Stormcast - Help on deciding what units to build from box sets

MattyN

Hi guys

I have a AOS starter set built up, a Start collecting box and the holiday release. My question is how should I assemble my 2nd unit of prosecuters, the 20 unassembled liberators I have, knight venator or azyros?, the 2 dracothian guard and the paladins. I already have assembled, 10 liberators with hammer and shield. 3 prosecuters with dual hammers, lord celestant on dracoth, 5 retributers, 5 judicators with bow and lord celestant on foot.

To me this is either what do you think looks cool vs what are you planning on using. I think if you have a list in mind, then that should tell you how you are assembling them. Some units have some things you need to read their warscrolls about (such as Judicators with the leader with the shockbow as hits easier) but in general you should do what you want to do ;) 

I was definitely thinking of doing that with the liberators. I also have looked at giving the special weapons etc to primes! I was thinking building some decimators with other paladin set. Have heard mixed reviews on javelin prosecutors ? The Azyros is no longer a beacon im afraid :( With the liberators should I go all hammers and shield, or are swords even a little worth it?

7 minutes ago, MattyN said:

I was definitely thinking of doing that with the liberators. I also have looked at giving the special weapons etc to primes! I was thinking building some decimators with other paladin set. Have heard mixed reviews on javelin prosecutors ? The Azyros is no longer a beacon im afraid :( With the liberators should I go all hammers and shield, or are swords even a little worth it?

Hammers and swords are the same unless to hit modifiers comes into play.

When +1 to hit comes you must be aware that you can't go below 2+ to hit and that the special rules of the liberators + the command of the Lord Celestant on foot can't stack on swords as it would mean 1+ to hit. So hammers win here.

When -1 to hit comes, it might get scary to hit on 5+ or worse with your hammers, so swords seems better here.

On a final note, we now know that there is a special formation that offers special bonus for swords and lances bearers. But nothing on hammers for now.

My best advice is to wait for the battletome.

6 hours ago, Criti said:

Swords and hammers are basically identical by the numbers.

Hammers get slightly better if you stack some hit buffs, but only by about 0.3 wounds over 11 attacks.

So take what you like.

With +1 to hit hammers are 4% better than swords, with -1 to hit swords are 3% better than hammer.

If you're playing at a level where that kind of margin matters than you're already so much better than me that any advice would be worthless.

Archived