Changes coming to the Age of Sigmar App

Hey TGA gang,

Over on the Warhammer Twitch Channel, they announced some upcoming changes to the Age of Sigmar app. I personally missed it because it was sneakily hidden in a 40k segment. I decided to write a bit about the changes because I saw soo little chatter on the subject. You can find the details and my rant here:

https://ageofsigmar.eu/updated-app/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you i think I am disapointed slightly that there wasn't a tie in for viewing rules and such, and again, like yourself I would pay a premium to have everything there and functioning. I think its crazy weird that if you actually buy the book physically (at a larger cost to the digital?) That you don't realease some of the rules in the app, some sort of QR code feature that gives you a one use in an app to unlock some of the battalions/warscrolls?

I'm really not sure with this, you have to do everything in such a convoluted way anyway, that I may as well continue to use scroll builder for free, my physical book for building and reading, and the app just as a warscroll holder at a game, because I think this service just lacks that little bit extra, which I would pay more for GW!!!

Nice! I look forward to this. I also really hope Tony P is allowed to continue with his amazing Scrollbuilder page - he was voted the community member of the year by us and has had Scrollbuilder mentioned by Rob on Warhammer Weekly so I really hope the site is allowed to continue.

6 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Interesting. It will be a bit of a shame if you cant view the warscrolls whilst list building.

TBH my preference would've been if they brought Tony (@scrollbuilderdude) on board. His product would definitely be worth at least £1 a month. I'm sure some people would complain, but in reality we all know it's worth it.

I'm currently waiting with baited breath on this as I want to do a bit more work on my Warscroll Designer and depending on what the new app provides will determine what I end up doing

Thanks for all the great comments. I am happy people found it useful.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Interesting. It will be a bit of a shame if you cant view the warscrolls whilst list building.

TBH my preference would've been if they brought Tony (@scrollbuilderdude) on board. His product would definitely be worth at least £1 a month. I'm sure some people would complain, but in reality we all know it's worth it.

I think you will be able to view the rules in the Army builder if you have access to that content. So you can click on your unit and see the warscroll, or you can click on the battalion in your army and read the rules if you have access to reading the rules for that battalion. At any rate, we will see once they get it launched.

I hope they do not do alienate hobby contributors like @scrollbuilderdude by making them take down their sites.

14 minutes ago, AgeofsigmarEU said:

I think you will be able to view the rules in the Army builder if you have access to that content. So you can click on your unit and see the warscroll, or you can click on the battalion in your army and read the rules if you have access to reading the rules for that battalion. At any rate, we will see once they get it launched.

That sounds contrary to what was stated on the feed.  If you subscribe you get access to all points, battalions, and scrolls.

7 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

That sounds contrary to what was stated on the feed.  If you subscribe you get access to all points, battalions, and scrolls.

I think there are two separate issues. The first is adding a battalion to your army in the army builder section. This you can do if you are a subscriber. The second is whether or not the subscription will unlock the ability to read what the battalion does. This they stated would not be the case, although I agree they could have been more explicit. 

Tbh the app still sounds rubbish with these changes. A subscription fee for an army builder app that doesn't include battalion and allegiance rules? Still no connection between the physical copy (or even other-digital) and the rules the app will suffer to let you see? Forget it.

I am actually quite looking forward to the new version, and I am very happy with GW's efforts.

I find the current version super useful. I did buy the proper books, but the fact that they make all the warscrolls available freely is great, and having it on your mobile is 10x better than having to drag a few heavy books.

The fact that the app will now offer additional functionalities at a very low price point (GBP12 / year seems very reasonable to me) is great; more power to the people ready to pay for the army builder.

It would be great if the war scroll battalions would be included; if not, I'll just do what I do know: take a photo of the page and keep it in my phone. It's not like I need access to all the battalion war scrolls 24/7 when I'm away from home...

Just my 2 cents :-)

4 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

I think I'll just keep using the Warscroll builder until such time as they build something better.

Don't be surprised if that gets killed.  As much as I like that tool, it is trading on the proprietary work of others - orhers who may want to protect their right to sell the concept  (as they should!)  rather than let someone else give it away for free.

Looking forward to it, prefer the app over battletomes as it is, happy to pay 99p a month to have all scrolls and points unlocked, the army builder is a bonus.

Hopefully they provide an option to buy army specific rules and gear/spells etc. too. So you don't even need the book physical or digital.

Well I've just updated, subscribed and had a very quick play.  Now the following comment is based purely on five/ten minutes messing around.

The App handles a lot more smoothly.  You have circular icon buttons where as before you'd have text although the icons don't always make sense with what they're meant to do (hammer in a circle is "add all to My Battle" for example).

The Azyr part of the app sits behind a firewall and is a bolt on army builder.  Create your army with a chosen GA and play style and hey-presto you can add various units to it.  Interestingly you have a Battleline and "Other" section rather than them being lumped together.  Once created you can quickly add all of the options to the "My Battle" part of the Warscrolls section of the app.  You can add pictures to each entry and then generate a PDF

Pros:

• Overall a much slicker app
  • You can add your own model pictures to the PDF generated
  • Nice and quick for knocking out an army whilst on the bus or in the pub without requiring an internet connection

Cons:

• Not really sure the point of Azyr.  As cheap as it is, Warscroll Builder provides everything it does and the output PDF is significantly more optimal - or writing out the A4 PDF that's in the Generals Handbook
  • No connectivity between Azyr and Warscrolls.  I want to create my army list and simply tap an icon to allow me to flick through my army, one unit per screen, I don't want to add it to "My Battle"
  • You still have to buy battalions
  • The warscroll part of the app doesn't talk with Azyr, so to unlock points in that you have to purchase the Generals Handbook which just doesn't make sense

I did find a few bits that didn't work.  After subscribing Azyr crashed, the filter for searching for a warscroll in Azyr didn't work and playing with the PDF settings wouldn't allow me back into the app.  However I can forgive this as I know how challenging it is to test everything in every environment.

What is slightly less forgivable is that this tiny subscription doesn't actually add any content and leaves me with a feeling of being a little bit ripped off.  I think the WarhammerTV subscription is fantastic, you get 12~15 hours content a week (and more), this just seems like a way to monetise the app.  What's frustrating is that I would have been happy with having points unlocked in the Warscroll part of the app!

While I'm happy they're adding to the app I have to echo @RuneBrush in not seeing the point of the additions, at least not yet. I'd much rather use Word, ScollBuilder.com, etc. for making and printing lists and those are free utilities. I also have no desire to spend money on the app to get Battalions when there is no connection between physical and digital purchases and the app doesn't work on my tablet (Kindle Fire).

Coming from a Warmachine background I think GW still has a long road ahead of them to catch up to some of the things that the War Room app can do. Their main advantage is free rules, which is awesome and great for looking things up mid-game, but I'd like to see Battalions added to that and probably Allegiance abilities as well. I understand that's asking for GW to give all the "good stuff" away for free but unless physical books entitle you to a free digital version that would be my preference.

Speaking frankly this is a time where a Player can get their rules for free online with minimal effort and the price point for often minimalist books add to an expensive hobby. Giving all the rules for free and having books as a collector's/hobbyist item makes sense to me, and if they'd like to charge a small fee for an Army Builder with additional functionality (like click a Unit to jump to their scroll, Wound tracking, Scenario tracking, etc.) then I'd be first in line for that.

Archived