Fyreslayers/Duardin help

Solvanic

Hi All,

I have an order of fyreslayers coming that I need help deciding how to build out. They will be a smallish force accompanying my normal duardin. I am deciding between making the Forge Brethren formation or the Lords of the Lodge. Forge brethren is tempting because it will give me even more shooting, and the armor buff I think is decent as I can use it on either part of the army. The Lords of the Lodge turn ability I feel like would work well with my long range Quareller unit, getting to shoot 2x in a row should be devastating. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I have ordered:

1 magmadroth

3 auric/hearthguard

15 vulkites

The core of my Duardin list is:

30 Quarrelers

3 runelords

Burloksson

Miners

Gyrocopter

various artillery (depending on points left, I have 2 bolt thrower, 2 cannon, 1 flame cannon)

Hey, first, congrats on Fyreslayers and mixing with the master race is clearly the wisest move one could make. :P

I see a lot of synergy with FB as the armor save buff would be great on duardin. When I finally do mix the two factions my ironbreakers will be rock hard. The thing about LoL is you need all 3 heroes alive to get max advantage of +3. If it looks unlikely, I do it turn 2 before the heroes are targeted and eliminated. Sometimes turn 3 if that's what the strategy calls for. So if you hold them back and say, get double turn to shoot up army as it barrels down on you then have the LoL hearthguard come out and finish the job that's cool, just make sure you get the full advantage of them. They are BRUTAL, especially now with cheaper costs to get more. I take a unit of 15-20 with flaming poleaxe, mortal wound on 3+ for each hit in addition to damage, and pile in and attack twice. If, after you pop your priority roll bonus, you get your LoL up on the objective or key fighting point, have the battlesmith die, declare guarding the icon (can't move rest of game so that's why key spot) and then pile in and attack twice, rerolling hits and wounds. That's a *BEEEEEEP!* ton of attacks and likely mortal wounds. It's gross. I've wiped away armies with that trick.:D

Good luck and please do share more. Always good to hear about people trying the Fyreslayers and I soon will do the mix now that I've completed 100 games with just solo Fyreslayers.

6 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

Hey, first, congrats on Fyreslayers and mixing with the master race is clearly the wisest move one could make. :P

I see a lot of synergy with FB as the armor save buff would be great on duardin. When I finally do mix the two factions my ironbreakers will be rock hard. The thing about LoL is you need all 3 heroes alive to get max advantage of +3. If it looks unlikely, I do it turn 2 before the heroes are targeted and eliminated. Sometimes turn 3 if that's what the strategy calls for. So if you hold them back and say, get double turn to shoot up army as it barrels down on you then have the LoL hearthguard come out and finish the job that's cool, just make sure you get the full advantage of them. They are BRUTAL, especially now with cheaper costs to get more. I take a unit of 15-20 with flaming poleaxe, mortal wound on 3+ for each hit in addition to damage, and pile in and attack twice. If, after you pop your priority roll bonus, you get your LoL up on the objective or key fighting point, have the battlesmith die, declare guarding the icon (can't move rest of game so that's why key spot) and then pile in and attack twice, rerolling hits and wounds. That's a *BEEEEEEP!* ton of attacks and likely mortal wounds. It's gross. I've wiped away armies with that trick.:D

Good luck and please do share more. Always good to hear about people trying the Fyreslayers and I soon will do the mix now that I've completed 100 games with just solo Fyreslayers.

If I use LoL it would be to get turn 2 double turn ideally, if I go FB I am thinking about using the triple armor buff on the magmadroth and put him sideways as a tank against melee. Which do you think I should go for (essentially how I should build my hearthguard boxes/magamdroth). Also I'll post pictures of the full army when it's done!

I would since you already have lots of shooting above but you could do both. Depends on how you want to play--defensively or aggressive. For dishing out damage LoL all the way. The FB really only gives the save buff, which is great, don't get me wrong. From what I see you currently don't have much damage output, but I'm only seeing this here and not in an actual game. Can you proxy both before you complete the models to make sure you get the one you're happy with?

2 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

I would since you already have lots of shooting above but you could do both. Depends on how you want to play--defensively or aggressive. For dishing out damage LoL all the way. The FB really only gives the save buff, which is great, don't get me wrong. From what I see you currently don't have much damage output, but I'm only seeing this here and not in an actual game. Can you proxy both before you complete the models to make sure you get the one you're happy with?

I dont get many games in so probably not, will build em first. My main damage output is the Quarrellers unit/artillery, so maybe I do need the melee. Have you ever tried giving the runesmiter on magmadroth a +3 to save and using him as a wall?

Personally, and only IMO, the smiter on magmabomb is pretty worthless. He gets a once/game buff that requires a tight circle and, try and we might, the fighting bubble doesn't always hold as battle progresses. Smiters tunneling up miss the hero phase they arrive but then are spread out and 20" buff to a unit you deliver where you want. I guess my experience shows Fyreslayers easily look different on paper than practical in game. Our nerf axes are way better shooting than you'd think when 50-70-100 infantry are chucking them. :) We're durable with hair (ward) saves and can dish out tremendous damage in large numbers. Aurics have no hair save and they are squishy for us. An enemy can delete each unit like that! hearthguard with heroes in place for army-wide synergy have a 4+ Hair save. Big difference. Your duardin seem like they can cover long-range shooting :) 

1 hour ago, Veterannoob said:

Personally, and only IMO, the smiter on magmabomb is pretty worthless. He gets a once/game buff that requires a tight circle and, try and we might, the fighting bubble doesn't always hold as battle progresses. Smiters tunneling up miss the hero phase they arrive but then are spread out and 20" buff to a unit you deliver where you want. I guess my experience shows Fyreslayers easily look different on paper than practical in game. Our nerf axes are way better shooting than you'd think when 50-70-100 infantry are chucking them. :) We're durable with hair (ward) saves and can dish out tremendous damage in large numbers. Aurics have no hair save and they are squishy for us. An enemy can delete each unit like that! hearthguard with heroes in place for army-wide synergy have a 4+ Hair save. Big difference. Your duardin seem like they can cover long-range shooting :) 

Thanks for the responses! It seems that the runefather on magmadroth has a command ability that isnt that great? With the LoL formation I have a battlesmith who already rerolls saves. Do you thing the RF on magma is worth it?

Archived