Bretonnia Battletome Project

henin

Unofficial Bretonnian Battletome  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would a full unofficial Bretonnian Battletome for AoS interest you?

• Yes! I have something to offer for this project so i will notify you!
    • Yes! I would love to see this and really hope it gets done!
    • Sure, hope it happens.
    • Nah, too complicated...
    • No I am fine with things as they are.
    • NO! DEATH TO THE LADY!

8 minutes ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

16) Honestly I think it already does that xD Regardless of this trait, so I would just pick it :)

Still an item that straight up gives an extra casting attempt is just too strong.

18) Wait, I thought that was only for the Paladin? The Paladin on foot is great as he is! With the chance to do mortal wounds, and buffing peasants. The Paladin on Horse on the other hand costs 100 points and is kinda mediocre. Giving him a trait (or giving him the free item as a trait, meaning that he will get a trait but cannot pick another item) would seem fair. 

The Paladin on foot allows Peasantry units within 8" to re-roll save rolls of 1.

The Paladin BSB gives +1 Bravery to all units within 12" (+2 to Peasantry units).

26) That could work too. And that way they could retain their stakes and not lose it against the first target. Though perhaps against monster units this charge penalty could be increased to -3" ? That would seem fair and would make sense, as the stakes were mostly for keeping cavalry away. 

I think losing them after being charged is fine. Perhaps having extra damage vs Monsters/Behemoths/units with movement 10+"?

29) That would work too, with the effect being that they'd have to within 12" of one unit of the battalion. Though seeing as it is only one model, perhaps  the range could be shortened to 6", but the effect could stack for nearby units from the battalion?

Yeah shortening the range to 6" sounds like a reasonable compromise.

And happy to help :)

16) In that case, perhaps the Lake could instead increase the spellcasting to +2 while they are within 12" of it? The Damsels don't have any other way to increase their spell casting rolls, which they will need against many strong anti spellcasting factions

18) Well that is indeed a good point. Nevertheless I would still love for a option that would make it easier for Standard bearers to gain an item. Perhaps we could give the option? Either A) the army would gain exceptional steeds like in the description, or B) Your army could gain a standard item for free, but you may then only take one Standard item total.

26) That was actually what I meant. Until they are at least charged once the effect will remain. But once they are in combat (after they have been charged) they will lose the effect. However, if they succeed in the charge they will suffer D3 mortal wounds.

And personally I would change that to Monsters/Behemoths suffering more from these effects: They would suffer a -3 on the charge roll, and once they succeed at the charge roll they would suffer D6 mortal wounds. But the effect of the stakes would be lost afterwards. 

29) Yup, seeing as you only have a 4+ chance on a dice roll to make them lose an additional model, this would seem fair. Against normal enemy fodder units this would not be as impressive. But against more elite units this could be very good if you roll well enough. 

Also about the Protection of the Spirits: Perhaps the Peasantry units could also receive this boon, but only if they are within 6" of a DAMSEL HERO? That would sound like a fair compensation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and about 26) I agree that all units with a movement of 10+ also should suffer this penalty, as the stakes are meant to be used against mounted units.

However, perhaps we could instead change this so that it affects all enemy Monsters/Behemoths and mounted units? Giving those units a -3 on charge rolls and D6 mortal wounds if they succeed, instead of the -2 on charge rolls and D3 mortal wounds if they succeed that all other units receive. 

The Peasant Archers could put these up in the Hero phase, and it would then be a viable ability, even if they lose its effect when successfully charged once. 

Also, perhaps in addition to options A) and B) for 18) (which was either exceptional steeds or the banner), perhaps we could have a option C) which grants your Damsels access to the “Sons of Bretonnia” spell. Basically it is a reworked version of Foot of Gork (D6 mortal wounds, roll a dice, if 4+ roll again etc: each roll deals an additional D6 mortal wounds). But with some extra lore: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia With the Damsel summoning the magical Knights of the Lady as they come crashing down upon Bretonnian’s foes.

However, this spell may only target enemies within 18” of a blessed lake. The Damsel must cast this spell on a 10+ cast. However, when casting each Peasantry unit within your army may pray. On a 3+ they grant the Damsel a +1 on the spellcast for this spell.

These 3 options give situational benefits to your army, which is in line with the other 3 minor or situational boons.

Edited by Nielspeterdejong

Also Legions of Nagash came out, and the Allegiance traits are amazing! Moreover, I noticed that the different undead Allegiances have the ignore Wound and Mortal Wound on a dice roll of 6+, along with several other traits. So I don't think we will have to worry about that too much :) If we take the 4 suggested options, then it would be more then fair. Heck, I think we could even add that Nobility units would receive the 6+ ignore Wound/Mortal Wound in the Hero/Shooting phase in all conditions, and that Peasanttry untis would only receive that while within 6" of a Nobility Hero. And that All Bretonnian units may receive this boon in all phases as long as they are within 6" of a Damsel Hero, to simulate the "to the defense of the Lady" theme :)

That would provide the following 4 Allegiance Traits: 

1) Protection of the Spirits: The Gheists protect all Bretonnians, but those of Heroic and Noble characters are exceptionally strong. Nobility units may ignore Wounds and Mortal wounds on a dice roll of 6 or higher per wound in the Hero and Shooting phases. Peasantry units may receive this boon while within 6" of a Nobility Hero. All Breton units within 10" of a Damsel Hero may receive this boon in all phases.

2) The Lady Wills it! (stays the same)

3) The Lady's Favor (stays the same)

4) Choose one boon out of 3 options: A) Gain Exceptional Steeds, B ) Gain one free Banner item for a Paladin on Horse (however you may then only choose one banner total), or finally C) Your Damsels may know the "Sons of Bretonnia" spell. Like I said, this spell is a reworked version of Foot of Gork (D6 mortal wounds, roll a dice, if 4+ roll again etc: each roll deals an additional D6 mortal wounds). But with some extra lore: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia With the Damsel summoning the magical Knights of the Lady as they come crashing down upon Bretonnian’s foes. This spell may only target enemies within 18” of a blessed lake. The Damsel must cast this spell on a 10+ cast. However, when casting each Peasantry unit within your army may pray. On a 3+ they grant the Damsel a +1 on the spellcast for this spell. However, if the Damsel fails casting the spell she will suffer D3 Mortal Wounds due to the backlash. This means that the 3th option is dependent on either the suggested additional effect for Nature's Wrath (turning a Terrain into a Blessed Lake) and if you put points into fielding a Blessed lake. 

Perhaps option C) Could also provide your army with a free Lake? However, the downside is that you may only choose one Lake, so you can't choose to spend points into purchasing additional Blessed Lakes. Letting option A) improve some of your Heroes their mobility, option B ) give you a free Item with a restriction, and option C) give you a Blessed Lake with the downside that you may only field one, and also a spell which you can then only cast from a Blessed Lake. This may seem powerful, but keep in mind that enemy players can then evade the Blessed Lake and the "Sons of Bretonnia" spell. Personally I think this would be both cool and fair :)

Also Mortach of Sacrement only costs 70 points, and gives 2+ Necromancers and Arkhan the black +1 spell cast per turn, and all units a +1 on save rolls.  Keeping that in mind, how about we give some more love to the Bretonnian battalions?

Perhaps you could add two more battalions: *One that is a copy of the Lords of Sacrement but with the Enchantress and Damsels instead of Arkhan and Necromancers. The conduit can then be a Battle Pilgrims unit with the grail relecue, as they are the remains of a exceptional champion (One of the Original Grail Knights?) Or a special Grail Knights unit which consist of Ancient and exceptional powerful Grail Knights. Maybe referred to as Grail Guardians?

*The second one could be a more martial battalion, featuring the Bretonnian King/King Louen Leoncouer. 

Also we talked it over, and we like how Battletrait 4 could give you a blessed lake. These would be our suggested battletraits:

1) Protection of the Spirits: The Gheists protect all Bretonnians, but those of Heroic and Noble characters are exceptionally strong. Nobility units may ignore Wounds and Mortal wounds on a dice roll of 6 or higher per wound in the Hero and Shooting phases. Peasantry units may receive this boon while within 6" of a Nobility Hero. All Breton units within 10" of a Damsel Hero may receive this boon in all phases.

4) Choose one boon out of 3 options: A) Gain Exceptional Steeds, B ) Gain one free Banner item for a Paladin on Horse (however you may then only choose one banner total), or finally C) One Damsel Hero may know the "Sons of Bretonnia" spell. This spell is a reworked version of Foot of Gork (D6 mortal wounds, roll a dice, if 4+ roll again etc: each roll deals an additional D6 mortal wounds). But with some extra lore: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia With the Damsel summoning the magical Knights of the Lady as they come crashing down upon Bretonnian’s foes. This spell may only target enemies within 18” of a blessed lake. The Damsel must cast this spell on a 10+ cast. However, when casting each Peasantry unit within your army may pray. On a 3+ they grant the Damsel a +1 on the spellcast for this spell. But if the Damsel fails casting the spell she will suffer D3 Mortal Wounds due to the backlash. In addition your Army receives a Blessed Lake for free, but may only have one.

Battle trait 4 could have one of 3 themes: 1) This armies mounts are of legendary breed, 2) This Army fields a Sacred and blessed banner, and 3) This army could have a exceptionally powerful Damsel who excels at turning once tainted (by either Chaos or Death) lands back into tranquil scenery. Even planting a blessed lake on the spot. The “Sons of Bretonnia” spell is a nice bonus, as it is restricted to being cast from a Blessed lake, and you may only field 1 with this option. This means that your Blessed Lake gains a form of area control, but only if you succeed at keeping your unique Damsel safe and if you field enough peasants to be able to pull that cast off.

Thoughts?

We could call the 4th Battletrait: “Finest of Bretonnia”, which lets you choose one of 3 options for which Bretonnia is known: It’s mounted Warriors, it’s courage and faith (banner of the Lady), and it’s magical damsels (and their male counterpart, the Sons of Bretonnia which can be summoned through a spell).

giving you 4 Battletraits like the Legions of Nagash :)

Also seeing as you now have a Batallion that provides each Wizard Hero with an additional spell being able to be cast per turn, would you reconsider my suggestion for the "Prayer Icon of Quenelles", and allowing it to let you cast an additional spell per turn? 

Even with all of my current suggestions they would still not be up to par with the Legions of Nagash, but good enough to put up a fight :)

Also this is just a silly Lore idea, but how about we add some new relations with the Aelfs? In the Old World, their Lady was a Elven Goddess after all, so perhaps she and the Bretonnians could have made peace and she became their patron again?

I've been playing a lot of Zelda lately, and to me the Hylians always felt like Half Elves, as they were pretty much humans with similar limited lifespans but with more grace. Perhaps we could add to your lore for Bretonnia that the reason their realms have been able to thrive and evade the Chaos invasions was thanks to the magical mist of the Lady, and the magic of several Aelfs? We could add that many Aelfs, High Elves/Wood Elves/Dark Elves, had joined the Bretonnians as they were a dying breed and the Lady promised them that she would make sure their future was safeguarded. In the newly more magically realms the Elves could then be immortal, aiding their human brethren and sisters (even the Dark Elves, who would no longer be sadistic but now more seductive. Yet despite wanting Bretonnia to succeed as it benefits them, they would still hold many of their guile and practice, even if they do it in secret).

These elves would have been blessed with greater fertility as well, increasing their numbers. However they would then also be fertile enough to breed with the human Bretonnians. Those born from such a union would no longer have their Aelven parents immortality (aside from the "Fabled ones", I will get to that in a bit), but they would maintain their Elven grace and beauty and some of their magical affinity (that doesn't mean that every one of them can cast magic though, similar to standard Aelfs), while gaining the Bretonnian humans their fertility along with their ingenuity and endurance. 

Bretonnians as a whole would also be more like how they would like to have envisioned themselves in the Oldworld: Less ugly and inbred, and being more attractive. Those that perform deeds of greatness or are meant for it can become "Fabled ones", who are immortal (yet can be killed by the Sword and natural disasters). This is inspired by the Fables Comic book, which only makes sense as Age of Sigmar is a very High Fantasy setting. With the Bretonnians their realms being more idealistic, yet still also very strict and often harsh as it is still medieval times (often they have to). But with laws that protect it's citizens more, and with magic that can discern misconduit and makes sure Nobles will be less likely to torment poor Peasants. However, there are still ways to work around that due to guile, and although most Dark elves perform horrid deeds for the greater good (sometimes actually necesarry), there will still be those that fall to Darkness. As such there are still villians and danger within Bretonnia, which calls for the need of Heroes, which are a plenty in new Bretonnia as well.

Perhaps the name of the Bretonnian realms could be New Bretonnia? Or a similar name?

Just tossing some lore ideas out there :) I like the idea of the Bretonnian realms being more High Fantasy, with areas where the population looks like Hylians (Half Aelfs), and others being more harsh, yet overall being not as depressing or dirty as the original Bretonnia (they went a bit too far with the Dark Fantasy story there, making the Peasants horrible ugly inbreds. So I would love to see a more idealistic Bretonnia xD).

This would also make more sense with their Elven allies in the Battalion. And we could then make them allies with all Aelfs (and yes, even Dark elves, as those could represent the more seductive members of Bretonnia society, making it less ideal. However, it would also make it more interesting, as the Dark elves are not "evil" here, but do things for their own people's future. They no longer follow Morathi, and see Bretonnians prosperity as benefitting their own. They still have sacrifices to Khaine though, either from criminals or citizens, which would arrise the need of Bretonnian heroes to stop them. With the Dark elves working their way around the courts, and doing what is necessary for their own benefit, or doing the ugly things necessary to protect Bretonnia. Perhaps similar to Khaine, they could be worshipping a aspect of Slaanesh and also give her a different name? Meaning that both the Lady with her magic of life, but also the worship and sacrifices that aspect have given the Bretonnians their overall increased fertility). 

How does this all sound? :)

Oh, and about the Lady's Favor: Perhaps we could make it so that a unit may either reroll ALL failed Hit, or ALL failed Save rolls? You only have a limited number of Favor tokens after one (one per each of your Hero units), and you need to slay enemy Hero or Monster units to gain new ones. 

However, in return you must now state before the action which it improves for that single unit (like right before Hit, Charge, or Save rolls) that you will use a Favor token for it. You can no longer choose to spend a Favor Token to improve already rolled results. 

Also I would keep option 6 (May and must retreat and Charge in the same turn) for all mounted units, so that Mounted Yeomen will be good and viable skirmish units. 

14 hours ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

Perhaps you could add two more battalions: *One that is a copy of the Lords of Sacrement but with the Enchantress and Damsels instead of Arkhan and Necromancers. The conduit can then be a Battle Pilgrims unit with the grail relecue, as they are the remains of a exceptional champion (One of the Original Grail Knights?) Or a special Grail Knights unit which consist of Ancient and exceptional powerful Grail Knights. Maybe referred to as Grail Guardians?

*The second one could be a more martial battalion, featuring the Bretonnian King/King Louen Leoncouer. 

Also we talked it over, and we like how Battletrait 4 could give you a blessed lake. These would be our suggested battletraits:

1) Protection of the Spirits: The Gheists protect all Bretonnians, but those of Heroic and Noble characters are exceptionally strong. Nobility units may ignore Wounds and Mortal wounds on a dice roll of 6 or higher per wound in the Hero and Shooting phases. Peasantry units may receive this boon while within 6" of a Nobility Hero. All Breton units within 10" of a Damsel Hero may receive this boon in all phases.

4) Choose one boon out of 3 options: A) Gain Exceptional Steeds, B ) Gain one free Banner item for a Paladin on Horse (however you may then only choose one banner total), or finally C) One Damsel Hero may know the "Sons of Bretonnia" spell. This spell is a reworked version of Foot of Gork (D6 mortal wounds, roll a dice, if 4+ roll again etc: each roll deals an additional D6 mortal wounds). But with some extra lore: http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia With the Damsel summoning the magical Knights of the Lady as they come crashing down upon Bretonnian’s foes. This spell may only target enemies within 18” of a blessed lake. The Damsel must cast this spell on a 10+ cast. However, when casting each Peasantry unit within your army may pray. On a 3+ they grant the Damsel a +1 on the spellcast for this spell. But if the Damsel fails casting the spell she will suffer D3 Mortal Wounds due to the backlash. In addition your Army receives a Blessed Lake for free, but may only have one.

Battle trait 4 could have one of 3 themes: 1) This armies mounts are of legendary breed, 2) This Army fields a Sacred and blessed banner, and 3) This army could have a exceptionally powerful Damsel who excels at turning once tainted (by either Chaos or Death) lands back into tranquil scenery. Even planting a blessed lake on the spot. The “Sons of Bretonnia” spell is a nice bonus, as it is restricted to being cast from a Blessed lake, and you may only field 1 with this option. This means that your Blessed Lake gains a form of area control, but only if you succeed at keeping your unique Damsel safe and if you field enough peasants to be able to pull that cast off.

Thoughts?

I would prefer not just to copy other factions abilities just because they are good. Yes its going to be difficult to not copy each other, but just copying Lords og Sacrement would be boring in my opinion. I think that each factions should have as much uniqueness as possible!

Well I didn't mean exactly the same, just that with a similar price we could create similar effects. The Mist of the Lady could create a defensive mist against ranged attacks (-1 to hit?) to those around the Enchantress, while granting additional spells per level to her and those Damsels that are part of the battalion. Just to give ideas :)

For example: For a similar price We could have a battalion called: "Devotees of the Lady". And it could provide the following benefits: 

1) Chosen of the Fey: The Enchantress, and the Damsels from this battalion within 6" of her, can cast one additional spell per turn.

2) Mist of the Lady: Enemies within 9" of the Enchantress suffer a -1 on Wound Rolls and suffer 1 mortal wound per turn, due to the chilling Mist surrounding her. 

Also, how about increasing the damage of the Silver mirror against enemy Wizards to D6 if they have the Death or Chaos keywords? 

And Sacrement of the lady: How about instead allowing it to let you reroll all cast rolls of 1 in all your Hero phases? And in addition allowing the Damsel to reroll one spellcast roll regardless of value once per turn, if they are within 6” of a Blessed Lake.

This would make them viable options when compared to the Prayer icon of Quenelles, when that item lets a Damel Hero cast one additional spell per turn. 

EDIT: Also, how about increasing the distance from Fair Tailwind from 3” to 4” for Flying units? This would allow you to use it to cycle charge with flying units, opening up a lot more strategies!

Back to my lore suggestion, I looked it up a bit more and I think my idea might actually have not been so bad (with the Bretons and Aelfs being intertwined, and due to greater fertility also creating half Aelfs): The Elven Goddess Lileath http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Lileath also known as the Lady of the Lake, send her daughter to a new realm along with several Grail Guardians as she sacrificed herself. We could add to the lore that she was reborn and then guided the Bretonnians towards the realm as well. Creating a more High Fantasy like realm and dubbing it New Bretonnia: http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Araloth This mortal realm was untouched by Chaos, and the mists could be the cause of that. The Bretonnians could then decide to involve themselves in the grand scheme again once Chaos was able to peer through the mists between the realms that hid them, so now they decided to take the fight to Chaos itself before it can fully corrupt their lands again. 

For Allies we could then add that Bretonnia can ally itself with all of the Aelfs, even Dark elves as those were also saved (with the idea being that they are now freed of Morathi, and want to make sure New Bretonnia prospers, and although they are less sadistic and more seductive, they deploy whatever means necesarry to achieve that goal. Performing necesarry taksts that many Bretonnian Nobility would be unwilling to do themselves). And perhaps also Sylvaneth, as those are spirits similar to the Gheist that now protect all Bretons. 

Thoughts?

And about Revifification: Perhaps we could change it in the following manner: Spellcast 8, the target unit heals D3 lost wounds. If the target is a Nobility unit you may also revive one lost model. If it is a Peasantry unit it may revive D3 models instead. The number of wounds healed and models revived is doubled if the targeted is within 6” of a Blessed Lake. 

This way the description is more clear, and you are rewarded for pulling back wounded units to safety near a Blessed Lake as you can restore them faster. 

I would love love to see this in addition to the changes to the Damsel items, the change to fair tailwind, the Lady’s favor changes, the change to Protection of the Spirits, and the 4th Battletrait suggestions I mentioned before. Again, these will not make them powerhouses, but they will give them a fighting chance. 

This would then be the new Allies list for Bretonnia: 

Allies: Stormcast Eternals, Sylvaneth, Collegiate Arcane, Fireslayers, and all Aelf factions (Morathi may be fielded, but will instead be named as a Dark elf character in the new Breton Lore who led her people away from her influence)

We could then have a lore where there was a Dark elf disciple of Morathi, but one who rejected her sadistic ways, and who made her followers worship the killing aspect of Khaine (she could argue that as Khaine is an aspect of Khorne, created through the worship to that aspect, their worship could be even more tame and worship the killing with a cause aspect). Morathi would instead be renamed to that character whenever playing for Bretonnia. With all possible formations and abilities that would involve her in the upcoming Daughters of Khaine would also be renamed in such a manner. 

On second though, we could keep the change to the favor that only lets Nobility units Retreat and Charge at the same time, as long as the Revivification spell resurrects D3 of Mounted Yeomen their models with my suggestion (1 resurrected for Nobility units, D3 for Peasantry units). This way it will always be more viable to resurrect Nobility models, as they can both retreat from combat and charge again, as long as you have Favor points left. Plus the Skirmishing Mounted Yeomen are often far in the field going after objectives, so it is much less likely for them to be near a Blessed Lake. Thus giving them their unique Skirmishing role.

Oh, and I would make one small change to my Favor suggestions:

1) Favor effects have to be taken right before the related dice are rolled (so the first favor has to be taken before you roll for hit with an attack), unless specified otherwise. 

2) Favor 1 and 2 now allow you to re-roll all failed Hit and Save rolls. You are now able to take Favor 3 after you rolled for a charge. Favor 4 now instead means that the target unit does not have to roll for Battleshock tests this turn. Along with that Favor 6 is now only for Nobility units (as long as the Revification resurrects D3 Mounted Yeomen). 

This due to how little Favor points you have now. 

Oh, and I hope you will consider my suggestion to the Surefooted Stalker Trait for the Woodsmen. About letting you roll a dice every time you would lose a model, provided the model is within terrain. And on a 4+ the model would not be slain. This way they could be a bit more self sufficient, seeing as they are meant to be placed on terrain (basically like the Chameleon Skinks, but much more limited, as the enemy can place his units away from terrain, or place strong melee units nearby). This way it would also make sense lorewise, as they are meant to be surefooted and able to deftly evade danger. 

As well as the change to Ambush: Which lets you set up your Woodsmen, without having to roll a dice, on top of terrain. Even in the first turn. However the Woodsmen will then be limited to terrain, which might not always be the best solution. 

I like the idea of having a more "dark side" to the new Bretonnian realms. Here the Bretonnians could have been joined by High elves, Wood elves, but also Dark elves. As the realms that the Grail Guardians were send to were unique elven realms. The Bretonnians could have been saved by the Lady of the Lake afterwards, thus making it mostly Bretonnian. 

We could add some lore that the Dark elves there are refugees from Moriathi, who know that Moriathi is lying about Khaine: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/02/19/daughters-khaine-part-1-daughters-khainegw-homepage-post-3/ as all the power that her normal worshippers send to Khaine, is actually send to her. They could then have been accepted in the new realms, in exchange for becoming more moderate and less sadistic. They would still worship Khaine in secret though, but their motivations would be to make sure Bretonnia thrives from the shadows, as many of their kin are now Half Elves as well. This way we could field Daughters of Khaine units alongside Bretonnia, however Moriathi her model could be renamed into another Legendary hero (the one bringing them there, a old disciple of Morathi), with all daughters of Khaine allegiance features referring to Moriathi refering to her now instead. 

Just as an example, that would make their more even more interesting :)

Well the Lady doesn't eat kids, but she DID turn them into magical Water Knights called "Sons of Bretonnia": http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia 

That is why I suggested, provided you take option 3 which gives you a Blessed Lake on your side of the map, also allowing you to cast a spell from that lake against targets within 18" of it. Similar to how the Lady of the Lake summoned the Sons of Bretonnia to help out King Louen Leoncoeur during his ascension to Grail Knight:  http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Louen_Leoncoeur#Ascension_to_Grail_Knight

But yes, that was also my suggestion :) To have the Bretonnians go to a Elven made Realm where they can be more like how they always envisioned themselves (no more inbred peasants, but good looking ones. Though still "filthy"). However, their dark side would now be the Dark elves, who aren't as bad as Morathi, but who still distanced themselves from the mindless cruelty. And instead revel in the necessary bloodshed and seduction. Making sure Bretonnia succeeds, as the humans there are a great source of sacrifices and rituals for lust. Plus they need the humans in case Morathi comes back. We could just make it all Aelf factions as potential allies, and you just have to state that she is in disguise or something.

Basically having the Bretonnians, yet also the Wanderers who are allies along with the Sylvaneth. But also the High elves and "reformed" Dark Elves. With the background lore being that they created half elves as well, basically Hyhlians if you would. We could be very flexible with that, as Age of Sigmar is very High Fantasy after all.

On 9/2/2017 at 12:43 PM, henin said:

UPDATE: 

Here is a piece of the fluff that has been written by redcrossknight for this new take on the Breton forces in the AOS setting as we continue to work hard to get this together. Hope you guys enjoy, its been a long process but it is heading in the right direction, I would like to think.

Age of Myth

So it was that the shattered fragments of an entity that was once a goddess to both man and Aelf slowly reformed amidst the void left from a great cataclysm. Yet, when these tattered remnants finally coalesced, it was the aspect of the goddess of a human warrior race that stood powerful and ready to walk the realms once more. Of her other form, that of the Aelf maiden of moon and stars, nothing was seen. This reborn deity assumed the title of Lady of Fates, for there could be no other, and she set forth in search of the one being that could help her rebuild all that she had lost. The Lady of Fates journeyed long and far, her prescience and innate connection with the strands of destiny guiding her ever onwards towards her goal. During her travels, the Lady made two significant discoveries. The first was that the greatest, most willful spirits of those warriors who once worshipped her, had survived the destruction of their world and remained in the Ether, preserved from the machinations of Chaos and other beings thanks to their purity and strength. Shortly thereafter, the Lady came across a small, pocket realm, no more than a single world that radiated with innocence and purity. Indeed, it was a miracle that it had survived from the predation of the hungry gods of Chaos at all, and the Lady sensed the traces of her lost warrior people around it. Though she knew not why, the Lady felt protective of the world, like the instinct of a mother who has come across a long-lost child. As such, she took it upon herself to defend this tiny realm, which she named Avelone, from all who would harm it and bound it to her person with great magics that would hide it from the predatory eyes.

Finally, after an immeasurable amount of time, the Lady of Fates found the being she sought: Sigmar, the God King of Mankind. Thus, she came unto Sigmar, regally cloaked in her reborn power, and offered him her aid in his quest to rebuild the lost lands and reunite those beings that remained in a Grand Alliance against Chaos. The Lady comforted Sigmar in his dark hours and lent him her great wisdom and powers of foresight. Together, the two came to agreement that would come to be known as the Fateful Pact. In return for her allegiance and support, Sigmar granted the Lady of Fates exclusive access to the spirits of her lost warrior race. Furthermore, he offered her a degree of autonomy, so that she might found her own kingdoms of men within his great vision of unified realms. In return, the Lady served as Sigmar’s foremost councilor and vowed that the armies of her followers would always fight on behalf of his great vision. The Lady of Fates meticulously upheld her half of the bargain, bar one thing: She kept from Sigmar the pocket world of Avelone, for fear that Sigmar would factor it into his sweeping visions if he were to discover its existence. Bar this one secret, the Lady of Fates proved a trusted and loyal counselor to the God King. She warned Sigmar that Alarielle would ultimately forsake his alliance to defend her own realm, firmly reinforcing her separation from that part of her that was an Aelf goddess of old. The Lady also repeatedly counseled that Sigmar should destroy Nagash before he betrayed everything that the God King was working so hard to create. Though Sigmar chose not to act on her wise words, the Lady and Nagash remained deeply at odds with one another, their hatred still smoldering with the fires of aggression from a different time and place, yet neither came openly to blows while under Sigmar’s watchful gaze.

When not engaged in the tangled web of loyalties that kept Simgar’s Grand Alliance together, the Lady was meticulously rebuilding a culture long dead. Soon, the people of Breton flourished across the realms alongside the other great kingdoms of mortals. The Lady of Fates then assumed her second title, the Eternal Queen, for given her strength, wisdom, and glory; no other could have ruled the proud Bretons. From among these noble people, the Lady began to raise armies of brave knights and loyal peasantry to march forth in service of the Grand Alliance. From among the greatest of her new subjects, the Lady carefully selected those that would receive the honor of becoming the first Host Knights. Using magic gleaned from Sigmar and the knowledge of the gods of the Grand Alliance, the Lady of Fates drew the proud geists of great heroes of the lost lands from the Ether and bound their spirits to these most worthy knights. These bonded warriors proved stronger and more powerful than any normal man and though they were few in number, such was their strength and skill that they soon formed the legendary elite of the Lady’s armies. Indeed, their reputation for greatness quickly spread across the entirety of the Grand Alliance. So it was that for a time Breton society flourished and the Eternal Queen felt at peace. Avelone was protected, the brave warriors of her lost kingdom were reborn anew, and all seemed well across the Realms. But in the void, the Dark Gods that ever hungered to destroy all that was noble and good gathered their forces about them and laughed at the folly of those who thought that peace could ever be a constant.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:11 AM, henin said:

UPDATE:

I would like to present the first rules draft of the battletome. It took a lot of time to get the rules together but we finally have a draft together that is much more representative of the final rules we are going with. This is just an Alpha version of the rules so things may change of course as well as the names of the units will not all be the same. It is all within reason though and I hope in the end you will all enjoy what we are working on. 

anyway! Click on the link for the rules and if you have any questions or comments please share your thoughts!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NLkIJ1DqqgEziTu6AkN9-ZO5wWkGYZvR

Also, I am providing some of the fluff for each of the Breton Orders in this other document if you care to take a read. All by the incredible Redcrossknight who is breathing life into the lore that has blossomed. I do hope you enjoy the mysterious new fun fan content we have been so lovingly been working on!

Link here as well: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yKtIYnsdblGQljub-Eouwguc8akOFmSJ

If you do end up using these rules I would love to hear about it! Share your thoughts and how the event went down! I hope you all have fun with this as this is the intention!

Anywho, I would like to add that I am still on the lookout for beautiful models and such to showcase in the book. I don't have any at the moment and still searching. I find many beautiful and fitting images on this site but none able to contact me on sending me a full size image of the photograph for their models or adjustments and such. If you have any i'm still looking! 

Cheers!

-Henin

4 hours ago, Nielspeterdejong said:

Well the Lady doesn't eat kids, but she DID turn them into magical Water Knights called "Sons of Bretonnia": http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Sons_of_Bretonnia 

Basically having the Bretonnians, yet also the Wanderers who are allies along with the Sylvaneth. But also the High elves and "reformed" Dark Elves. With the background lore being that they created half elves as well, basically Hyhlians if you would. We could be very flexible with that, as Age of Sigmar is very High Fantasy after all.

First of all I want to say thank you for so much of your comments and time you've been giving to this project. All help is greatly appreciated! We have been very lagged recently because of my own issues with life but the project moves on and thanks to the groups' dedication and all support, we have still managed to come very close to finalizing a Beta draft of the rules. There are a lot of things coming!

Also, thank you for those fluff ideas, most significantly the sons of bretonnia. It is an idea that has sparked a bit of conversation among us so we will see what we decide in the end based on all factors of fluff and rules.

Also, I quoted here my comments regarding written fluff and links to fluff on the orders that seemed to have been lost in the forum logs. In case anyone wants to go back and read them, they are here. We do address the current fluff on the lady in the new setting as well as where the brets take residence. (Which is precisely in floating citadels across the realms!) as well as what happened to the pocket realm the lady created.

We are open to all feedback regarding every part of this so please let us know what you think on the fluff since it seems that our mystic knights are now getting more comfortable in their new residence of AOS :P 

until the next update,

Cheers!

OH! Also forgot to mention! Here is the new (CORRECT) current names for the unit lists of the army! More on their fluff soon to come! As well as some sneak peeks to what we are planning. (Also a couple minor rules clarifications on a couple units)

-Host King of Breton (King Louen) (No longer unique, but only 1)
-Morrigna (The Fay Enchantress, now as one of three "coven sisters") (No longer unique but max 3)
-The Green Knight (same) (unique and only 1)
-Marshal on Pegasus
-Marshal on Warhorse
-Marshal on Demi-Gryph
-Paladin 
-Paladin Standard Bearer
-Handmaiden of the Lady (Damsel)
-Knights Unproven (knights Errant)
-Host Knights (Knights of the Realm)
-Unbound Knights (Questing Knights)
-The Returned (Grail Knights)
-Pegasus Host Knights
-Demigryph Host Knights 
-(Hippogryph Host Knights) (potential)
-Men-at-arms
-Bowman
-Battle Pilgrims
-Mounted Yeoman 
-Rangers
-(Sons of Breton) (potential)
-(The Great White Hart) (potential)
-(Hounds of Breton) (potential)

Edited by henin
  • Like 1

You are most welcome :) However, with all the (very fun!) new strong factions coming out, I once again wish to stress that you should not be too afraid to make them powerful. Remember, all the other factions are getting updates as well (such as undead), meaning that it's best to compare them to the newer factions, and not the currently weaker older ones.

In fact, we looked at the new Daughters of Khaine Allegiance traits, and realized that our 4 Bretonnian traits were basically weaker versions of theirs, and that we could even amp them up a little bit and also make them simpler. The other ideas we had in this page, and which we hope you will consider using, stay the same though:

Protection of the Spirits: The Gheist are long dead spirits of noble champions, come to aid the Bretons in their times of need. They are especially drawn to noble champions, but are willing to aid the peasantry through the guide of a Damsel as well. Whenever a Nobility unit suffers a Wound or Mortal Wound you may roll a dice. On a 6 or more the Wound is negated. Peasantry units may gain this boon as well provided they are within 6" of a friendly Damsel Hero

The lady Wills it!: Stays the same.

The Lady's Favor: Unless specified otherwise, you must choose to spend a Favor token before making the related rolls: 1) Reroll ALL save rolls 2) Reroll ALL hit rolls 3) You may choose to reroll failed charge rolls AFTER charging 4) The target unit does not have to roll for battle shock results this turn 6) Nobility mounted units may and must both retreat and charge in the same turn (provided you also add the change to the Revivification spell that I posted a few comments back). 

Finest of Bretonnia: You may now choose one of 3 options: 1) Exceptional Steeds:  All your mounted Heroes may gain one of the exceptional steed traits, as listed in the PDF.  2) Banner of the Lady: You may choose one Paladin Standard Bearer (you must field one in order to gain this boon), and grant it a free banner Artifact. However, you may not field any more Paladin Standard Bearers as the Banner of the Lady must shine brightest and uncontested.  3) Chosen of the Fey: One damsel in your army may be a chosen of the Fey. This Damsel may deploy a Blessed Lake in the set up phase, free of cost. However, you may not field any additional Blessed Lakes. The Chosen of the Fey Damsel knows and may cast the "Sons of Bretonnia" spell from a Blessed Lake, towards enemies within 18" of it. You may choose a standard Terrain feature, and declare that it is a Blessed Lake. 

The first Battle Trait is a weaker version of the Daughters of Khaine Battle trait, as only Nobility units are able to move independently. While Peasantry units only gain this boon if they are within a specific type of Hero, not all Heroes, making it a weaker version of the Undead Battle Trait.

Taken into account that The Lady Wills it Battle Traits only helps the Breton untis in a charge, and the Lady's Favor is only for one unit for one turn, and you only start with 1 Token per Hero that you field, as well as that Finest of Bretonnia gives you the option to choose one of 3 situational boons, this would seem fair. Keep in mind that these Battle traits are more limited, but in exchange allow for more unique options.