AoS podcasts

Lavy

38 minutes ago, xking said:

I want more podcast that talk about the lore. all we got is Garagehammer and sometimes Mortal Realms

I love Garagehammer too but try Miniatures Monthly podcast. Earlier in the thread someone recommended them and I've now listened to all their five episodes. They are heavy on the fluff and comes up with good stories and cinematic descriptions for their armies and battles. 

They are not AOS exclusive, there's a lot of Horus Heresy too. And hobby/painting talk ??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a cool thread and a great list.

I have been thinking recently, considering how many are out there that I have struggled of late to find decent AoS content to listen to and agree with some of the comments above. There is lots of brilliant podcast are out there but it certainly seems to have dropped of in amount of or how regular podcasts are released on the stuff I want to listen to. 

Also I seem to have lost a few of my regular listening podcasts to the 40K release which is a shame but with the above list there is a few more i havnt tried yet so replacements could be inbound :). Hopefully with GHB2 inbound it might spark some more AoS love.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, ChippyRick said:

I have struggled of late to find decent AoS content to listen to

This seems a little harsh. There's plenty of us working hard week in week out, spending hours of our own time trying provide regular "decent" content for free.

If you think there is a gap in the market, then by all means, try to fill it (like @Cowboy Boots Matt@Rob Ellis and @Ian Gilmore are discussing at present). Or provide feedback directly to the individual podcasts regarding what you would like to see them cover.

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

This seems a little harsh. There's plenty of us working hard week in week out, spending hours of our own time trying provide regular "decent" content for free.

If you think there is a gap in the market, then by all means, try to fill it (like @Cowboy Boots Matt@Rob Ellis and @Ian Gilmore are discussing at present). Or provide feedback directly to the individual podcasts regarding what you would like to see them cover.

It certainly isnt a criticism of the quality of what is there, but more that there isnt enough of said quality for me to listen to. Not sure there ever could be mate :) 

But more recently quite a few of the podcasts I listened to regularly are not recording now or are not able to do as much (both fair reasons) and thanks to this chat I have found quit a few new ones to try which will hopefully fill the gaps in listening to AoS chat. 

6 minutes ago, ChippyRick said:

Haha, not at all mate, it may have read differently to how I wanted. 

On another note, hurry up and record some more AoS will you!!!!!

Well it is very unlike me to get precious I know! :P 

Recording with @TalesOfSigmar tonight to talk about his super cool Orruk Kharadon Overlords army for #RAW17!

I too have tons of AoS podcasts in my feed but still struggle to find many that I actually feel like listening to. I think, for me, some focus far too much on tournaments, which I do find interesting to a degree but they're often stuffed with details and in-jokes that are only really relevant to the people who are part of the very small and close-knit tournament community - it does leave me a bit jaded when you get this sort of thing week after week.

A lot of them are just way too long as well, and while it does add character to some extent I could do without a lot of the rambling, matey banter that a lot of podcasts fall prey to. I think some podcasters are a little deluded about how entertaining some of this stuff is for people outside their social circle, and they could tighten things up a lot. It can be grueling listening to a podcast that lasts 1.5 or even 2 hours knowing that there's probably about 40 minutes of great content cast adrift in a sea of blah. That's feature film length!

I think @Chris Tomlin's podcast is probably the most reliably engaging option because he makes an effort to explore the hobby from all angles and get interesting guests. You get something completely different every week, and he runs a pretty tight ship time-wise. All killer, no filler!

I've tried listening to Facehammer to replace Heelanhammer and it falls prey to exactly the condition described above- hyper tournament focused, close to zero attention given to the narrative or fluffy side of things, the chaps- who I'm sure are all nice blokes- sound like they're deeply unenthused or close to nodding off (though in all fairness this may be due to them being British, we're not as manic as the Yanks), and it's extremely difficult for a new listener to get to grips with. I will persevere and see if it grows on me.

Not every podcast is going to have universal audience.  I found Facehammer's hyper tournament focus to be uninteresting as well, but I'm sure there are those to whom it appeals.  I'm going to listen to episode 40 because it sounds like a change of pace.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:29 PM, SadGlad said:

I love Garagehammer too but try Miniatures Monthly podcast. Earlier in the thread someone recommended them and I've now listened to all their five episodes. They are heavy on the fluff and comes up with good stories and cinematic descriptions for their armies and battles. 

They are not AOS exclusive, there's a lot of Horus Heresy too. And hobby/painting talk ??

Their episodes are also quite long, so it's like it's far more than five episodes.  I'm only most of the way through the first episode, but this is a seriously good podcast.  I hope the remaining hours I have qued up are just as good.

If I had one general point of feedback for all AoS podcasters it would be this:

Stop hiding your mp3 links.  I don't know if it's done on purpose, but I'm really surprised how often they are difficult to find.  Or hidden behind a flash player for some third party service.  It's to the point where often the first thing I do when I get to a podcast episode page is view the source code for the page and search for .mp3.  

I think as mentioned a few times, everyone has different preferences and you can select podcasts to lean towards what you want to listen to. As with the above list there is a lot of people doing it out there and a thread like this helps us all find new ones.

TBH, I personally completely disagree with issues with the length of shows. I like nothing more than when I download the latest Black Sun / Facehammer / Garagehammer as a few examples and see 3+ hours of content. I listen a lot whilst I am driving so having days worth of 30-40 mins car journeys of 1 episode is brilliant. As I said, this is purely my opinion.

On the comments of peoples issues with the in jokes and so on, I think it is very difficult not to do this at times, especially when your discussing an event or group gaming / hobby session. I have had the privilege of being part of the Blacksun Podcast with @Chris Tomlin and also a returning guest and always found it tough when your chatting away with your mate that sometimes you bring something up that is relevant to your discussion or group that was involved with that subject even though when your the listener / outsider it might not be at all relevant. Luckily for me Chris is very good at what he does (and can edit well :) ) and always seemed to make me sound for the most part ok on there!!

On 7/5/2017 at 6:02 PM, Jamie the Jasper said:

I think @Chris Tomlin's podcast is probably the most reliably engaging option because he makes an effort to explore the hobby from all angles and get interesting guests. You get something completely different every week, and he runs a pretty tight ship time-wise. All killer, no filler!

I completely agree with this, and I am not just saying that because he is a friend. I know exactly how ****** he is and how hard he works with the Podcast and all things The Black Sun and it does pay off. The format of having all the diverse and cool subjects / guests on is a great direction and makes for good listening. My only negative comment is I don't like the nice short show ;) , keep them long man.

• 1 month later...

For anyone looking for a series of short podcasts focused on aspects of strategy and tactics, rather than wider tournament or hobby scene coverage, may I suggest my new podcast AoS Shorts?

AoS Shorts are a series of 10-20 minutes podcasts (out roughly weekly) aimed at distilling key information for time-poor gamers.  Each show focuses on a key AoS topic, such as list design, deployment, and scenarios,  and is accompanied by diagrams, tipsheets and a blog post for you to digest or refer to later.   You can find the shows and the blog posts at www.aosshorts.com, on iTunes, Podbean and as an RSS feed.  You can also now find us in the Podcasts sub-forum on TGA.

The episodes so far are:

1. How to write a winning army list for Warhammer Age of Sigmar
  2. Tournament Play Tips for Age of Sigmar – finish your games and have fun!
  3. Scenery in Age of Sigmar – how to use it better!
  4. Deployment – how to set up to win games!
  5. The Priority Roll – How to plan for it and put yourself in the best position to win!
  6. Target priority and threat assessment – making better in-game decisions.

Let me know if you have any feedback, comments etc.

wordpress-logo.jpg?zoom=1.5625&fit=300,3

On 06/07/2017 at 8:43 PM, Kirjava13 said:

I've tried listening to Facehammer to replace Heelanhammer and it falls prey to exactly the condition described above- hyper tournament focused, close to zero attention given to the narrative or fluffy side of things, the chaps- who I'm sure are all nice blokes- sound like they're deeply unenthused or close to nodding off (though in all fairness this may be due to them being British, we're not as manic as the Yanks), and it's extremely difficult for a new listener to get to grips with. I will persevere and see if it grows on me.

We don't discuss and narrative or fluff sides of Age of Sigmar as there are already amazing podcasts out there that do this. Our focus has always been tournaments, competitive gaming, painting and hobby in general. If someone sounds they are falling asleep they may well be!

On 7/5/2017 at 11:12 AM, ChippyRick said:

It certainly isnt a criticism of the quality of what is there, but more that there isnt enough of said quality for me to listen to. Not sure there ever could be mate :) 

But more recently quite a few of the podcasts I listened to regularly are not recording now or are not able to do as much (both fair reasons) and thanks to this chat I have found quit a few new ones to try which will hopefully fill the gaps in listening to AoS chat. 

Not having Heelnhammer twice a month hurts that content count.

On 7/6/2017 at 3:43 PM, Kirjava13 said:

I've tried listening to Facehammer to replace Heelanhammer and it falls prey to exactly the condition described above- hyper tournament focused, close to zero attention given to the narrative or fluffy side of things

Luckily this is exactly what I look for and is why they are my favorite podcast! :)

New player here, I've been listening to mortal realms, battleshock, and rolling bad. MR gives me fluff, battleshock gives me enthusiasm and random stuff, and RB makes me laugh. A lot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For anyone looking for a series of short podcasts focused on aspects of strategy and tactics, rather than wider tournament or hobby scene coverage, may I suggest my new podcast AoS Shorts?
AoS Shorts are a series of 10-20 minutes podcasts (out roughly weekly) aimed at distilling key information for time-poor gamers.  Each show focuses on a key AoS topic, such as list design, deployment, and scenarios,  and is accompanied by diagrams, tipsheets and a blog post for you to digest or refer to later.   You can find the shows and the blog posts at www.aosshorts.com, on iTunes, Podbean and as an RSS feed.  You can also now find us in the Podcasts sub-forum on TGA.
The episodes so far are:
  1. How to write a winning army list for Warhammer Age of Sigmar
  2. Tournament Play Tips for Age of Sigmar – finish your games and have fun!
  3. Scenery in Age of Sigmar – how to use it better!
  4. Deployment – how to set up to win games!
  5. The Priority Roll – How to plan for it and put yourself in the best position to win!
  6. Target priority and threat assessment – making better in-game decisions.
Let me know if you have any feedback, comments etc.
wordpress-logo.jpg?zoom=1.5625&fit=300,300&ssl=1
Your show has been a great addition to my cast list. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

My issue with many of the AOS podcasts is that they do not get updated on the 2 pod-catcher apps I have. I have to hunt them down and play them through a web-browser, which is not ideal when driving / phone is asleep. 

(first world problem, I realise)

The other problem is that my girlfriend is all "what the hell are you listening to?" xD

My issue with many of the AOS podcasts is that they do not get updated on the 2 pod-catcher apps I have. I have to hunt them down and play them through a web-browser, which is not ideal when driving / phone is asleep. 
(first world problem, I realise)
The other problem is that my girlfriend is all "what the hell are you listening to?" [emoji23]
What apps do you use? I use podcast addict and have had zero problems.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Archived