Narrative Hijack of SCGT 2017

On 4/16/2017 at 9:01 PM, Soup Dragon said:

Nearly finished my warband for Hinterlands @ SCGT. Hopefully a few of us will get together on Saturday evening for a few games. Maybe even a 3 game campaign? 

Sweet warband - @The Barwick is looking for Hinterland games too, so you guys should rally more players together.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, so apart from real life getting in the way and meaning I couldn't do the Sunday ? I didn't do too badly - mainly down to the Dorset "Dog" gers dice rolling golden in one game.  Tertiary missions attached but run down of main missions below:

"overall goal - to get someone who wasn't doing narrative hijack to join in"

alas a fail on this one. Although told all 3 opponents and none of them told me to "f**k off" and all seemed genuinely interested.

Objectives

1.  "Win a game!"

At last I managed it! Although I did win priority every roll ?

2.  "Lady Rosalind to survive"

nothing glorious here.  She died in every game as she always does except one.  Where she got smashed and ran away like a coward to survive on 2 wounds At the back of board - tactical retreat I figure.  Was too busy "entertaining" a new client  ?

3.  "izzy" to get someone to kill themselves/a friend all for love"

pleased with this one as in the end my opponent was calling her "izzy" as well and we both celebrated when their star soul mace guy fell in love, heard her seductive whispering, and beat the s**t out of his mate ?

Thanks to all.  Was uber fun ?

IMG_0558.JPG

On 20/04/2017 at 9:40 AM, KnightFire said:

Objectives:

1. Smash up all the things (get 6000 kill points over the weekend)

2. Zebgrokk is better than godrakk - If I come across godrakk during a game, kill him

3. Brawn over brains - Lose a game on VPs but be up on kill points

I will post a more thorough update of what I acheived and which of the objectives from the sheet I managed, but the brief summary is that after somewhat failing to leave the trail of destruction that he hoped for, Zebgrokk arrived at the altar of azyr, to find Gordrakk waiting for him! At this point the only priority became issuing his challenge and then defeating gordrakk.  Zebgrokk took the initiative and rushed to the altar, issuing a bellowing challenge to gordrakk, this obviously unsettled gordrakk somewhat, who looked at little bruised from the experience. Gordrakk turned to face zebgrokk, and looked about to charge, before faltering (obviously realising that zebgrokk was the bigger orruk). Wasting no more time, zebgrokk charged right into gordrakk, and swiftly dispatched him.

large.IMG-20170423-WA0018.jpeg.82d777e5e17ed58158fdb50c2a058d1f.jpeg

This final battle was such a great end to the narrative for my weekend, and a massive thanks to @Thornshield and everyone else involved in organising it, as it really made my weekend.

Ok - so my progress over the weekend:

As mentioned above, the whole narrative for my army was that my megaboss on maw crusha - Zebgrokk, was looking to challenge Gordrakk to a fight, and he planned to yell his challenge from the Altar of Azyr to get his attention. So it was great to have a final game against @Ian Gilmore in the final game who had Gordrakk in his list. I pretty much ignored the scenario objectives and set up just to allow myself to strike the altar and then attack gordrakk, which I managed to do (and killed him in one round of combat, before he could strike back). This really made my weekend, as it was a perfect narrative ending!

Game Specific: 

Game 1 - ask if your opponents army has a back story and share yours - yes

Game 2 - Share a heros name and motivation during a battle - yes

Game 3 - After the game, get your opponent to bestow a title on one of your units - no

Game 4 - share your armies progress towards the altar of azyr - no (opponent really didnt want anything to do with narrative)

Game 5 - give a title to one of your opponents units - no (I was overwhelmed by Steve Foote's board!, although in hindsight I bestow the title "da ard to kill un" on Lord Castellant Grim)

Game 6 - At the end of the game, ask for your opponents army's story over the weekend - no (I had killed gordrakk and was too excited by that, but we did discuss my army's story a lot)

Forging your narrative:

Did you meet at least one of your army's objectives - yes, I met two (killing Gordrakk and getting 6k kill points)

Did you meet all three of your army's objectives - no, I failed to lose a game but be up in KPs. Every game I lost I was down in KPs.

Did you meet your army's goal over the weekend - yes, I yelled a challenge to Gordrakk from the altar, and then killed him in the same battle, so I over achieved on this

Did you try to work the Altar of Azyr story in with your efforts - yes!

Feats:

Kill the enemy general with your general - yes, I killed gordrakk with my general!!!!!!

Kill an enemy monster with a hero - yes, as well as gordrakk he also killed a vampire lord on zombie dragon

Cause 6 or more models to flee in an enemy battleshock phase - no, I either chop everyone up or I don't. My army doesnt allow people to run away (I usually kill a unit, or die in a slow attrition)

Successfully make a charge of 10" or more - yes

Hold an objective with the same unit for at least 3 turns - yes, Megaboss on the first scenario and fourth scenario, and probably other times.

Occupy the silver tower with a hero holding an artifact - no (not a chance, that would involve stopping smashing things up)

Make 3 hazardous journeys through realmgates - no, my orruks preferred to run rather than rely on these fancy realmgates

End a game with more units in your opponents deployment zone - yes, game 5 vs Steve Foote

Twists of fate:

Successfully cast a vital spell on a double 6 - yes kind of, but it was only mystic shield, so maybe not vital

Successfully unbind a vital spell on a double 6 - yes, unbound an opponents mystic shield

Fail to cast a crucial spell on a double 1 - yes, my shaman regularly failed to cast mystic shield on zebgrokk on double 1s, but some question as to how vital it was

Fail a 3" charge with a double 1 - yes, zebgrokk failed to charge Lord castellant Grimm with a double 1 in game 5, the brutes also managed it in game 6 vs gordrakks brutes

Roll a double or triple when striking the anvil - no, I only struck it once to yell my challenge, then ran off after gordrakk

Use 3 at all costs abilities over the wekeend - no, not even 1

Misc:

Take a photo of a game in progress and tweet under #NHoS17 - no, I did tweet some under #SCGT2017 though

Play a game of hinterlands or triumph and treachery over the weekend - no

Stay in the venue on saturday evening - for a short while, but I was really tired!

Amazing stuff guys! I had a blast at SCGT17 and it was made even more special knowing there were people taking part in this little project. Not sure why you guys didn't come up to me on the day to chat about it though (apart from Pano, who was having such a blast with it on the top tables!) ;)

Anyway, please tally up your scores and post them here with your stories and at the end of the week, I'll announce the 'winner' who will gain priority access to purchasing a RAW2017 ticket. That's right, the Narrative event of the year!

Archived