Bloodbound - dealing with armor?

Miller

I'm a new AoS player and I've split the starter box with a friend. We've played twice with the contents of the starter box and I've had trouble dealing with the armor saves of the Stormcast. In looking at expanding, how does Khorne deal with armor? Should I look for things with higher rend (I don't see much in Bloodbound)? Or should I look for mortal wound generation? Is it simple a matter of bringing more attacks so by sheer number of dice it will break down to more failed armor saves?

In one round last night my 20 Bloodreavers rolled 44 attack dice (not all were able to get into melee range) and I caused five wounds. Spread across two units this resulted in two casualties and two wounded models. That was a bit disappointing :) 

I guess I should say that I've already picked up some extra stuff, the addiction is real.. 

I also have another 20 Bloodreavers, the Warshrine, a Daemon Prince, a box of Bloodletters, and a Chaos Chariot. I also own Gorechosen so I have those four heroes. 

A good approach is to think of your army like a toolbox. Your bloodreavers can do immense damage to low armour targets, your Blood Warriors are strong all rounders who can hold objectives and put out a bit of damage. I like khorgoraths for being not dangerous enough for the enemy to focus fire on, but handily doing some ranged and close damage, and that battleshock impact can be great when its retributors or concussors running away. The Wrathmongers and Mighty Lord are pure scary for big enemy monsters and high cost models which helps you push them around and Skullreapers are killing machines when properly buffed. A couple of slaughterpriests dish out lots of mortal wound damage on 4+ or else again put fear into your opponent that their squishy unit will run forwards into your wall of bloodreavers.  Skullcrushers are quite tough, decent cavalry. Its a good army but you need to know how you want to play it, as it really relies on its synergy. Available to help are bloodletters, 30 of these with bloodsecrator, wrathmonger or other help to boost +tohit quickly turns it into a glass cannon of mortal wounds.

So against stormcast or other well armoured forces such as seraphon, you are going to need enough mortal wounds or -2 rend attacks to get the job done, or else a ton of less damaging attacks. When using bloodsecrator(s) and wrathmongers I like to go with a bloodthirster of insensate rage or skullgrinder, those +A scale best with the big damage/low number attacks of these guys and make them excellent value for their 280 points - and they certainly tend to draw more attention from the enemy than their cost warrants.

If you want to stick with Khorne a skullcannon can get you a nice ranged can opener.

If you are ok with some rats warp lighting cannons are pretty awesome.

Either unit gives you something to get through armor while also giving you the ability to reach out and touch units that won't get into chopping range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloodletters would be my initial thought as they all are kitted out with -1 rend blades and cause Mortal's on to hit of 6+ (as mentioned above by Wotyn).  They are fragile though and ideally you need a decent sized unit.

I'd also suggest looking at Wrathmongers and Skullreapers with Daemon Weapons.  Wrathmongers are vicious (though not cheap) and act as a great tin opener.

This is just how I did it but, Bloodletters instead of reavers, with easy access to buffs for more attacks and bonuses to hit they become rather beastmode, as 2-3 attacks instead of 1, plus the possibility of generating mortal wounds on 5's or even 4's is amazing. Frankly I think Bloodletters are better in a Bloodbound army than in a pure Khorne daemons army :P

they are 40 pts more than the reavers, but you get way better stats, like a 5+ save instead of - , bravery 10 (and a banner that gets you bloodletters back on a 1), a weapon with rend and mortal wounds. Totally worth it imo.

Oh and bring a Slaughterpriest! He has a 16" d6 mortal wound prayer, and another one that can pull enemy units off objectives. 

On 2/20/2017 at 5:44 AM, RuneBrush said:

Bloodletters would be my initial thought as they all are kitted out with -1 rend blades and cause Mortal's on to hit of 6+ (as mentioned above by Wotyn).  They are fragile though and ideally you need a decent sized unit.

I'd also suggest looking at Wrathmongers and Skullreapers with Daemon Weapons.  Wrathmongers are vicious (though not cheap) and act as a great tin opener.

I was also thinking of Bloodletters as explained above. They have the keyword Khorne so the get all those synergy bosuses.

Archived