Can a hidden assassin claim VP in Three Places of Power?

Dez

Question

11 answers to this question

If the model isn't on the board I doubt he can hold an objective. You don't really have any way to establish distance from the objective. I don't see anything explicitly giving an answer on this, but I would think the assassin doesn't count as being on the board until he is actually on the board.

There's an answer in the general FAQ which would extend to this situation (page 2 The Rules FAQ). You cannot use abilities (e.g. the Lord Celestant cannot pop his command ability when off the table in the Celestial Realm). The same logic would apply to scoring an objective. 

This is up there with trying to win with Carrion to score without being attackable as being an absurdity/unintended exploit, as opposed to a good combo.

Surely you declare (secretly) that he is hidden in a particular model for the purpose of his ability, but the model itself isn't on the table and so can't score. The assassin model is not literally 'hidden' within wherever he is, that's just part of the ability which determines where he can 'spawn' when he does enter the battlefield. Hopefully that was clear.

Nico, can you show me the link to the changeling ruling of the tournament. Its been a issue at my local gaming club.

Until revealed, he is part of your army. But the guy says he still contest, because its his model and its within the objective.

On 13/03/2017 at 2:29 AM, CaptKeiv said:

Nico, can you show me the link to the changeling ruling of the tournament. Its been a issue at my local gaming club.

Until revealed, he is part of your army. But the guy says he still contest, because its his model and its within the objective.

You simply can't contest unless you are revealed. The rules for the scoring in the handbook scenarios are pretty clear.

"You control this objective if no enemy models are within x inches"

The changeling is treated as part of your army until revealed, therefore no enemy models are within range to contest. As he is treated as part of your army, he would potentially score for you as well if you really wanted to argue it, as until revealed he is treated as essentially a friendly model.

You simply can't contest unless you are revealed. The rules for the scoring in the handbook scenarios are pretty clear.

"You control this objective if no enemy models are within x inches"

The changeling is treated as part of your army until revealed, therefore no enemy models are within range to contest. As he is treated as part of your army, he would potentially score for you as well if you really wanted to argue it, as until revealed he is treated as essentially a friendly model.

We would rule it this way at London's #Calling 2017 even if there wasn't a specific rule in the Pack on the point. 

Archived