Changes coming to the Age of Sigmar App

I like it.

Again, I've only had five or so minutes to have a play with it, but what I've seen I like. 

Intersting to see that you cannot select a unit champion to be your General. But for me, the pdfs are really clear, and being able to easily put your own pics next to each unit will be a great help for me for referencing during a game (my opponents units will no longer be a mystery to me!).

True, it doesn't add a huge amount to the great work at scrollbuilder, but at 99p a month, I think it's a bargain!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I think I'm giving this a pass.  It's a nice idea, but I expected something like War Room.  If the subscription unlocked battalions and whatnot, then it might be worth it.  But I don't see a reason to use this army builder over like Scrollbuilder or whatnot.  I still like being able to download the warscrolls for reference, but it looks like the builder itself is super primitive.

Just having a play around with it now. Unless i'm missing something, there's things you can't even add to the builder (let alone see the rules for) without paying extra to add them? Things like allegiance abilities etc. I appreciate those kinds of things don't affect points but I was hoping to at least be able to have all things about my army listed so that I can just print it out and give it to my opponent and have them know what I'm fielding.

So the 99p subscription really gets you a builder for the basic things in your army (points/battlefield role restrictions), but not something that you can use to produce an accurate list of what you're bringing to the table. You need to either pay extra to include other things, or keep a separate record. And if I'm keeping a separate record of extras, I'm unlikely to use the builder anyway.

Looks like it has a lot of potential to be really good - but not quite there yet. Hopefully with it being an app, it'll be something they can easily update over time to make it better.

Army Builder thing is decent, but it fell flat when it stopped filtering for my allegiance on 'Other' units.  They need to fix that.  It still prevents you from adding them, but it doesn't give an error.

The rest of the app is much improved.  All the rules on subscribing would be nice to have, but I'm ok without it.  

do want to see a way to unlock stuff from books I already own - that should be a bare minimum.

In my opinion, if they wanted to go down the subscription route, they should have done a tiered option. Something like this:

Tier 0 (Free): Free rules, etc. Essentially the app as we knew it.

Tier 1 (£1/month): Points unlock and army builder

Tier 2 (£3/month): Everything in tier one plus access to all allegiance abilities, command traits, artefacts, battalions, battle plans, etc. Essentially have full access to all of the core things needed to play the game.

Tier 3 (£5/month): Everything in tiers one and two plus full unlimited digital access to all Battletomes, guides, handbook's, etc.

I don't know about most people but around here people maybe buy one or two books a year as they start a new army, if that, so I could see tiered subscription options being successful while allowing the player to choose which price point they wish to enter. People who want physical copies, will still buy physical copies and people who don't want to commit to a subscription also won't. To echo others, physical copies should definitely come with a digital unlock code.

I would imagine that tier 2 would be the sweet spot, as what people really want is access to the play the game without being behind multiple paywalls.

The way I see it is make it easy to play/get in to the game by removing barriers to entry, the models will then sell themselves.

I like it.

What I miss or havn't found is a way to select which units that belongs to which formation. If I add a formation I would like to have a drop down box on the units where I could select that formation or any other formation that I have added, (bonus if the app only let you include the unit in the formation if it is legal to do so).

I tried now the new version of the app...quite displeased.

I bought the digital version of the General Handbook before the renewing of the app. Now I try to access to the points of the units and it says me I have to buy the General Handbook...

I go to see in the section and I find the GH bought and avalable to consult...

still I cna't see the points...

Quite disappointing.

Sincerly I hate to pay double for both digital and physical verison, I made an exception for the GH cause I use it quite often, but now seeing this I'm less and less interesting in the digital version if I can't even use what I bought.

5 minutes ago, deynon said:

I tried now the new version of the app...quite displeased.

I bought the digital version of the General Handbook before the renewing of the app. Now I try to access to the points of the units and it says me I have to buy the General Handbook...

I go to see in the section and I find the GH bought and avalable to consult...

still I cna't see the points...

Quite disappointing.

Sincerly I hate to pay double for both digital and physical verison, I made an exception for the GH cause I use it quite often, but now seeing this I'm less and less interesting in the digital version if I can't even use what I bought.

If you open up the generals handbook in the app and go to contents: pitched battle profiles, do the points show there?

If not you are right, you aren't getting what you paid for.

If you do see them then you mean the points displaying in the army list builder if you had the GHB.

But now the list builder is behind the sub paywall.

I see why you might be a bit annoyed but I don't see this as a 'I can't use what I bought' situation.

1 minute ago, Turragor said:

If you open up the generals handbook in the app and go to contents: pitched battle profiles, do the points show there?

If not you are right, you aren't getting what you paid for.

If you do see them then you mean the points displaying in the army list builder if you had the GHB.

But now the list builder is behind the sub paywall.

I see why you might be a bit annoyed but I don't see this as a 'I can't use what I bought' situation.

The general handbook is complete, I can accede it in the app. But I can't see the points in the app in the session (my battle) cause it says I have to buy the General Handbook...

I'm not interested in the list builder, I'm not asking it to make me lists.

Lists require to set the general, to choose the options and weapons, to multiply the amount of points for the ock of units and add the total... It's not the same at all.

I'm asking to see the points cuase I bought the Generla Handbook...and it can't ask me I have to buy it when I have yet bought it and it shows me done too. I'm not having what I bought cause the app itself says that I have to have the GH to see the points and then doesn't let me do it other than going to control manually. 

Disappointrd, so much potential but let down.

Why can't access the warscrolls from the builder itself?

Why can't I have access to all abilities, rules, traits etc. 

Why do I not have access to all battleions?

I'd happily pay £5 a month for the above, instead they charge me 99p for something I can already get free.

Also why if I bought a physical copy do I have to pay again for a digital copy?

Playing with the new app.  Has anyone figured out how to get non allegiance models into a list , e.g. I wanted to do my Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove battalion with a Loremaster or  other non - Sylvaneth wizard as the battalion allows. but it did not seem possible?

17 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

Remove it and reinstall.  I had no issue personally.

This worked, thanks! Having to re-download all the books and scrolls makes me glad unlimited data plans exist.

1 hour ago, Ian R said:

Playing with the new app.  Has anyone figured out how to get non allegiance models into a list , e.g. I wanted to do my Sylvaneth Gnarlroot Wargrove battalion with a Loremaster or  other non - Sylvaneth wizard as the battalion allows. but it did not seem possible?

I had this problem with the Guardians of the Dawnspire battalion, I think it just doesn't work in these instances unfortunately?  

There's a couple of problems with Swifthawk Agents in Azyr - the Ripsnikk's Raiders battalion is still listed as Swifthawk which will presumably cause problems for Skaven players and the points in the app for Spireguard are still incorrect since Spire of Dawn came out (listed as 200 but are 120 in the Spire of Dawn booklet).

If they iron out the kinks it'll be great, being able to use pictures of your own units is a fantastic idea, but at the moment I struggle to see a reason not to stick with Scrollbuilder, especially since Azyr just doesn't accept some legal armies.  I really do like the change to the way they display the list of Battleplans in 'my battle' now though, I think they were always grouped into the book they came out in but having them explicitly grouped that way with headers makes it much easier to navigate!

Alright, my thoughts so far

Pros

• Azyr. Apart from the warscroll gaffe (see below) it works great. Has most of the functionality you'd want and some you probably didn't know you needed (like photos of your guys).
  • New icons. Look pretty good.

Cons

• Times of War and Battle Plans, the things you need the least, are at the top of "My Battle". God forbid you actually add any battle plans or times of war to "My Battle" because you will have to scroll your finger off to get to your units. And if I don't add them there, every time I want to find a battle plan I own I have to scroll through hundreds of them in the complete list. This needs fixing. At least put the battle plans I actually own at the top of the list.
  • Can't open Warscrolls from Azyr. This should be an obvious update.
  • Warscroll list. Half the screen on my phone is taken up by the faction picker, search bar and bottom menu, meaning the actual content I want (list of warscrolls) is very cramped.
  • Still no way to rearrange/drag and drop stuff in My Battle.
  • Small niggle: The "General's Handbook Age of Sigmar FAQs" still hasn't been removed even though it's the old version and the newer version is included in the "Warhammer Age of Sigmar FAQs" entry.

Everything else looks basically the same. I was actually hoping for a ground-up rewrite since the app is a bit clunky and not customizable at all.

2 hours ago, Nevvermore said:

Cons

• Times of War and Battle Plans, the things you need the least, are at the top of "My Battle". God forbid you actually add any battle plans or times of war to "My Battle" because you will have to scroll your finger off to get to your units. And if I don't add them there, every time I want to find a battle plan I own I have to scroll through hundreds of them in the complete list. This needs fixing. At least put the battle plans I actually own at the top of the list.

You know you can search the battleplans now? Much better than previously?

Archived