Order wizard in Gnarlroot Wargrove

Ian R

Question

Does the order wizard benefit from Sylvaneth attributes like being able to Navigate Realmroots, be the subject of a Regrowth spell from another Sylvaneth wizard, avoid the attack from a Wyldwood Roused by magic, enjoy Sylvaneth general's command ability, etc, etc?

8 answers to this question

As I understand the rules, about the only thing an Order wizard would benefit from would be the healing from the Sylvaneth wizards. Traveling the Realm roots and immunity to the Sylvaneth Woods attacks would not apply since they do not have the keyword SYLVANETH. 

They can choose a spell from the Deepwood Spell Lore. This is because they are a WIZARD in a SYLVANETH allegiance.

But they cannot take an Artefact.
They cannot Navigate Realmroots.
They will be harmed by the Wyldwoods Roused by Wrath ability. 
They are not affected by the Treelord Ancients Command Ability.
They can be targeted by Regrowth, but they cannot regain D6 wounds, instead they can only gain D3. 

This is because they do not have the SYLVANETH Keyword.

This old chestnut (pun intended). There are very subtle differences between the requirements. In the middle of the page entitled Artefacts of the Glades, the wording begins "Any SYLVANETH HERO" can be given a magical artefact. The Order Wizard has only inherited the Sylvaneth keyword for the purposes of listbuilding (e.g. if you needed to have pure Sylvaneth to unlock a Battleline unit) and for choosing an allegiance pack (i.e. so you can pick Sylvaneth Allegiance Pack rather than the Order Allegiance Pack). The Order Wizard doesn't inherit the keyword for in-game purposes, i.e. buffs and synergies.

Conversely, the Lore requirement is Wizard in a Sylvaneth Army, which is less restrictive.

The other possibility is that you can use the Forest Spirits rule as this applies to a Sylvaneth unit or a Sylvaneth Battalion. The latter would include (say) Gnarlroot and hence include the Order Wizard. This probably doesn't make much of a difference, since you'll then be bringing on the wizard in the movement phase - so after the hero phase - but there might be the odd occasion where it would matter.

Where this most arguably makes sense is for the Guardians of Alarielle battalion, which includes a bunch of Stormcast Eternals and some Sylvaneth. In this case, the whole lot could hide in the Hidden Enclaves and pop out (9" away) using the Forest Spirits rule.

You could probably argue that you could deploy part of a Battalion containing Order Units within the Hidden Enclaves and part not if you really wanted to.

A little Orange lightbulb has just gone off in my head.  

I was never too sure about this. Roll on Teclis with Reaping!

Roll on that Snowball killing 200 points in a single shot.

Also worth noting that by this logic non Sylvaneth generals in Sylvaneth lists can pick a Sylvaneth command trait too.

Interesting spot. Gnarled Warrior could be interesting for some generals, although you would likely be sacrificing the right to take a useful Command Ability (both Alarielle and the Ancient have exceptionally good command abilities).

Archived