Painting Advice - Smoke/Fire Billow

mrstimpson38

So I want to make this look like a very dark, ashey, plume of smoke with the hint of a fire at its core starting from the very base.649d9a711b7622a23ba13cb31052e89f.jpg Would anyone kindly share some advice on how I could achieve that look? If anyone knows of a video that covers painting fires/smoke I'd love to see those too.

I was thinking about (trying to) blending some Abaddon Black into an Eshin Grey coat, with dry-brush of Kindleflame at the base, then a layer of Fuegan Orange. Blending the black/grey as needed back over the oranges. But maybe dry brushing wouldn't be the best idea, because the flame is supposed to be in the recess... Uggg... Please help me!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Paint the fire first, using any technique you're happy using. Do the entire length of the plume.

Then once that's dry, start building up first the black and dark grey colours with dry brushing, the aim is to slow darken and blacken the darkest areas with only light touches of the dark colours at the base. Once this is done, wash it with Fuegan Orange or Bloodletter glaze to give the dark colours a hint of orange and finally pick out the light spots in Eshin Grey

Archived