• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Blue Horror warscroll:

Hide contents

Captura_de_pantalla_2016-05-10_a_les_0.2

now this rise a lot, sorry tons of questions:

- will it have an effect on the cost of Pink Horrors in all comp packs, suddenly they got another bonus in two additional 'blue' wounds which bite and shoot

- can blue horrors be bought as a standalone unit

- are you obliged to split pink horrors into two blue ones, if not, will pink horrors be cheaper

- will this affect pink horrors warscroll #AnyUpdate #WillGWgiveaFaQ

Oh Tzeentch how hidden and mysterious your ways are...

14 hours ago, Kinglizard said:

So are those Characters that 'Leaked' all that come with the box do you think?

never played the original quest so this is all fresh and exciting for me, mostly excited about new models that can be used for AOS too. 

there are also bonus tokens and gold foil character cards for stores ordering 20

I'm attending an Age of Sigmar "tournament" at my local GW on Saturday. I plan to pre-order there and hopefully he will have a demo copy in. I'm pretty sure I recall them having Betrayal at Calth and Deathwatch in a week early for demos so fingers crossed!

9 hours ago, Phantajisto said:

They MUST do the Tzaangors and Acolytes as their own boxsets for the Tzeentch Arcanists faction, surely? Like Blood Reavers and Blood Warriors from the starter set... Maybe in a couple of months?

I'm hoping for this too. I'd want to run 10/20 of the tzaangors. No way I'm going to buy three or more copies of the game. 

Had a bit of intro game at Warhammer World yesterday. The models are beautiful. 

From what I heard people who tried it at WHF were very happy yesterday. The game sounds really fun. Can't wait to paint some heroes (and I need Fimirs!! All dungeons need them, even Tzeentchy ones ?)

1 hour ago, Dez said:

Has anyone found any reviews in gameplay besides the Bad Dice podcast? I'd like to see some more if the gameplay before I make a decision.

Saw this on another forum:

Ok, so I spent a good two+ hours playing this game yesterday and look through the rules, mini's and asking questions about its future.

This mini review shall hopefully bridge a relationship between those who have played the original and those that have not and show perspectives from both points of view.

So firstly:
I'm a huge fan of the original, I own it, have wracked up countless hours playing it, it's expansions and WD releases - fantastic game.

Is this a carbon copy of it? Certainly not. But I'm really glad it's not. For as much as I LOVE the original, it would last or make an impact in today's market to warrant a re-print. Games have evolved since the 90's but for anyone who hasn't played the original I highly recommend it.

Back to Silver Tower - I also definitely recommend it. It feels similar but different - in a positive way. Here's a summary of my thoughts and findings which will hopefully shed some light into everything.

So, in brief:

You can play solo, either with 1 character or controlling multiple characters. 

Monsters spawn when a room is explored or can also ambush you like in the original, but the mechanic of how this is done is different and much improved (there's no denying the wizard rolling a 1 was a mechanic that needed improving)

There's a whole host of events that can happen, with similar tables as seen in the original RP book.

Monster don't just do the same thing each turn, they have a d6 table so their actions can vary slightly, much like how monster magic user in the original cast a different spell from a table each turn. This is an improvement from the original as it makes the monster more dynamic - the equivalent of a computer game's AI being improved.

Heroes also have multiple options and there's definitely a feel that your choices are more tactical. Yes, both iterations you still had to decide 'do I wound the Minotaur so I weaken him for the next player to finish off, or do I wrack up the kills and free up space by deathblowing all these goblins around me'. But now you also have the option of do I use this weaker attack that's more likely to hit but does less damage, or do I use this other attack that is less likely to hit but will definitely kill it!

Healing is improved. Anyone can heal by effectively resting and giving up some actions that turn. Characters like warrior priests can also heal themselves and others through actions. It means your far less reliant on potions, rations, or having a wizard in the party.

'Levelling' is there, but no-ones counting. In that your not a leve X but you do gain skills, and a much wider variety of skills, so you can play the same characters and whilst at the core they're the same, as they leve they can end up Having quite different experiences - like the Chaos warrior or Elf Ranger from the original. For me, variety is great but too much variety may not be everyone's cup of tea.

You gain XP (or renown) from kills and through doing heroic feats that are akin to your hero's skills and abilities. It's not just about getting the killing blow, so whilst you may still get people kill stealing it's less likely to happen.

The game scales very well to both character levels and number. The amount of monsters that spawn is on a per character basis, and events and how powerful/what type monsters are will depend on how much renown the party has as a whole. This Allows for both solo play with either 1 character or more, and means the game accommodates mixed levelled parties. Yes, the original could do this but the new mechanic is more streamlined and feels fairer.

So, what's missing;

Currently there's no 'go back to town to restock' mechanic. Heroes can kinda retrain - if they have a skill they don't like they can effectively get rid of it at the end of a dungeon. The pay off here is that you don't have a bunch of skills you don't use or aren't suited to your play style that are making the game harder (remember, difficulty scales to how many skills a party has). But you've also got to remember that you're not going from dungeon to dungeon - you're trapped in a shape-shifting labyrinth of a tower, where you find all 8 pieces of an amulet or you're cursed to forever wonder this maze. Imagine rather than different dungeons, you defending deeper into the same dungeon.

Perhaps as they bring out other expansions (which I'm hoping for and if this sells well they will) there will also be introduced a 'out of dungeon' mechanic like the original. So you can visit town after escaping the silver tower but before heading to the golden fortress or diamond dungeon.

You can find treasure or useful items such as potions, warps tone bombs, etc but a lot of these are one use. You can't find say a new set of armour or a new sword. However, I believe that skills and some items can buff your damage output, resistance etc. It also avoids having a T10 barbarian walking around all armoured up with noting being able to damage him (*chuckle* my friends wondered why I was saving all my gold and just spending it on armour and not levelling when playing the original!).

So, overall;

As previously mentioned, if your looking for a carbon copy of the original, this isn't it. However, that doesn't mean it's not for you. If you like dungeon crawlers in general this is a very good, perhaps even a great game.

What's fantastic is all the support GW are currently putting behind this and planning for the future. This is a game that will just grow and grow.

Whilst it is a bit different, a lot of changes that have been made are either improvements or just slightly different ways of doing things.

For big fans of the original I would say go in with an open mind and think 'I'm going to try out a new dungeon crawler', not 'I'm going to play the original WHQ'. You may well end up liking it, it's pretty fun and addictive. Then again it might not be for you still which is fine.

The mechanics have been improve, and the models look great if they're to your taste, there's no denying that. Although the 'RPG' element is pretty light, there's currently no reason why this can't be expanded at a later date.

For me, I've ordered my copy and it will sit on my game shelf, right next to the original, as I continue to play the original and also add another great dungeon crawler to the collection.

Archived