Storage advice

valenswift

I agree with Superkick, foam trays can at time be false security with sharp bits getting caught in the foam etc. Personally I will be getting a display case, no need to hide my models away from view, and use a tray to move the models around. 

If you want a cheap option perhaps office document trays? They often come in stackable systems and can be cheap, if fitted with magnet sheets or even just non-slip sheets your models should be safe and easy to move. There's also the added benefit that you can see your collection without have to sort through foam trays.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:50 PM, SuperKick said:

I haven't done it myself but I will be getting a "really useful box" 18l probably. Magnet sheets glued to the bottom and magnets on the bottom of the minis. Foam is just to scary for modern models imo. 

Lots of tiny thin bits in all different directions! Older models were much more compact

UK wise by far your cheapest option is really useful boxes.  The 4l ones will fit most infantry sized models and if you're not transporting models further than a cross the hall they're perfectly safe. I've increased the durability some of of mine by sticking some magnetic card to the bottom and adding small magnets to the bottom of my models similar to WFB magnetic movement trays.

If they are not leaving the house, I wouldn't bother with foam trays, rediculously expensive and as you well know fitting anything bigger than regular infantry size models can be hard work and more damaging than just throwing them in an old box.

Display cases are a nice idea, but if your like me, you probably hate dusting and/or may not have the real estate to have a room of display cases to fit minatures in. I brought myself a load of plastic storage boxes and  lined them with bubble wrap (using duck tape). This means you can fit a butt tonne of models in them, EVEN the big ones, they stack, they are water proof, cat proof and most importantly keep dust out. They fit in cupboards, under beds or on wardrobes so you save yourself some space, or you can lego stack them to the ceiling if your that tight for space. The bubble wrap is there just to give them a bit of protection against small journeys, have taken mine in cars a couple of times and the models have fell over and taken no damage.

Example of what boxes I mean are here, but I got mine from out of town shop the Range in the UK:

http://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/large-plastic-storage-boxes-36lt-80lt-t9

EDIT: If you want a picture of them, let me know I can get a picture for you later.

Archived