minis.

I guess there's an option C too where I strip, re-prime and have the pastel purple as a secondary colour to blue or something.

Any help would be appreciated as I've lost steam and just don't feel happy with how the spireguard in particular are turning out.

-Sap.

I wouldn't let "colour theory" hamstring you.  Painting an army is not the same as painting a miniature.  Think in terms of "light, bright, and dark" instead of color.  All visual form is comprised of patterns of these three elements.  "Cool" and "warm" have little to do with it.

Actually gold and purple are complementary colours, you just have to pick the right shade of gold to work with the more muted colour purple. For example, try Warpstone Bronze with a dry brush of Skullcrusher Brass to give a darker, dirtier gold.

Also consider using a purple wash or glaze over the silver coloured areas, the Forge World clear airbrush paint works well here.

Thanks for the replies,

I've slept on the idea and I'm probably going to strip and re-do with the standard blue or a pure purple rather than the pastel. Might save that for a different army project.

Edit: Okay, I went through and looked at the schemes and galleries of the older 6th ed and 7th ed army books for high elves and it does seem I went about the purple wrongly- it should be secondary to the white colour of their cloth. Gonna strip them, then re-do again but this time have an army book on hand to refer back to.

Archived