Bretonnia Battletome Project

henin

Unofficial Bretonnian Battletome  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would a full unofficial Bretonnian Battletome for AoS interest you?

• Yes! I have something to offer for this project so i will notify you!
    • Yes! I would love to see this and really hope it gets done!
    • Sure, hope it happens.
    • Nah, too complicated...
    • No I am fine with things as they are.
    • NO! DEATH TO THE LADY!

When only heroes get mount traits, it feels like the mounts of the army are pretty much standard and that the heroes get the rare, special ones from among them.

If all mounted units get various mount traits, it would feel more like the army has multiple different breeds of mounts and different units might be using different breeds of mounts for different purposes. Like I would expect from an army where mounts are very important.

Random examples:

1."Our horses come from the north".  => It just means they have horses and all of them similar to each other. Nothing special. Not Breton.

2."Our northern horses are tough, southern horses are nimble, western are intelligent, eastern are lucky." => It seems like horses are an integral part of their society, so they are everywhere, Feels Breton.

Hope it is clearer now.

• Like 1

Zeroken I really like your second example with having regional or racial differences between the horses. I would just be careful adding more abilities without increasing the point cost, which I am hoping would be avoided. How about the traits come with both a bonus to some stats and a penalty to others? For example a sturdier breed could have +1 save and -2 move or what do I know.

If they were not balanced this way, then I would only have these traits for the mounts for heroes. Though I do admit that the whole story is way cooler if it is applied across the board.

I would be afraid of the tome becoming too unbalanced for my mates to care to accept me using it, if the updates or additions going forward are not balanced. 

I have the feeling the point of "horses of the north, west, east and south" is thought quite small.

I mean, we have seen maps of parts of aqshy, ghyran, shyish and chamon, that had the size of the entire world that was, and these are basicly perhaps 1-5% of there realm at best (perhaps even less).

So that does a compass direction mean in that case. Or do the bretonians only live in a tiny little spot of one realm, where most of the armies will never see them?

35 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

I have the feeling the point of "horses of the north, west, east and south" is thought quite small.

I mean, we have seen maps of parts of aqshy, ghyran, shyish and chamon, that had the size of the entire world that was, and these are basicly perhaps 1-5% of there realm at best (perhaps even less).

So that does a compass direction mean in that case. Or do the bretonians only live in a tiny little spot of one realm, where most of the armies will never see them?

That was just a random example, the first way of naming different breeds that popped in my mind. The names, locations and traits would of course be different, more fitting for the new lore. Could change based on the realm or the specific brotherhood or something completely different.

23 hours ago, Beregond said:

Zeroken I really like your second example with having regional or racial differences between the horses. I would just be careful adding more abilities without increasing the point cost, which I am hoping would be avoided. How about the traits come with both a bonus to some stats and a penalty to others? For example a sturdier breed could have +1 save and -2 move or what do I know.

If they were not balanced this way, then I would only have these traits for the mounts for heroes. Though I do admit that the whole story is way cooler if it is applied across the board.

I would be afraid of the tome becoming too unbalanced for my mates to care to accept me using it, if the updates or additions going forward are not balanced. 

That was what I was thinking too. In the last page, I suggested giving, positive mount traits to heroes and traits that has both positive and negative effects to troops. I definitely agree that it should be balanced. I already have trouble finding anyone to play with just because it is unofficial.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:29 PM, Zeroken said:

That was just a random example, the first way of naming different breeds that popped in my mind. The names, locations and traits would of course be different, more fitting for the new lore. Could change based on the realm or the specific brotherhood or something completely different.

That was what I was thinking too. In the last page, I suggested giving, positive mount traits to heroes and traits that has both positive and negative effects to troops. I definitely agree that it should be balanced. I already have trouble finding anyone to play with just because it is unofficial.

Indeed. The balance is my concern too! For friends to allow one to play with this, it needs to be very balanced yet have to have right feel. Even though I can see how mount traits would fit, I fear adding more to an already very capable tome. They few times I’ve used it, it was great as is. From a mechanical standpoint there is no need for more, the way I see it. 

Also, I would love an update soon, and more stuff, takes more time, whyfore I would rather see an well edited and balanced tome without mount traits than wait for the arduous testing and designing of mount traits to be implemented... 

Less is more in this matter, really! 😊

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I don't think I have much to offer, but I can help with any balancing if you need it - I offer my total support to this project throughout, and would love to help with anything - I can help write lore if you need it. I consider myself a halfway competent author. 😉 After all, we Asrai fought alongside your knights in the Old World enough to know they are worthy and honourable soldiers. As you say, for the lady! I beleive that is correct, yes?

On 7/21/2019 at 12:51 PM, AthelLoren said:

I don't think I have much to offer, but I can help with any balancing if you need it - I offer my total support to this project throughout, and would love to help with anything - I can help write lore if you need it. I consider myself a halfway competent author. 😉 After all, we Asrai fought alongside your knights in the Old World enough to know they are worthy and honourable soldiers. As you say, for the lady! I beleive that is correct, yes?

well the Ladie's daughter is half-Asrai 

Here's an idea: The Lady is sleeping in a spring in Ghyran, and Alarrielle finds her and awakens her, because she remembers her from the old world. The Lady brings her culture into AOS, and because there is no Bretonia anymore, it becomes more of a concept of Honour and Chivalry. As such, the Knights of Briton would be born.

11 hours ago, AthelLoren said:

Here's an idea: The Lady is sleeping in a spring in Ghyran, and Alarrielle finds her and awakens her, because she remembers her from the old world. The Lady brings her culture into AOS, and because there is no Bretonia anymore, it becomes more of a concept of Honour and Chivalry. As such, the Knights of Briton would be born.

Hello.

This is a long topic, so you might not have seen it but there is a post by Henin on page 8 that includes the lore written so far. (I didn't want to quote it since it is very long.) Alternative lore explanations are great, but I think it might be a better idea to build up on what has already been written.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I recently tried my first Meeting Engagement game with my Bretons (a weird game which ended with my rearguard and main body being completely annihilated but my spearhead taking zero casualties. Anyway...) I though a tool to help prepare meeting engagement army lists for our Bretons would be useful.

So I whipped up something simple. Once again, it is just an excel file, but I think it might prove useful.

How to use:

1)Edit the blues, save the file.

2)Copy the file if you want to save multiple armies.

I'm open to any suggestions, questions, etc.

For the Lady!

Breton Meeting Engagement Army List Helper.xlsx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was one who was quite willing to set aside time for project. Unfortunately others involved weren't as committed. When I was rebuffed multiple times for a voice chat over Discord, taking into consideration the time zone differences. Instead of the glacial progress via chat to try and iron out the rules, i knew this project would be dead in the water. It's a real shame as it started with so much promise.     

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SpiritofHokuto said:

I was one who was quite willing to set aside time for project.

Me too. For example I reviewed the battletome 0.6 rules for mistakes and corrected them. I also took pictures from a lot of models from my miniature collection that were intended for the warscrolls and sent them to Henin about one year ago. Almost nothing happened since then. Sadly he seems to have no time or at least not as much time as the project would need. I offered my help more than once, but he insisted to create the AoS 2.0 style warscrolls himself. I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. So I fear SpiritofHokuto is right.

It sucks big time, but the tome is dead! @henin needs to wake up and either put this in the grave, or resuscitate this tome, now! I’m sure there are plenty of people willing to assist and support it, but without the leader present at all, it’s very difficult getting motivated! 

Either do it, or kill it!

• Like 1

I have to apologise to everyone. I started this project with a lot of effort to get it going and I had so much hope for this but this last year has been an absolute overflow of overwhelming events in my life. Between some members of the family being hospitalized, surgeries and two other members passing, I've had to work more to aid our financial situation. I will not list all the things that have happened, there is some good but among them my brother has been diagnosed with MS... If everything wasn't enough, this took a tole on my family and I.

It has been a real strain to keep up with my responsibilities and find small moments to myself rarely. I don't know when I will be able to personally continue this project but I am willing to hand the torch over to those who are able.

I owe you all an apology for bringing us to this point, including all those who have worked hard to make this happen, only to have it come to a halt with uncertainty of it's progress. I hope you all can forgive me but I do hope this isn't the end of it. I am sorry. I am willing to perhaps guide over the project and get it going again but I don't know for how long and how much. If your interested, message me and we will go from there. I am very slow at responding too so please be patient. Best wishes.

Sincerely,

Henin.

Thank  you for your respons. I am very sorry to hear what has transpired in your life... it would definitely also push gaming far in the background! 

My thoughts go out to you...

Regarding the tome, I hope work will continue. It’s not a bad product, but as GW continues to published new armies, and errata so does the project. Hopefully, the work will continue.

Again, best wishes.