Death and destruction expansion

CDM

Hi first time posting here so apologies if I got this in the wrong place!

I've really enjoyed the splitting of the factions into sub factions especially with how they expanded flesh eater courts and sylvaneth into very unique armies in thier own right.

Looking at death and destruction though, how would you want them to expand now as they look a bit thin compared to the other hand alliances? Any of the particular subject factions or races expanded on? What sort of new units and ideas would you like to see?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome ;)

I personally think they have something cool planned for Death. I think they want to move away from the traditional army of the dead theme and do something cool and with the way the background is (i.e anything due to magical realms and infinite possibilities) anything can happen.

Same with Destruction. I think Ironjaws and Bonesplittaz are our traditional Greenskins but I'm hoping for an army of Trolls and Giants. 

It's all down to what cool models they come up with and how they can fit them in ;) 

1 minute ago, Druchiilord94 said:

I really hope they don't move away from the army of the dead theme with death. I love the idea of a necromancer or vampire raising him a entire army of the dead enslaved to his will

It still will be there but I think anything new will be this new concept they want to do.

For death I would like to see a mortal church that is dedicated to honouring/revering dead ancestors and protecting their well earned rest. It could be quite a priest heavy army, led by a bishop of rest supported by his ecclesiastical team as well as Warrior priests and acolytes. And when trouble really hits some undead eg resurrected warrior heros or infusing your army with ancestral skills, or just a plain undead host :)

for destruction maybe some form of elemental sub-faction(s) based on earth wind and fire dedicated to 70s funk and groovy bass lines, or big trolls 

I would like to see a Warscroll "template" that can be applied to any other, warscoll in the game to represent the dead.

I don't know exactly how that template would be handled.  Maybe something like:

- Apply a -1 to hit penalty to all weapons.

- Apply a -1 Save to all models in a Dead unit

- Adjust a Dead unit's Bravery to 10

- Replace any banner related rules with "During the Hero Phase, return d3 models to a unit carrying a banner"

Other things to consider would be Command Abilities...how powerful certain Hero buffs could be... so like I said, I don't have the answers for how the template should be written... i just think there should be a template.

Mortal death could be anything from death cults to churches of ancestor worship, there are lots of parallels in the real world for inspiration.

Churches of the ancestor with the followers aiming to let their dead rest in peace and who will stop at nothing to ensure that. In times of need their ancestors come back to support them e.g. Spirit hosts or summoned spirits of hero ancestors. 

A death cult could be dedicated to ending life as the realms are doomed due to the fighting factions. They are not after peace but to escape to the afterlife. They want to bring the gift of death to all so they are free from the carnage in the realms. Led by a charismatic demagogue and supported by hordes of loons and perhaps the undead sent to help them.

voodoo zombie cults - top hats, skulls, dodgy stews and people converted to zombies - what is not to like. Led by a hero who looks like the baddy from dr no supported by a horde of extravagant 'musicians' who confuse the enemy with their cacophony of funeral dirges while the converted zombies eat them :)

35 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

A colourful death army based on the aesthetic of those Day of the Dead parades in places like Mexico would look awesome!

I did a google search for images of voodoo miniatures and there is loads of inspiration out there. Even baron samedi :)

a colourful army of extravengant posed figures, it would look amazing and add a great aesthetic to the game 

I think that's the problem with death, it's quite hard to differentiate between sub factions,  flesh eater courts was a brilliant idea though and I would like to see more improvisation like that. destruction has had a great start with the bonesplitterz, iron jawz and beast claw raiders and all the flavours of grots really helps with the variety

On the idea of Destruction getting an update: combine some factions. Gutbusters, Maneaters, and Firebellies really don't need to be three separate factions now. Expand and review Greenskinz and Gitmob Grots to be useable together again (aka the old Orks & Goblins). It may not bring the factions back onto the competitive scene, but hopefully it'll be enough to get something other than the cookie cutter "Mixed Destruction" and Ironjawz lists into some tournaments.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Ironjawz, and hope to see them expanded. But right now these factions feel like they are there more for legacy than anything else.

5 hours ago, Druchiilord94 said:

Please gw do not give us a mortal death faction. 

I actually think this would add a new side to the Grand Alliance.  Currently everything in the Grand Alliance book could be covered as Grand Alliance: Nagash as he ultimately holds control over it (disclaimer: I'm not sure how FEC falls into this now).  One of the things about the other Grand Alliances is that they naturally have multiple Gods/rulers - factions in Order don't all follow Sigmar for example.  By adding in a "mortal" component you can pull in some of the old world Morr concepts - yes it's necromancy but tackled in a different way to the morally dubious Necromancer.  

I actually think this is currently the biggest issue with the background part of Death, there aren't enough players - Nagash has everything and Tomb Kings are currently sat to one side until we know what happened to them.  All of the other Grand Alliances have quite a few protagonists, and until we get more for Death we're going to continue to struggle a bit.

There are mortal followers of Nagash in the Warhammer World exclusive novel and they're really well done - resurrection is part of their culture - not an evil villain resurrecting corpses to do their willing but people who are genuinely concerned about the fate of their family.

You find this out in the first two pages so I don't think it's a spoiler

2 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

There are mortal followers of Nagash in the Warhammer World exclusive novel and they're really well done - resurrection is part of their culture - not an evil villain resurrecting corpses to do their willing but people who are genuinely concerned about the fate of their family.

You find this out in the first two pages so I don't think it's a spoiler

Not to be wish listing... but doesn't that ultimately confirm that it will eventually be a faction? Given the analogy to the rule that if a model is in a piece of art then it either exists or is about to exist.

I dont think we'll see other death gods in the Death Alliance... but I do think we will see other "leaders". My speculated list of subfaction leaders:

• Nagash as "overlord"
  • The Carrion King and the FEC - but never getting a model
  • Arkhan and the Deathrattle - (Is this not a solid band name?)
  • Neferatta and Nulamians - vampiric high society
  • Mannfred and "outcasts" - vampiric low society with more thralls
  • Church of Nagash - Mortal followers with a mortal priest/necromancers
  • A "mummy" faction with leader - Currently the whole mummy undeath element is missing. Possibly modern tomb kings resurgence based on posthumous popularity (heh heh heh). But also possible more asian. Terracotta warriors with mummy leaders anyone?
  • Night haunt faction - not sure would get a "leader", possibly a "super banshee"
  • Dead walkers - leaders don't suit this at all. Would see this being a supporting faction only
  • Dead mages - would imagine this either roles into a "Church of Death" or that mages would be able to get "Undeath Lores"
    • Bite of the Deadwalker - to gain "Dead walker" keyword and some associated magic benefits associated with that faction.
    • Rattle of Death - etc.
    • Blight of Soul - etc. etc.

The only way, that fits with the current fluff, for there to be a non nagash aligned death group is for them to be not entirely dead. Maybe mummies (like Settra) can do this, but other than this I don't know.

Just some thoughts!

Archived