Bretonnia Battletome Project

henin

Unofficial Bretonnian Battletome  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Would a full unofficial Bretonnian Battletome for AoS interest you?

• Yes! I have something to offer for this project so i will notify you!
    • Yes! I would love to see this and really hope it gets done!
    • Sure, hope it happens.
    • Nah, too complicated...
    • No I am fine with things as they are.
    • NO! DEATH TO THE LADY!

I think as long as there are people willing to work on it, the project does not need to stop. I do not know how large the original team was, or how many are still onboard but there seems to be at least two people still around.

if anyone decides to continue the project, I would like to help.

C'mon knights, let's rally and push forward!

• 10 months later...

I know this is a pretty dead thread, but hopefully theres some response

I have a decent amount of expierence in game and systems design for tabletop and roleplaying games (no major ones unfortunately). Im about halfway done with a Wanderers 2.0 battletome for my personal game group, and I recently got interested in the idea of a "Forgotten Peoples" collection of mini-battletomes providing updated rules and warscrolls for TK/Brets/Wanderers/etc. With all of 2020 being what it is, keeping a project like this going would be a nice time sink for me and others. 

2 caveats about my "design beliefs" A) when designing for an existing system I try to stay as close to the actual creators intent as possible. Tweaks only wherever that is possible. and B) I would err on the side of weak for any unofficial content. It makes it a much easier sell as people will be more cautious of it regardless of actual power level.

If there is interest I would love to get some initial "must haves" for Brettonnia 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2017 at 1:44 PM, henin said:

Thank you. I feel like Bretonnia Had so much potential for new cool and original content/lore/rules unique to them but they never had a chance.

After reading some more I read that during the end times the lady had a sort of realm where she created specifically for the brets and in the apocolypse she had her daughter bring all the remaining brets to her new created realm and saved what was left of Bretonnia. I feel this is one key part in Lore that can help forge this Battletome background.

On the conversation of the King. It seems he did "die" but that is not a problem the way I see it, if we are going to try to stick with lore as best as we could. I am merely brainstorming here so other ideas and opinions are welcome. The same way TK solved the problem of "Settra is Incapacitated" issue, I think can be done for the Brets and their king. By name, it will be the "next king" or a viable replacement for the lore but the rules will be literally the same because rulewise it is still the original king. As shown here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3IzQocsfEp_WXFPbXFFVXNHVG8/view

just an Idea anyway to get things going and maybe get people enticed and understand what We might be going for this project.

Hope That I get someone to join the team soon. If I might ask someone to help me in the right direction to spread the word on the Brets main forum, where to post it there, please do!

Lorewise, the next King would be one of Louen’s grandchildren(his heir, Jasperre Le Beau, was a confirmed end times casualty, but he Likely had several children via his wife, Louen’s daughter Isabeau). The correct Heraldry for whom would be a crowned gold dragon with a quartered field of yellow over white on the < side, and on the > side red over blue(or crowned gold dragon over a split yellow and red field). There is no mention of Jasperre having children, but the possibility of that is a viable story to go into.

also, while the first Lilleath did die, she did so after having granted 95% of her power(guessing, i know it was most of her power) to her daughter and naming her the new Lilleath. The current lady of the lake is now running her own realm as part of a trinity of deities(her, Gilles, and Louen). Additionally, there are a lot of lore friendly opportunities for new units in the realm of dreams(Lilleath was the elven goddess of dreams and prophecy, so she was more prepared than most for end times), for example all dead grail knights were resurrected, then all grail knights were made into demigods(sort of like stormcast eternals are kinda like demigods), all questing knights were turned into new, non demideified grail knights. So the current knight rankings would be squire->errant knight->knight of the realm->questing knight->grail knight->Paladins of the lady( Last one is my idea, not a lore thing). 
you could also bring the lost sons of Bretonnia into this, as either magic cavalry or as a light cav with anti-magic properties

On 9/20/2020 at 5:25 AM, cyberhawk94 said:

I know this is a pretty dead thread, but hopefully theres some response

I have a decent amount of expierence in game and systems design for tabletop and roleplaying games (no major ones unfortunately). Im about halfway done with a Wanderers 2.0 battletome for my personal game group, and I recently got interested in the idea of a "Forgotten Peoples" collection of mini-battletomes providing updated rules and warscrolls for TK/Brets/Wanderers/etc. With all of 2020 being what it is, keeping a project like this going would be a nice time sink for me and others. 

2 caveats about my "design beliefs" A) when designing for an existing system I try to stay as close to the actual creators intent as possible. Tweaks only wherever that is possible. and B) I would err on the side of weak for any unofficial content. It makes it a much easier sell as people will be more cautious of it regardless of actual power level.

If there is interest I would love to get some initial "must haves" for Brettonnia 

The state Bretonnians were in at the end of End Times was very different from how they were before so I think a Breton faction in AOS would be unlike the Bretons we know.

Every grail knight ever turned into an immortal demigod knight protecting the pocket world, even characters such as Landuin who was known as the greatest knight back when Gilles was alive. Sons of Breton were supposed to be called forth only when they were really needed but they didn't appear in End Times, so saying they were in reserves for the future protection of the pocket realm would be decent enough explanation. The pocket world was created for elves technically and if I remember right, at the end both some elves and some bretons were brought there. And also, Lady was dead.

In short, a rational continuation of Bretons in AOS should be a new faction altogether.

But since you called them "mini-battletomes" I guess you wouldn't want to go too deep into creating new lore. I assume the goal is making Breton models function as a playable faction in AOS games. So old Breton models with new rules. If that is so then Bretons basically have three themes: Charging cavalry, chivalry and The Lady.

Three allegiance abilities built around these three would be my "must haves".

Basic ideas for three abilities:

1: When a knight hero finishes its charge move next to an enemy unit, any knight units that also end their charge moves next to the same enemy unit get bonuses.

2: Any knight hero (and maybe knight units) attacking an enemy hero or monster get bonuses.

3: All units have some defensive bonus that is lost when that unit retreats.

Bonus point: There are many foot knight models in the market and many old Breton players got some, so rules for foot knights would be a "near-must-have".

Edited by Zeroken
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2017 at 10:04 AM, DWCScubaSteve said:

It’s good to see there is an interest in keeping Bretonnia alive.  Having a large force of them sitting at home, I too would love to see this develop.

Sadly, due to time constraints, I have been unable to continue my own background story for why my Knights exist.  But I thought I would share them.  Just in the off chance you can use even a piece of it.

So…

Brief History

Gilles survived the fall of the old world and now rides through the mortal realms seeking out those who have survived Chaos and teaching them of the return of Sigmar.  Whenever enough survivors are banded together, he bestows to them a magical Grail, said to contain powerful and ancient magic.  In essence, they are relics of the old world.

These Grails are used by Enchantresses to cast magical spells or to bestow the blessings of Sigmar on their chosen warriors.

Belief System

Bretonnians (May replace name), are devoted followers of Sigmar.  They see him as the true god of humanity. 

They view the realm of Azyr as a Viking would Valhalla, believing that through devoting their lives to Sigmars fight, they will upon death be rewarded by becoming one of Sigmars Eternal Warriors where they will serve him once more until the end of time.

Knights of the Grail Wardens (Grail Knights).

The Grails bestowed upon the Bretonnians, are used in a drinking ceremonies, where warriors who have proven themselves worthy of remembrance, drink from the Grail and devote their life and soul to Sigmar.  Once a Knight has partaken in the Ceremony, he becomes a Knight of the Grail Wardens, protectors of the realms of man and sworn enemy to Chaos. 

I know it’s not a huge amount to go on, and it does stray from the ways of the old Bretonnians, but it could come in use. 

My vision of the Bretonnians is a mobile crusading force who live in vast tents and constantly stay on the move.

Im sorry, but no. gilles would never turn from the faith of the lady(even if that mantle passed from mother to daughter.) nor would louen. According to the lore, both of them were able to secure the entrance into Lilleath’s realm of dreams behind them. And before you go on about Lilleath being dead, yes she is, but before she even went into the last battle, she passed all her godly powers to her daughter who took her name as well. So the god power of lilleath was not in her when she died. Both Gilles and Louen ascended to godhood as well, so the most either might do is acknowledge sigmar as a god, not as their god

• Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 10:02 AM, Beregond said:

Zeroken I really like your second example with having regional or racial differences between the horses. I would just be careful adding more abilities without increasing the point cost, which I am hoping would be avoided. How about the traits come with both a bonus to some stats and a penalty to others? For example a sturdier breed could have +1 save and -2 move or what do I know.

If they were not balanced this way, then I would only have these traits for the mounts for heroes. Though I do admit that the whole story is way cooler if it is applied across the board.

I would be afraid of the tome becoming too unbalanced for my mates to care to accept me using it, if the updates or additions going forward are not balanced. 

Given that the current point cost of Bretonnian cavalry is already expensive compared to free people cavalry despite having equal stats, these horse breed traits would bring balance, not throw it off balance 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 9:16 PM, Mwatts25 said:

Given that the current point cost of Bretonnian cavalry is already expensive compared to free people cavalry despite having equal stats, these horse breed traits would bring balance, not throw it off balance 

? As far as I can tell they are the exact same cost per model and Bretonnian is slightly better with its 3+ to hit, but only getting the better save on the charge. (Free Peoples cav are 140 per 5 models, Bretons are 220 per 8 models)

1 hour ago, cyberhawk94 said:

? As far as I can tell they are the exact same cost per model and Bretonnian is slightly better with its 3+ to hit, but only getting the better save on the charge. (Free Peoples cav are 140 per 5 models, Bretons are 220 per 8 models)

First, which specific units are you comparing? I base my statement off of the knights of the realm and the drakespawn knights from cities of sigmar. Their stats are similar, with the slight stat and point value leaning to the drakespawn, both are heavy cavalry without ranged, both hit on a 3+, both wound on a 4+, both deal 1 damage per attack, but drakespawn have rend -1, their mounts hit on a 3+ versus the brets 4+, and they cost 130 per 5, or 26 points per unit versus the 220 per 8, or 27.5 per unit. All bret skills only work during a charge, so they only affect first round of each combat they initiate. Drakespawn beat them in matched points

also, drakespawn have higher bravery and a better save

Edited by Mwatts25

Working on some ideas for a mini-battletome. Keep in mind with this, I am not a writer, just a amateur game designer, so instead of trying to write new lore and incorporate things like the Ascendance of the Grail Knights, I'm going with the tried and true approach of "oh look, the same society somehow evolved thousands of years later in a new universe". So this would be just making bretonnia playable in AoS with its own allegiance abilities, not writing a new army. 

That said, here are what Im working on for allegiance abilities. You all know the army better than I do, and obviously Ill be tweaking warscrolls and adding artefacts and such, but how does this look?

### Battle Traits

##### Blessing of the Lady

Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly NOBILITY model. On a 6+, that wound or mortal wound is negated. If a NOBILITY unit retreats from combat or fails a battleshock test, they cannot benefit from this rule for the rest of the game. 

##### Lance Formation

If exactly 3 models from a friendly BRETONNIA unit are within 1" of an enemy model, every model in that unit can attack with its Lance weapon, regardless of that weapon's range.

##### Peasant's Duty
Increase the Bravery characteristic of any friendly PEASANTRY unit by 2 if there is a friendly NOBILITY model within 6" of that unit. 

##### Virtues of the Chivalric Knight
At the start of your first hero phase, you can pick one of the following virtues to be emulated by your forces in this battle:

- **Confidence:** Re-roll failed hit rolls of 1 for friendly NOBILITY models if they made a charge move in the same turn.
- **Stoicism:** Friendly  NOBILITY units can re-roll failed battleshock tests.
- **Empathy:** Friendly  PEASANTRY models gain the benefit of the Blessing of the Lady battle trait.
- **Purity:** Friendly  BRETONNIA WIZARDS add 1 to unbinding and dispelling rolls. 
- **Heroism:** If the unmodified wound roll for an attack made by a friendly NOBILITY model is 6 and the target is a HERO or MONSTER, that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target in addition to any normal damage.

##### Command Ability

**Inspired Virtues:** *Visions of a past hero dance in a noble's mind, guiding him toward honorable victory.*

You can use this command ability at the start of your hero phase if your general is on the battlefield. You lose the benefits of your current virtue and choose a new one as though it was the first hero phase. 

Edited by cyberhawk94
  • Like 1

Just now, Mwatts25 said:

First, which specific units are you comparing? I base my statement off of the knights of the realm and the drakespawn knights from cities of sigmar. Their stats are similar, with the slight stat and point value leaning to the drakespawn, both are heavy cavalry without ranged, both hit on a 3+, both wound on a 4+, both deal 1 damage per attack, but drakespawn have rend -1, their mounts hit on a 3+ versus the brets 4+, and they cost 130 per 5, or 26 points per unit versus the 220 per 8, or 27.5 per unit. All bret skills only work during a charge, so they only affect first round of each combat they initiate. Drakespawn beat them in matched points

Ah that explains it. You specifically said "Free Peoples" so I grabbed the Knightly Orders warscroll because it is the only specifically Free Peoples cavalry, but it is also an outdated compendium one. Comparing to current warscrolls I see your point

5 minutes ago, cyberhawk94 said:

Working on some ideas for a mini-battletome. Keep in mind with this, I am not a writer, just a amateur game designer, so instead of trying to write new lore and incorporate things like the Ascendance of the Grail Knights, I'm going with the tried and true approach of "oh look, the same society somehow evolved thousands of years later in a new universe". So this would be just making bretonnia playable in AoS with its own allegiance abilities, not writing a new army. 

That said, here are what Im working on for allegiance abilities. You all know the army better than I do, and obviously Ill be tweaking warscrolls and adding artefacts and such, but how does this look?

### Battle Traits

##### Blessing of the Lady

Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound
or mortal wound to a friendly NOBILITY model. On a 6+,
that wound or mortal wound is negated. If a NOBILITY unit retreats from combat or fails a battleshock test, they cannot benefit from this rule for the rest of the game. 

##### Lance Formation

If exactly 3 models from a friendly BRETONNIA unit are within 1" of an enemy model, every model in that unit can attack with its Lance weapon, regardless of that weapon's range.

##### Peasant's Duty
Increase the Bravery characteristic of any friendly PEASANTRY unit by 2 if there is a friendly NOBILITY model within 6" of that unit. 

##### Virtues of the Chivalric Knight
At the start of your first hero phase, you can pick one of the following virtues to be emulated by your forces in this battle:

- **Confidence:** Re-roll failed hit rolls of 1 for friendly NOBILITY models if they made a charge move in the same turn.
- **Stoicism:** Friendly  NOBILITY units can re-roll failed battleshock tests.
- **Empathy:** Friendly  PEASANTRY models gain the benefit of the Blessing of the Lady battle trait.
- **Purity:** Friendly  BRETONNIA WIZARDS add 1 to unbinding and dispelling rolls. 
- **Heroism:** If the unmodified wound roll for an attack made by a friendly NOBILITY model is 6 and the target is a HERO or MONSTER, that attack inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target in addition to any normal damage.

##### Command Ability

**Inspired Virtues:** *Visions of a past hero dance in a noble's mind, guiding him toward honorable victory.*

You can use this command ability at the start of your hero phase if your general is on the battlefield. You lose the benefits of your current virtue and choose a new one as though it was the first hero phase. 

This is some good stuff, i like the directions your thought processes are taking this, as they match bret play style but aren’t overly broken(lance formation has slight potential of it though, perhaps something along the lines of “as long as at least 3 units in lance formation are in contact, gain +1 to hit or(not and) to wound” instead)

Just now, Mwatts25 said:

This is some good stuff, i like the directions your thought processes are taking this, as they match bret play style but aren’t overly broken(lance formation has slight potential of it though, perhaps something along the lines of “as long as at least 3 units in lance formation are in contact, gain +1 to hit or(not and) to wound” instead)

Lance Formation's potential can be mitigated by limiting the strength or size of the units that have access to it.  Based of the most recent warscrolls, the only units that even use lances are Knights of the Realm / Errant, Pegasus, and Grail Knights. So I can simply take it into account with the battleline, and limit the max size of the elite units to not be an issue.

The problem with a flat buff is a old-school 12 or 15 man lance will always do more damage going 6+ wide then any buffs I can give to 3 models, so they'd never actually be in lance formation

1 minute ago, cyberhawk94 said:

Lance Formation's potential can be mitigated by limiting the strength or size of the units that have access to it.  Based of the most recent warscrolls, the only units that even use lances are Knights of the Realm / Errant, Pegasus, and Grail Knights. So I can simply take it into account with the battleline, and limit the max size of the elite units to not be an issue.

The problem with a flat buff is a old-school 12 or 15 man lance will always do more damage going 6+ wide then any buffs I can give to 3 models, so they'd never actually be in lance formation

Im using the old terminology of lance formation, which admittedly I desperately miss from whfb, but rather than reverting to the actual lance formation utilized there(another issue that most my fellow aos players have issue with due to it “slowing down game” ) refer to it as Bretonnian cavalry training, permit the unit to do whatever width of unit, and apply the “3+ units in contact” caveat to the rule and you have a competitive but not broken cavalry unit

First Draft: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MQjHdN1xGEoM9-dhOmH

No lore blurbs for items and such yet, but warscrolls and allegiance abilities are in there. Would love feedback on balance and design in general. 

The points costs are rough estimates, I haven't actually sat down and done extensive comparisons yet. 

Units that should be fairly strong as they are iconic to the army and should be part of Brets strengths: Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights, Trebuchets, Green Knight

Units that some people might not have access to so should be on the weak side (basically just have rules for the sake of it): Yeoman, Foot Knights

The Green Knight in particular Im looking for feedback on. I had to do most of the design work from scratch as he was pointed equal to the Light of Ethalion with like a 3rd of the abilities (was basically just a Bretonnian Lord with deepstrike and ethereal but no command ability) He shouldn't hit as hard as LoE but is way more mobile, and while not as tanky can resurrect, so they might be close to equal? mobility is the hardest thing to point cost.

The other controversial decision I made was to 'cut' Knights Errant as two nearly identical battleline cavalry, especially ones that most people used the same models for, just seemed like unnecessary design. Plus it left a lore opening for Foot Knights, as Knights Errant are young and eager, they might not have 'earned' their steeds yet, etc

My goal is to shoot for low B / high C tier, as Ive found homebrew is way easier to feel okay if there is no chance of seeming OP, so most of the units will probably end up ~10-20 points higher than they should be just to help with that goal.

Edited by cyberhawk94
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cyberhawk94 said:

First Draft: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MQjHdN1xGEoM9-dhOmH

No lore blurbs for items and such yet, but warscrolls and allegiance abilities are in there. Would love feedback on balance and design in general. 

The points costs are rough estimates, I haven't actually sat down and done extensive comparisons yet. 

Units that should be fairly strong as they are iconic to the army and should be part of Brets strengths: Knights of the Realm, Grail Knights, Trebuchets, Green Knight

Units that some people might not have access to so should be on the weak side (basically just have rules for the sake of it): Yeoman, Foot Knights

The Green Knight in particular Im looking for feedback on. I had to do most of the design work from scratch as he was pointed equal to the Light of Ethalion with like a 3rd of the abilities (was basically just a Bretonnian Lord with deepstrike and ethereal but no command ability) He shouldn't hit as hard as LoE but is way more mobile, and while not as tanky can resurrect, so they might be close to equal? mobility is the hardest thing to point cost.

The other controversial decision I made was to 'cut' Knights Errant as two nearly identical battleline cavalry, especially ones that most people used the same models for, just seemed like unnecessary design. Plus it left a lore opening for Foot Knights, as Knights Errant are young and eager, they might not have 'earned' their steeds yet, etc

My goal is to shoot for low B / high C tier, as Ive found homebrew is way easier to feel okay if there is no chance of seeming OP, so most of the units will probably end up ~10-20 points higher than they should be just to help with that goal.

I like the direction you are taking with this. The virtue system is a nice idea. The lance formation should be a lot harder to use in AOS but I think it is cool to see. I am using almost the same models for the two standard knight types so I can get behind making one redundant. And I love that The Green Knight is a very scary guy and not just a slightly bretonnian lord+.  Never used battle pilgrims and never saw their charm so meh to that.

Not going into points since you already said they are just estimates, but right now I can see three points to mention.

-Field trebutched seems a bit too tough. I would imagine a group of 15-20 man-at-arms should win againts it in melee. Not currently though. I mean I haven't done the math but 10 of them lose decisively. Maybe you could make it squishier but give it a resistance againts ranged attacks, so that the crew is actually easy to kill once you reach them, but the machine serves as a cover so they are hard to take down from afar.

-Bowmen and man-at-arms are very weak and yes that is how it should be. But I think there needs to be some way to make them somewhat stronger. One of the heroes giving a +1 to hit aura or something maybe. I already like full knight armies and the peasants being useless are not helping their case.

-Damsel on pegasus? Prophetess on pegasus was a thing.

Probably a typo: Right now Lance formation reads, "3 models from a friendly BRETONNIA unit are within 1" of an enemy model". That last word should be unit I think.

Thanks for the feedback! To address your points:

The thing with the lance formation is because of pile-in, it only works if you attack first (your opponent can just surround the front of the lance and pull a 4th or 5th model into combat). This is why I make the Lord's CA what it is, its really important to getting lance charges off. Its easy to use on paper to try and make it more about your tactics / the opportunity cost of the command points than trying to get a list of conditions to line up.

Field trebuchet was always slightly tougher among the artillery in WHFB, its currently the same stats as a Hellstorm/Celestar but +3 wounds. I could make it unique by knocking down its save but having cover from ranged attacks though, thats easy enough.

By using Purity + Champion of the Lady, you can turn peasants into a disgustingly cheap tarpit (5+ ignore wounds + regen), and there is the battalion for Re-rolls to hit. I might change the foot banner for the Noble though, Ill look through the old book and see if there were any items I could copy. Keep in mind the Enchantress spell + Faithful Masses can really ramp up the damage on peasants

It was, but I couldnt find a model that wasn't kitbashed. that might just be ignorance though, I can definitely add a +20 points for a pegasus option. 

Not a typo, there isnt a situation where unit/model makes a distinction in that rule, and model is clearer IMO

Is there any egregiously low/high points values you can see? might save me some time lol

Edited by cyberhawk94

Right now Errant Knights don't have anything on Freeguild Greatswords and yet they are the same price. And Cities of Sigmar has several ways to support them as well so I don't think its place in the rest of the army is enough of a reason for it either. If you hadn't written this: "...most of the units will probably end up ~10-20 points higher than they should be..." I would likeliy mention a few more. 

On the topic of that model/unit distinction. It is easy enough to understand, sure. But if we go into "well, technically..." mentality, there could be a big difference. I added a paint image of knights fighting some randoms. Right now lance shouldn't work. (Assume there are more knights behind the line) But the line is this:

"If exactly 3 models from a friendly BRETONNIA unit are within 1" of an enemy model"

In the added image, there are exactly 3 knight models that are within 1" of that marked enemy model. The lance rule technically works here. Changing it to "unit" should solve the issue. Of course, anyone that says lance formation works in this case would have trouble finding opponents in the future, but it is still better to not give a chance I think.

My damsel on pegasus is also kitbashed and I don't remember/know whether there was ever such a model.

By the way, I just realized the Restoration spell on pegasus knights? Too op.

Though I would not want it limited to 1-3 wounds either. That's too weak.

Paint Example.jpg

They have the Blessing of the Lady over greatswords, and do less damage. They're closer to Ironbreakers IMO.  But honestly theyre just there to be rules for people that bought foot knights for 9th age and similar

Huh, thats a good point on the model/unit thing, will change that

Restoration on Peg Knights.... Yea I can see that. Nighthaunt does it with spirit hosts but their much weaker. Not sure how to change that to work on Cav but not peg knights... but cant cut it since it was so common in WHFB I wanted to keep it