Warhammer Quest: The Silver Tower. Hopes and dreams

I like dealing Mortal Wounds to create more Pink Horrors (that aren't affecting by the usual Summoning rules), that split into Blue and then Brimstone.

I'm going to run them like that. Have him soak up attention. Will be using some of these models at a 4-player day we have planned at the end of the month.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like dealing Mortal Wounds to create more Pink Horrors (that aren't affecting by the usual Summoning rules), that split into Blue and then Brimstone.

While I agree that this isn't "classic summoning", at least in SCGT these models would need to be in your summoning pool:

Q: Do I need to include models in my summoning pool for abilities which bring models on the table?
A: Yes, for simplicity sake every new unit set up must have been paid for with either your warband or summoning pool. Exception to this is healing units back to starting strength (Blood knights banner for example) But they can never go above the starting size of the unit.

This basically obliterates Neferata's special rule, converting heroes into Vampires and the Dreaded Thirteenth Spell from Skreech (since you wouldn't risk using the pool for this on the off chance).

I'm not sure about the Lord of Chaos - who converts into a Chaos Spawn on death - that might still work. 

4 hours ago, Nico said:

While I agree that this isn't "classic summoning", at least in SCGT these models would need to be in your summoning pool:

This basically obliterates Neferata's special rule, converting heroes into Vampires and the Dreaded Thirteenth Spell from Skreech (since you wouldn't risk using the pool for this on the off chance).

I'm not sure about the Lord of Chaos - who converts into a Chaos Spawn on death - that might still work. 

But how does that work with Fireblast. You can summon D6 pink horrors with the Fireblast spell from Ogroid Thaumaturge. Since you pay pink horrors per 10, it seems a bit naf that it still falls under your summoning pool, while it's just as likely to only summon 1 horror as 6 (which is still not 10).

The gaunt summoner is a lot clearer, as you actually summon a unit (of most likely 10) per his ability.

And how does this work with pink, blue and brimstone horrors? They are a 'new' unit, but only appear once the pink or blue horrors die? Do they too follow under the summoning rules? Can be quite interesting, as you basically buy additional wounds for your horrors, albeit weaker ones.

But how does that work with Fireblast.

Well that house rule clearly covers that ability, so you need the models in your pool (i.e. you will not put them in the pool, so you don't get the models on). This is the same as the Tzeentch Chaos Sorceror's spell. 

Arguably it also covers the splitting of one Pink into two Blues. This is probably a house rule that could be looked at for the sake of fun - perhaps it needs some named exceptions as it does devalue/defluff a lot of these Warscrolls.

The alternative is to cost the horrors appropriately, now they split in to Blue then Brimstone horrors.

Perhaps having two costs. Native Pink Horrors, and those that split. It's no good costing them more now, because the other horrors aren't available direct.

One point about the new Gaunt Summoner is that the familiars are down on the table and yet they cannot be attacked or attack. If they still block models from moving, then I'm a bit concerned that some people will use this to create an invincible shield of familiars to block people from attacking him in melee - which makes no sense as the familiars are tiny - effectively they are 3 dimensional tokens to represent his special rules. I'd suggest a house rule that units can move through the familiars, or attack the GS by attacking the familiars. 

5 minutes ago, Nico said:

One point about the new Gaunt Summoner is that the familiars are down on the table and yet they cannot be attacked or attack. If they still block models from moving, then I'm a bit concerned that some people will use this to create an invincible shield of familiars to block people from attacking him in melee - which makes no sense as the familiars are tiny - effectively they are 3 dimensional tokens to represent his special rules. I'd suggest a house rule that units can move through the familiars, or attack the GS by attacking the familiars. 

I think it just adds another dimension of play. Think of the familiars as jumping in the faces and generally being a nuisance and preventing the GS from being attacked. It just means you will need to either shoot him, or swarm him with models.

Anything that adds diversity and different tactics to this game is good in my eyes.

Saying that, in 40K/30K it states in the rules that familiars may be represented by a model on the battlefield but are not considered part of the game play itself.

3 hours ago, Nico said:

Well that house rule clearly covers that ability, so you need the models in your pool (i.e. you will not put them in the pool, so you don't get the models on). This is the same as the Tzeentch Chaos Sorceror's spell. 

Arguably it also covers the splitting of one Pink into two Blues. This is probably a house rule that could be looked at for the sake of fun - perhaps it needs some named exceptions as it does devalue/defluff a lot of these Warscrolls.

So, if i buy 1 summoning pool of 10 horrors, and i cast fireblast for d5 mortal wounds, does that mean i use up the whole 10 pink horror summoning pool, or simply deduct 5 from the 10?

So, if i buy 1 summoning pool of 10 horrors, and i cast fireblast for d5 mortal wounds, does that mean i use up the whole 10 pink horror summoning pool, or simply deduct 5 from the 10?

Deduct 5.

Archived