Tzeentch Arcanites Item (Ambition's End)

RonNurgledy

Question

Hi guys, just looking for a quick clarification about an item introduced in the recent Tzeentch book. 

The item pictured below appears for Tzeentch mortal / arcanites.  My question relates to the final sentence, which says that hits against a wizard cause that wizard to forget a spell, randomly. 

If this attack were to land upon a chaos wizard, for example, how would you resolve which spell is to be forgotten, considering that on almost every daemon warscroll, it states that "CHAOS WIZARDS know the Summon X Daemon spell, in addition to any others they know".  This means the list of spells known to chaos wizards is pretty long (I haven't counted the number of summon spells). 

Now, the best course is probably to disregard the summon spells completely when determining which spell is to be forgotten, but this could work unfairly in the favour of the defender, if he plans to summon a specific unit at some point in the game. 

Has anyone experienced this issue?  I can't imagine the scenario will surface very often at all, but considering a win-at-all-costs player I know, it would be nice to have some clarification. 

Item in question

Untitled.png.f76e97894c83b4bfca3d7ae5e044cf7e.png

Example of a summon spell

Untitled2.png.f3b14fed61636d0f09262cd96d5fb2a6.png

5 answers to this question

What a great question! It looks like whoever wrote the rules for this item didn't consider the wealth of summoning spells Death, Chaos and Slaan wizards have access to. Without an faq there's no clear right or wrong answer to this without an faq, so you've got two options, maybe discuss these with your opponent before the game if you've picked this artefact or manage to randomly generate it:

RAW you'd count up every Chaos or Death or Seraphon or whatever warscroll with a summoning spell on it available to the wizard, throw Arcane Bolt and Mystic shield, plus any other spells he knows through allegiance or his warscroll in the pile and have fun generating one.

RAPI (Rules As Probably Intended), you'd list Mystic Shield, Arcane Bolt, the spells on the wizard's warscroll, and any extra ones generated by allegiance or whatever and randomly generate one of those. (nobody's going to miss being able to summon K'Daai Fireborn!)

18 hours ago, Nico said:

It's a narrative weapon. Good idea for one though.

It appears as the first choice on the artefacts of power table for mortal tzeentch allegience.  I thought these were used in pitched battles, or am I confusing something? 

Page 76 of the Tzeentch battletome. 

Untitled.png.e91d1ec625a4bac1a52ebf1f902c0f2b.png

On 3/5/2017 at 10:03 AM, RonNurgledy said:

It appears as the first choice on the artefacts of power table for mortal tzeentch allegience.  I thought these were used in pitched battles, or am I confusing something? 

Page 76 of the Tzeentch battletome. 

Untitled.png.e91d1ec625a4bac1a52ebf1f902c0f2b.png

They're not specifically for Pitched Battle (Matched Play). There is never any mention of being for that mode of play only.

Archived