Stand-alone Spiderfang Grots

Frankenfreund

Hi guys!

I am new here as an acitve member but have been reading for quite some time.

My question concerns the Spiderfang Grots. I got me a nice collection, namely the Spiderfang Venommob with the three Arachnaroks, the Boss on Spider, 3 Units of Spiders and, outside of the Venommob, another Boss. It Looks like this here:

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Arachnarok Spider With Grot Shaman (280)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)
Grot Big Boss On Gigantic Spider (100)

Battleline
15 x Grot Spider Riders (300)
- Spiderfang Battleline
15 x Grot Spider Riders (300)
- Spiderfang Battleline
10 x Grot Spider Riders (200)
- Spiderfang Battleline

Units

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider (280)

Battalions
Spiderfang VenomMob (100)

Total: 1940/2000

I had the pleasure to play this list twice already, once I won (it was the diagonal-set-up mission) and once I lost (the  three-locations of power mission). It was quite fun in a non-competitive Environment. What sets These apart from my Mortal Nurgle army is the fact, that both the victory and the defeat were VERY decisive whereas my Nurgle-army seems to get closer results.

The Problem against Death armies with a lot of casters (Neferata, Arkhan) was that I could never really get all buffs stacked together.

Anyway, some questions, for ease of answering I will number them:

1. what do you guys think of this list in a more competitive Setting? Can it stand up against some of the harder lists out there?

2. what, besides low saves/wounds does this army lack?

3. which Artifacts / Abilities would you give the characters? I went with bellowing tyrant on the General, battle brew on the second Boss and the taunting blade (no idea what it is in English, I have the German Version of the GH only) on one of the Spider Shamans.

Thanks in advance!

Well, the first thing is that unfortunately, the Spiderfang Venom Mob is not currently legal in matched play, since several units were renamed and the FAQ doesn't allow you to use the updated scroll for renamed units. I'd also consider upgrading the third Arachnarok to also carry a Shaman, even though you can only cast two spells, it gives you another scoring character for Places of Power, and more flexibility and redundancy for spell casting, so you can make sure to get the spells you need where you need them. Sadly, the Flinga just isn't worth a damn, though who knows, maybe we'll get different point values for the 3 Arachnarok variants (no-howdah, flinga, shaman), and there will be a reason to have one.

Without the battalion, the army suffers greatly from low bravery, though with the battalion can do quite well in a competitive setting (even without it, but it will take more work).

For Artefacts, battle brew on the Arachnarok's with Shaman is just about the best way to go, and Bellowing Tyrant on a Big Boss is fantastic to stack with his command ability.

3 hours ago, thediceabide said:

Well, the first thing is that unfortunately, the Spiderfang Venom Mob is not currently legal in matched play, since several units were renamed and the FAQ doesn't allow you to use the updated scroll for renamed units.

Hello and thanks for the answer!

Am I overlooking something? Isn't the Spiderfang Venommob in the Android app? Why then would they have it in there and the units with it, and not allow it? What got renamed? You see me flabbergasted!

5 hours ago, Frankenfreund said:

Hello and thanks for the answer!

Am I overlooking something? Isn't the Spiderfang Venommob in the Android app? Why then would they have it in there and the units with it, and not allow it? What got renamed? You see me flabbergasted!

It is in their app! The Big Boss and Spider Riders have both been renamed. There has quite a lot of discussion about this since the latest FAQ.

1 hour ago, Frankenfreund said:

So the whole formation from the compendium is non-existent? I could just use the old compendium all together and use the old war scroll from it, couldn't I?

Not quite. If you agree with your opponent in a Matched Play game that you can use the formation with the current Warscrolls it will be fine but the issue you will have is that there are no Goblin Spider Riders in the Generals Handbook, just Grot Spider Riders. This is why you can't use the formation in matched play. 

I think playing with Spiderfang Grots are still quite viable and possible without the formation.

Archived