Lightning Chariot

Turragor

Question

This is a similar to other questions about 'counts as move' setups.

Note the wording on Lightning Chariot (a setup) - the unit 'may not move in the subsequent movement phase'.

There is no mention of a counts as move or 'this is the units move for that turn'.

It's even more esoteric.

Is this GW trying to clearly draw a line between setups during play which prohibit you moving after but don't count as a movement and setups during play which prohibit you moving after and count as a movement?

Or is it another way to describe the same thing?

It would be great to know and get it answered as people are about to see a lot of hurricane raptors and crossbow judicators thrown across the board and fire extra shots (if it is truly a pure setup).

2 answers to this question

In the case of the Judicators it seems pretty clear they can benefit from the extra shot.

Boltstorm Crossbow rapid fire- "if the unit does not move in the movement phase then..."

Lightining Chariot - "may not move in the subsequent movement phase"

So even if they wanted to move they can't and therefore don't count as having moved.

The 'teleport' also takes place in the hero phase not the movement phase, so even if it counts as 'movement' in some capacity, the unit still did not move in it's movement phase. 

Set-ups that count as a units movement are a lot less clear. I.e,  Waystone pathfinders battalion is one. 

e.g "In your first Movement phase you can set these units up... This is each units move for that movement phase"

It doesn't say it counts as moving... but does it?

What is a units move? Context is important. It could be

-The units move characteristic

- the action of physically moving your unit in the movement phase, charge phase and when piling in (all with different rules). 

- Special rules that allow you to move as above but that break the normal rules. E.g vanhels danse or the Skeleton Horse Archers shoot in the movement phase, move in the shooting phase. Many battalions allow you to move in the hero phase. The destruction alligence ability.

- An alternative action, such as a set-up, which is described as a units move, ( as per the waystone battalion)

Are there others to compare? 

Here's the wording from a few selections from SCE (my area of expertise if you will <adjusts monocle>):

The old Warrior Brotherhood and Skyborne Slayers scrolls (both in order alliance tome) stated: "This is it'stheir move for that movement phase"

Checking other mentions of porting and setups (quick glance at sylvaneth rules for units and battalions) from the same order alliance book, they all seem to say "...move for that movement phase".

Checking the Stormcast Tome (old and new to see if wording changed) battalions:

Hammerstrike Force is "...move for that movement phase". Vanguard wing however, looks different until you see it just lays out the same thing differently (at the start instead of the end of the ability description) with "Instead of moving in their movement phase...".

The new special stormcast warscroll abilities (astral compass for hunters and lord aquilor) state: "This is their move for that movement phase".

The Palladors on the other hand have a more complex description but still have "In their movement phase...instead of moving normally".

So for me those abilities that state that the setup is the units move for that movement phase are telling us the setup is a move. For me that's clear now.  It's across multiple tomes and factions (I checked the skal battalion and hunter setup rules from beastclaw raiders, gorgers from the destruction alliance tome, all have the same wording)

Those abilities saying "instead of" I'm a little more unsure of but in principle it is surely the same thing.

With this in mind, Lightning Chariot is clearly worded differently and is a setup that just prohibits movement in the movement phase.

Perhaps someone else thinks differently? I don't think the setup v movement debate is over yet!

Archived