Theory Hammer - Nagash as a Tzeentch Counter

TerrorPenguin

So, Nagash is incredibly expensive, but with the re-emergence of magic with the tzeentch battletome I was wondering if he could be a good counter to some of the newer lists. 

How about:

Leaders
Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (900)
Necromancer (120)

Battleline
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)
10 x Zombies (60)

Units
1 x Corpse Cart (80)

Total: 1280/2000

With 720 points for summoning. First turn, summon zombies. You can't fail to summon at least twenty (nagash doubles the number of units summoned - setting up 10 requires a 4 up and he gets a +3 to cast if no wounds) and you're likely to be able to set up 40 (5+ on two dice). Daisy chain these back to the other 30 deployed which are near the corpse cart and you have a 60 zombie unit with the bonuses from a corpse cart. They're hitting on 2+ wounding on 3+. OK, they're not going to present a huge problem, but they're basically a roadblock. Those 40 zombies cost you  240 points leaving you 480 for summoning. With this you could do a couple of units of Morghasts, or spirit hosts, cairn wraiths and banshees for 3 places of power or even a mourngul. Or more zombies.

And because Nagash can attempt to unbind at least 3 and up to 8 enemy spells he might make a good tzeentch counter. 

What do people think? Not sure I can bring myself to paint that many zombies however...

Given that the local Tzeentch player wins mostly using a brick of Tzaangors thrown at the enemy face, this list would only be worse against Tzeentch lists I see regularly, by dint of being so easy to KO by hitting Nagash himself.

Sorry man, he's still a massive overinvestment at this points level.

Just now, CoffeeGrunt said:

Given that the local Tzeentch player wins mostly using a brick of Tzaangors thrown at the enemy face, this list would only be worse against Tzeentch lists I see regularly, by dint of being so easy to KO by hitting Nagash himself.

Sorry man, he's still a massive overinvestment at this points level.

Whoever sculpted him must be pissed at the handbook writers...

When i looked at the lord of change it scared me. He can learn the spell of any model on a 9 roll to dispell, doesnt even say he has to dispell the spell, just that he has to get a 9. So thats quite likely with the switching the lowest to the highest. Now they can just hand of dust nagash...

10 hours ago, WillofNagash said:

When i looked at the lord of change it scared me. He can learn the spell of any model on a 9 roll to dispell, doesnt even say he has to dispell the spell, just that he has to get a 9. So thats quite likely with the switching the lowest to the highest. Now they can just hand of dust nagash...

Hand of dust is within 3" and still requires a 50/50 chance. So id be more concerned with getting your face caved in by nagash then dispelling his spells lol.

Archived