Lord Aquillor vs Lord Celestant on Dracoth

AdamR

Not as the General, but as a supplemental beatstick. Obviously the Dracoth can do mortal wounds, and has a better save with the Thundershield, but I am liking the improved maneuverability of the Aquillor. Does anyone have much experience of one yet, or is it all still theoryhammer?

Tried Aquilor. The Aquilor seemed like the superior fighter when it comes to how reliable his output was and his means of getting there. Having said that, when it comes to combat as a whole, I consider the Dracoth guy superior. He has a trait that gives the Dracoth +2 attacks when other Dracoths are nearby, he re-rolls 1s for saves and has two options for mortal wounds. He is also part of the Lords of the Storm Formation if that is your jam. This makes up for his rather swingy damage output.

The strength of the Aquilor is not bashing faces, although he deos it well enough. It is for his Command Ability to get Raptors or Palladors around and charge where you do not expect him. Taking him as a beatstick wastes his enormous potential. Take the last bit from someone who actually used that trait every single turn and got some good results (the sub-par performance of other Vanguard untis notwithstanding).

This is generally a way I approach SCE heroes. None of them can match true beatsticks like Ghoul on Zombie Dragon or the angry cabbage of the Ironjaws. They are force multipliers first and foremost. Trust me that Paladins and Dracoths outperform any SCE hero in melee, without exception. That is not to say they are bad. No, many of them hit hard, but it shouldn't be their primary purpose.

But to come abck to your first question. Aquilor: speed, reliable damage. Dracoth: staying power, swingy but potentially superior damage. Dracoth is my pick.

It's for the last 220 points of my 2k list I'm taking to the alliance tournament. General is a Celestant on foot, there are no other Vanguards or Dracoths in my list. I've been using the Dracoth so far, but picked up the Aquillor yesterday. I've been using the LCoD with Obsidian Blade and Keen Clawed, so it can throw out a fair amount of damage. But I agree he can be quite swingy, he tends to be awesome, or rolling 1 on D3 all day long.

EDIT - I don't have another 5 Retributors I could just sub in before that gets suggested!

I am going to be testing both over the coming weeks. On paper I feel the Dracoth is far superior for the points, however the ability to set-up in pursuit may prove to be worth more than we expect with the meta shifting to being more shooting heavy. The Aquilor can not only avoid being shot at before he gets to strike but also may threaten the opponents backline of shooting.

Aquilor with any damage boosting weapon artefact and the aetherstalker mount trait could be a pretty handy assassin. Bit expensive for that mind you.

The movement makes the Aquilor worth it for me so I might take defensive stuff on him to get the most out of that harassment potential.

Don't have the models!

The only thing I've got that's 200 points are 6 Prosecutors.
Also have 5 Liberators and an Errant-Questor. Everything else I have is already in the list!

EDIT - The list currently looks like this:

Lord Celestant - General, Staunch Defender, Spell Shield - 100
Lord Celestant on Dracoth - Obsidian blade, keen clawed mount. -220
Lord Castellant - 100
Lord Relictor - Bless Weapons - 80
Knight Vexillor - Pennant of the Stormbringer 140
Prosecutors x3, Stormcall Javelins, Stormsurge Trident - 80
Protectors x5, 2 starsoul maces - 200
Retributors x5, Lightning hammers - 220
Liberators x20 - hammer & shield, 4 grand hammers - 400
Judicators x5 boltstorm crossbows - 160 
Judicators x5, skybolt bows - 160
Hammerstrike Battalion - 120

I'm going to drop the spell shield and take Mirror Shield I think to cut down on general sniping. I originally wanted some anti wizard unbinding, but in use the Lord Celestant was out of range most of the time.

7 hours ago, AdamR said:

It's for the last 220 points of my 2k list I'm taking to the alliance tournament. General is a Celestant on foot, there are no other Vanguards or Dracoths in my list. I've been using the Dracoth so far, but picked up the Aquillor yesterday. I've been using the LCoD with Obsidian Blade and Keen Clawed, so it can throw out a fair amount of damage. But I agree he can be quite swingy, he tends to be awesome, or rolling 1 on D3 all day long.

EDIT - I don't have another 5 Retributors I could just sub in before that gets suggested!

taking 5 retributors by themselves is poopy, they actually kinda suck without the formations. If they're not your general, dracoth with keen claw every time.

Edit: Looking at the list and what models you have available, you just don't have that many really competitive options. Unfortunately you'll need to expand your collection if you want to get to a really cutting edge point.

Depends on how you're going to play really. 

Aquilor is excellent in a hit and run list if you want to be jumping around the board. 

LCoD is a tank and also makes rest of your list a tank with his command ability. He also far superior in combat with the potential for a much great damage output than the Aquilor.

In the list you've posted putting Staunch Defender on him and having him near the 20 Liberators will much improve their role in game. They'll be the Anvil to the Hammerstrikes Hammer.

I agree with @BURF1 though. Paladin units need to be in 10s eventual. You'll find 5 bounce and die too frequently.

Slightly off topic how what weapon option are most people giving the LCoD? I find I'm often disappointed by the Tempestos Hammer, even on the charge with that D3 damage, but I love hitting on 2's. Lightning hammer seems like the alternative, thoughts?

On topic I love the idea of an Aquilor teleporting 9 longstrikes every turn. Or two teleporting 18 every turn.

On 3/5/2017 at 9:49 AM, twrightii said:

Slightly off topic how what weapon option are most people giving the LCoD? I find I'm often disappointed by the Tempestos Hammer, even on the charge with that D3 damage, but I love hitting on 2's. Lightning hammer seems like the alternative, thoughts?

On topic I love the idea of an Aquilor teleporting 9 longstrikes every turn. Or two teleporting 18 every turn.

I've honestly never even considered giving him anything but the lightning hammer. The stun on pile-ins make it the best choice before you even see how ridiculous the potential damage output could be, it also benefits the most +1 attack. Champion+strife Ender+Fury brand+keen-claw could have him taking down archaon in one round of combat.

I always go Tempestos Hammer, as I'm an eternal optimist, and I'm just looking at his peak damage output, especially on the charge - 18 wounds!

Admittedly I never get that, but I can still dream. It also has 2" range for the odd occasions where that will matter.

Back on topic, I ended up going with the Celestant on Dracoth, and in my last practice game yesterday regretted it massively as the Aquilors extra mobility would have allowed me to grab an objective that was sitting out of range waving at me...

Archived