Hello from Scotland!

Haanz

Hi all,

Another "returning" gamer here from Scotland. Played a good deal of 40K (3rd-4th Editions) and Warhammer Fantasy (6th Edition) and a little Necromunda back in the day, then quit playing somewhere around the region of a decade ago.

Then just over six months ago I picked up the Silver Tower boxed set, expecting it to be a bit of a one off.. how wrong I was. As soon as I finished the set, I wanted more. But there being no particularly exciting releases in the short term (I had no idea Blood Bowl and such were coming), and tempted by the notion of working on stuff one small box at a time.. I thought 'what the hell' and decided to take the plunge and get a starter box. Not being super keen on the starter sets for 40K, and already somewhat dipping my toes in Age of Sigmar, I decided to throw myself headlong into the new Fantasy and see where it took me.

Right now, I'm working on expanding both the Stormcast and the Chaos from the starter set, each with their own unique fluff and themed conversions. I've finished a 1000pts matched play list for each, with some made progress towards the next 1500 and 2000pts lists and I'm looking forward to getting some progress photos from each out in the wilds!

I'm based in Glasgow and am mostly playing with friends on my own game board with my own miniatures, but I'm interested in finding out about my local wargaming scene, which I haven't interacted with since my teenage years.

It's definitely exciting to see things are starting to gain a bit of traction!

I love the aesthetic of Fyreslayers and the Age of Myth influenced fluff, and always good to hear from another gamer interested in fluff and narrative. I started off just building from the starter set myself, but wanted to do something a little different. My Stormcast (The Azure Tempest) are built as 'human'/Stormcast reforgings of Aelf souls too corrupted from being consumed by Slaanesh to be reborn in Azyr, and my Chaos (The Wolf and the Rat) are a sort of coalition force of Bloodbound going by the less common interpretation of Khorne as the Wolf Father or the Bloodwolf, and the hardiest remains of a Skaven expeditionary force - so, some de-sci-fied Space Wolf conversions and Stormvermin and stuff. I've got a few pages of backstory written up for both of them, but I like the idea of starting from an origin story and letting my battles dictate where the story takes them.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your army, especially if the paint job in your profile photo mini is anything to go by!

That sounds awesome, Haanz.

Back in 8th, a group of my friends ran this huge map campaign and we took to writing little bits of fluff in between battles, so my dwarfs (the army I played back then) had a very in-depth backstory. I've actually been working on some writing of my own to bridge the gap between my army from the World that Was and my Age of Sigmar Fyreslayers, and I'm hoping to get a blog up and running on here to chronicle some of their adventures.

I'm actually participating in a narrative campaign being run on this very forum - you should check it out if you're quite into your fluff.

17 hours ago, Oberael said:

I'm hoping to get a blog up and running on here to chronicle some of their adventures.

I'm actually participating in a narrative campaign being run on this very forum - you should check it out if you're quite into your fluff.

Nice! Looking forward to checking both of these out!

On 21/02/2017 at 11:45 AM, stuntymike said:

Hey guys, there's a Age of Sigmar - Scotland group on Facebook if you want to get involved. There's quite a few local players around Glasgow so will be a good way to connect. 

Hey, that sounds excellent. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have permission to view it. I hit the 'Contact Us' thing and enquired, but haven't heard back. Is there a location setting or anything I need to put on my profile (I couldn't find one) or an admin I should PM about it?

Hello! I am also based in Glasgow - a returning hobbyist but brand new gamer. I'd definitely be up for some casual open games - I don't have enough time or money to get a properly crafted force underway at the moment! (I play those dirty Nurgle boys)

I had my first game at the Glasgow store last night, Tuesday is the AoS night and its very relaxed.

That's interesting. I'd looked into playing at the Glasgow shop, but wasn't sure on what the policy was for getting a game there. I see they have a late night AoS focussed night on Tuesday, but wasn't clear on whether you'd need to book games, or if that's just for learning the ropes.

Thankfully, my most consistent night to be available for gaming is Tuesdays, which seems to match up well with the G3 Gamers club in Glasgow, as well as the AoS night at the local Games Workshop, which is nice. Right now, the main thing holding me back is a lack of transport cases, I'm still waiting for the Battlefoam I ordered to arrive, and then I should be a little more mobile (I'm currently lugging everything around in an assortment of cardboard boxes right now!).

I'm actually pretty interested in dropping by to the AoS Tuesday night when I do have transport - I'd only ever popped into the shop once to see if they had any flesh coloured primer, but the nostalgia value of being surrounded by books and boxes and the familliar hardware-store kinda smell alone was strangely satisfying. Does the Games Workshop have any restrictions on how you transport your minis? That sounds ridiciulous to ask, but IIRC from my childhood playing in my local GW, there were rules against unofficial GW cases, but that might've just been for leaving them at the shop at the all-day-Saturday-for-young-uns thing. What sort of size of games do people play, and do people regularly get pick up games or do they usually plan ahead?

Lots of questions! I'll do my best to answer with my limited knowledge...

The store has a facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerGlasgow/ and they ask that you book, but there are enough tables that it shouldn't be an issue I feel (4 4x4 and 2 4x6 i believe)

There is no restriction on transport, I brought mine in cardboard boxes and bubble wrap last night, it got a chuckle but no one minded. I have only been once so I can't comment on pickup games, but having asked the staff and watched the group for a while, I'd say 1000-1500 are the most popular points sizes. The current Path to Glory is every other tuesday (started yesterday) but it's verrrry relaxed due to the low player count - and is obviously more open play than matched play. If you ever want to grab a very relaxed open play game soon, or a 1k/1.5k game later in the year, just mention me or send me a message on here! Uni is keeping me from barrelling right into the hobby but I have my core Nurgle force!

I used to go to the shop quite frequently myself, but it became quite difficult to get down for the late night gaming sessions with my 9-5 schedule. Not sure how many people at G3 are playing AoS at the moment. One of my friends goes there pretty regularly and he's been playing 30K more because he said that the folk in his circles just aren't really playing AoS at the moment.

I'm hoping to get stuck into my Fyreslayers again over the next few months, and there's nothing like some regular gaming buds to keep you motivated, so if you guys ever feel like a game just give me a shout!

21 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

Lots of questions! I'll do my best to answer with my limited knowledge...

Thanks for all the answers! Makes me feel a lot more relaxed about showing up some time.

17 hours ago, Oberael said:

I'm hoping to get stuck into my Fyreslayers again over the next few months, and there's nothing like some regular gaming buds to keep you motivated, so if you guys ever feel like a game just give me a shout!

Thanks! Once I get my stuff ready enough for the public, I definitely will for the both of you. I don't know about anyone else, but it's always a lot easier to head down to a club or a store for the first time when you've got someone already lined up to play!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

My name is Chris and I moved to Scotland a month ago, and I am looking for people eager to play Aos. As Dynamics mentioned i brought my small Sylvaneth force  for Path of Glory campaign in local Warhammer shop, but so far I only had chance to play twice with shop member.  I also have some Skaven and I would gladly play some more games. I am planning to be regularly on Tuesdays evenings in Warhammer shop, but I can also try to find some time on other days. I am interested in both narrative and matched play.

On 3/7/2017 at 11:16 PM, dreiken said:

Hello everyone!

My name is Chris and I moved to Scotland a month ago, and I am looking for people eager to play Aos. As Dynamics mentioned i brought my small Sylvaneth force  for Path of Glory campaign in local Warhammer shop, but so far I only had chance to play twice with shop member.  I also have some Skaven and I would gladly play some more games. I am planning to be regularly on Tuesdays evenings in Warhammer shop, but I can also try to find some time on other days. I am interested in both narrative and matched play.

Hi Chris!

At the moment it's a bit difficult for me to get to the shop on Tuesday evenings, but I can definitely sort out a game with you some time if you're looking for people to play with. Quite a few of my friends dabble in AoS to various degrees too. Weekends usually work best for me, but I can also do bank holidays and such.

Hi Oberael!

Good to hear that. I would gladly play with you some games. Usually when it is a nice weather I go with my girlfriend for some trips at weekends, but if it would be bad, i guess she wouldn't mind if i sneak to the shop for a game or two :)

Hi Chris! And hey guys, I could maybe be co-oerced to the shop this coming Tuesday, but I'd have to check with the other half first. Normally she's working late that day, but she's been on placement with uni and that's been messing with the schedules a little. Could definitely be available for a game on every other weekend, from the 18th onward.

What's the format been like? Has it all been Path to Glory, is it okay to just kinda jump in? I've got 1.5k of Stormcast painted up and ready to go, and I could probably muster a solid 1k of Bloodbound or Duaradin, and obviously any subset of the above.

Tbh the Path to Glory campaign didn't get enough interest to be done properly, so I am just kinda of playing with a guy at the store who keeps beating me with his Ironjawz. I don't have the time thanks to it being the last few weeks of uni to buy and paint new stuff without feeling SUPER guilty, so I am at once happy that it kind of fell apart, but sad that not many people were comitted. I hope maybe we can organise a slow growth campaign in summer, or try some Hinterlands or Narrative stuff?

Maybe we should sort out a whatsapp group? I am not averse to that, it makes it easy to decide when games are. I need a carry case though, my hasty bubblewrapped models are starting to get worse for wear!

5 hours ago, DynamicCalories said:

I am at once happy that it kind of fell apart, but sad that not many people were comitted. I hope maybe we can organise a slow growth campaign in summer, or try some Hinterlands or Narrative stuff?

Yeah, that's kinda how I'm feeling reading that. I've been growing my armies about as fast as I can, but for both of them I've had a very specific plan (with milestones at 1000, 1500, and 2000 before I call them 'finished'), and so Path to Glory wouldn't really work, especially with my hobby time limited to Tuesday evenings and every other weekend (and that's if I don't have plans on those  weekends). Standard games at anywhere from 500 to 1500 points though? That's a lot less.. uh, pressure.

All of my minis are, at best, tabletop quality though. I agree a slow growth summer campaign would be really cool for spending more time on individual minis and trying to make some improvement in my painting.

A WhatsApp group, or a Facebook group or even a specific thread with notifications on could be a good shout for organising local games at the store or elsewhere!

Archived