Bretonnia Battletome Project

henin

Unofficial Bretonnian Battletome  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would a full unofficial Bretonnian Battletome for AoS interest you?

• Yes! I have something to offer for this project so i will notify you!
    • Yes! I would love to see this and really hope it gets done!
    • Sure, hope it happens.
    • Nah, too complicated...
    • No I am fine with things as they are.
    • NO! DEATH TO THE LADY!

I don't think the King as I used him is too strong. Please notice that the King is limited to one model in your army, only one model (your General) can have the command trait Virtue of Heroism and you can only give the artifact Ghyrstrike to one Hero. Further he's only good against Heroes and Monsters, against regular troops you can expect him to do less than half of that damage. The King costs 380 points, the Dread Saurian is at 420 points and does about the same damage against everyone, not just Heroes and Monsters. It could easily kill the King when it gets to  attack first.

7 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

So he killed something more then his points, in one round? That's far above the average damage of any model. 

To be fair a 220pt Verminlord Corrupter with Sword of Judgment will make mincemeat out of any hero or monster he fights.

Has there been any thoughts of "subfactions" like stormhosts or dok temples? It seems a lot of new armies, other than the more singular night haunt, have those. Even many "Mega Battalions" are basically subfactions in disguise.

Or would a bretonnia-esque faction be much more homogeneous? I was actually surprised they managed to squeeze 3 playable factions in Total War.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:44 AM, SpiritofHokuto said:

The Sons of Breton are going to be reworked into an allegiance exclusive endless spell. Therefore that ability will be removed from the Blessed Lake. The Lake's improvement of Protection of the Spirits does key off models not units. Although with the changes to auras we may just extend the range a bit and specify units wholly within.

İn case this decision about Sons of Breton has not changed, I don't think they being an endless spell would work. Malign Sorcery book is quite clear about only "Predatory Spells" being able to move, and also both sides being able to move any "Predatory Spells." Either you'd have to go the "these are unique" way and not care about those rules, or they would be better as just summons.

Maybe their summoning could make use of the favor token system somehow?

Edited by Zeroken

13 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

So he killed something more then his points, in one round? That's far above the average damage of any model. 

Then that applies to the Dread Saurian as well.

I just finished some calculations:

The Dread Saurian has a chance of 23.056 % to kill the King in one round when he attacks first.

Vice versa the King has a chance of 23.102 % to kill the Dread Saurian in one round  when he attacks first.

So both have about the same chance to insta-kill each other and are about equal in points. So I really don't see a problem. I just had luck in this case as my chance was only about 23%.

I think my calculations are correct as I studied mathematics.

I just want something that is balanced. I would like to be able to win some games, but I have no need to be top tier with this army! It's all about just not sucking and effectively playing with a hcp, basically having lost before we even start. Using the GW battletome sucks major league bum hole!

Edited by Cayseymax

52 minutes ago, Lord Bretonnia said:

Hey guys...

When can we expect an update?

Its been a long time and a lot have changed in AOS.

Just any news really. We are kind of getting a little anxious... ?

Cheers

UPDATE

Ok I know its been a while but, of course, the first thing to suffer when life takes some turns is your hobbies, and it breaks my heart, and lately for a while now, various members of our team have been going through some  changes and events in our lives though we have been managing. But no worries this project is not going down. On the contrary, thanks to the diligent work of every one of the members on the team, we are making progress regardless of whats going on, albeit slowly. 

We may have been slow lately but when the launch of AoS 2 came out we held off on things to be sure of what our next moves and changes were going to be. Though we finally made some strides and we are finalizing some of the rules and warscrolls to prepare for a major update.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, kenshin620 said:

Has there been any thoughts of "subfactions" like stormhosts or dok temples? It seems a lot of new armies, other than the more singular night haunt, have those. Even many "Mega Battalions" are basically subfactions in disguise.

Or would a bretonnia-esque faction be much more homogeneous? I was actually surprised they managed to squeeze 3 playable factions in Total War.

Ok so we honestly had not considered this before but we discussed this and we feel that fluff-wise, there is really no way to make any subfactions. All possible divisions of any potential factions, would have basically the same or similar roster across the board. Nothing too interesting. We did have an Idea for a faction of bretonia but in the state we are in, it is not possible and the next quote I address is also something that limits us. So the best we can do is having the various Orders represented by Battalions. I believe I posted here in an earlier post, fluff and that included fluff about the orders of Bretonnia. They are all different and unique thanks to our lovely fluff-guy. (If you guys want me to repost the fluff, let me know)

On 6/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, Zeroken said:

*I'm wondering what size a model you thought for The Great White Hart?

For this model and any and all units we come up with, we consider the ease at which it is to obtain a model of said unit. If it is easy enough to obtain, we go for it but if its too difficult for an average guy to come up with the model then we will hold off from it. Equally though we consider what people may have already built. If something was made by the majority of the community of bret players then We strongly consider it.

I do have a possible idea, post-tome completion, which will have a couple fun extra units that did not make it into the tome but were good enough that we think can be used for play and put them in a mini compendium of sorts for you guys.

Anywho I hope I have addressed most of the questions here other than rules. What I can say regarding rules is that we take the rules seriously, and our constant question in our minds and actually brought to challange is "Is this balanced?" we think about this all the time. So just as a reassurance and as a thank you to all of you who discuss the rules, It is very much appreciated. 

I look forward to posting our updated draft and see what you guys think... If you have any questions go right ahead and ask! If you want to contact me privately for any reason, don't be afraid, I don't bite! Message me whenever and I will get back to you ASAP!

Cheers,

Henin

PS. Here is a little example of the model for The Great White Hart. INCOMPLETE entirely and very unimpressive but its something and the plans for it are beautiful. (no grand antlers yet so its a doe at the moment I guess :P )

IMG_20180914_185758.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, Lord Bretonnia said:

This is GREAT news! Thanks a lot!

Is there any time-frame for your next release? Any indications would be great!

Again thanks

Cheers

As of right now, we are unsure of when we will have the next set of rules up. We have been working hard to put it together so that it works well in the new AoS2. We have made various play tests and some more tweaks yet to come but we should have it out very soon. Also, if not with the new version, there will be some nice developments on the full tome soon! If the stars align perfectly ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JackStreicher said:

Well what I heard so far from two people: I won‘t play against this Battletome anymore, it‘s an overpowered wishlisting BT.

Though there wasn‘t much constructive feedback

well...

Are you saying that you agree to their feedback, that its an overpowered wishlist battletome?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, Lord Bretonnia said:

Hi design team

Any news on the ETA of the battletome?

Cheers

We are currently looking at the end of next week will be the next update. I will post it here as soon as the WIP is ready!  There was a lot to change and update with many things to consider. 

• 2 weeks later...

And so with a lot of hard work and new help, the team has put together a much more polished set of rules. I wanted to get some more things together but I have had my hands full with a lot of stuff. 

Anywho, i am really happy with the results of this version as there was a lot of further testing and analysis done for this that we have expanded upon since the last version. I do hope you enjoy this one. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0xfynmsdr8ngc2/Breton Battletome 0.6.pdf?dl=0

Comments are appreciated as always and please do share your tests and games with this!

Edited by henin
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Hello Noble Knights.

As you know, we cannot use Azyr or Warscroll Builder to build our Breton lists. Which means we need a new tool.

I present to you: Breton Army List Helper!

That is to say, my computer skill level prevents me from coding a unique tool, so this is just an Excell file, but it should still prove useful. 

You can prepare and save up to four army lists with it. (Just copy the file if you want to save more.) An example arrmy is included in the file to show you how a saved army looks like. You can change it of course. Any cells you are not supposed to change have been locked to prevent accidents, but they can be unlocked without a password or anything.

For any suggestions, criticisms, questions or such, please pm me. Let's not bloat this topic. Unless you want public opinion of course.

e.g: The file is easily updatable since it relies on functions. I plan on updating it for any new batteltome versions. For the foreseeable future at least. 

For the Lady!

Breton Army List Helper 0.6.xlsx

Breton Army List Helper Usage.txt

Edited by Zeroken
  • Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 5:56 AM, Zeroken said:

Hello Noble Knights.

As you know, we cannot use Azyr or Warscroll Builder to build our Breton lists. Which means we need a new tool....

Breton Army List Helper 0.6.xlsx

Breton Army List Helper Usage.txt

Thank you very much for your work with this!

Also, for anybody who might be having issues with dropbox (as I seem to be having myself lately for some reason) I have also made a Drive link as an alternative. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMGcIhYmScjNXzD7QZdZFzeiD3Pt-F0d/view?usp=sharing

Cheers!

-Henin

• Like 1